Back to International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

“International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice” is the first MOOC of the Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum on International Humanitarian Law, which is the platform within the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies of Leiden University for the research, teaching and dissemination of international humanitarian law (IHL). In this course, Prof. Robert Heinsch, Dr. Giulia Pinzauti and Dr. Emma Irving will give you a deep insight into the rules that govern armed conflict, and aim to mitigate human suffering on the battlefield. You will explore the why and how of IHL, followed by the different types of conflict. In no time you will find out which rules apply to the civil war in Syria, the military intervention in Ukraine and the occupation of the West Bank. During this course, you will learn how hostilities should be waged: Which weapons can be used by combatants and other fighters? And, who should never be a target during military operations? We will also look into the concept of protected persons, and you will find out how IHL affords protection to the sick and wounded, medical personal, detainees, children, journalists and other persons who are not - or not anymore - fighting. At the end of this course, you are introduced to the different implementation and enforcement mechanisms that aim to increase respect for IHL. Here, you are invited to think critically whether IHL works! Throughout this course you will benefit from a mix of theory and practice, which is at the heart of the vision and mandate of the Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum. You can participate for instance in an ongoing case study where drones are flying over the fictitious country Arfula, and detainees are locked up in tiny cells. Or, you can join our discussions about IHL success stories and the major IHL challenges we face today, with distinguished speakers from the International Committee of the Red Cross and US Naval War College! This course is free to join and to participate in. There is the possibility to get a verified certificate for the course, which is a paid option. If you want a certificate, but are unable to pay for it, you can request financial aid via Coursera....

AK
Dec 14, 2018

this course is helpful in basic understanding of IHL and in understanding the difference between Human rights laws and IHL enforcements . Teaching Faculty clarified simplified the overview very well.

VS
May 30, 2019

A really very wonderful, articulate and helpful course. The Professors were great with their knowledge and presentations. The practical insight given by the guest-speakers were just priceless.

76 - 100 of 223 Reviews for International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice

By Soumaya

Jun 7, 2020

I am absolutly delighted with this course! I have gained a great understanding of IHL and it did broaden my perspective of law in war times.

Thank you!

By Maroof R

Aug 19, 2019

Though it was my first MOOC, but the kind of which made me interested for more electronic self-education! Indeed a perfect website to excel and thrive!

By Tofail A

Sep 27, 2019

As a humanitarian, it's a highly demanded course to me. Will put in my practice and so on the "International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice"

By Ewa R

Jul 31, 2019

Very comprehensive course, which helped me to systematize my knowledge. I definitely recommend it, and am thankful for the possibility to take it!

By Chris S

Feb 17, 2020

i do like this course and you do can learn something if you study this course hard, it also expands and renovates my knowledge to IHL!! i like it

By Wayne A T

This course is great. Thank You to all those who made this online course possible and for sparing your time to us who participated. Mabuhay!!!

By Amanda F O

May 11, 2019

Enlightening and complete, this course is a great option for anyone who wants to learn important concepts of IHL. I strongly recommend it.

By Aimé B

Nov 17, 2019

Very clear, straight to the point. With basic knowledge I acquired, I aim to learn more through the additional recommended readings.

By Jana C R

Feb 24, 2019

An excellent primer on international humanitarian law with useful reading material and interesting interviews with practitioners.

By Diego R V A

Jun 28, 2020

Excelente curso y las temáticas verificadas enb un dinámico material de estudio. Muy actualizados los profesores. Muchas gracias

By Nico

Oct 18, 2019

Great course to get an introduction to IHL. I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a basic knowledge of the field.

By Aanchal K

May 2, 2019

Wonderful Course! Helped me a lot in understanding International Humanitarian Law. Podcasts were my favourite part :)

By Naser D

Mar 29, 2021

It was great

For the first time I was able to finish a course here

And for the next periods, it gave me a lot of hope.

By STELLA J R

Feb 7, 2020

This Course equipped me with knowledge and materials I needed to further deepen my knowledge of IHL. I am grateful.

By Isibor K N

May 17, 2019

Wonderful. Simply wonderful!! Although I recommend more topics in the future, like the "responsibility to protect".

By Michaela E

Apr 26, 2020

Course was very engaging and I feel I have gained a lot of usefule knowledge in terms of IHL and its application.

By Sophie M

Mar 17, 2019

This course was truly amazing! Very thorough- I learned a lot! Definitely am going to take another Leiden course!

By ABOG. Y M A G

Jan 13, 2020

Excellent course, very interesting, and the best thing is that it tests your knowledge in theory and practice.

By Samuel T

Apr 21, 2021

It was a good course for me, the lecturer gave a great perspective to me about International Humanitarian Law

By Khalaf M I

Jul 5, 2020

top stuff, amazing course and very good interviews with professional people who knows about the subject well.

By Zafira B

Sep 26, 2020

Pensar com o todo ampliando a visão de diversos ângulos e checando os registros em suas etapas do processo.

By Virginia M C

Great way to get a general and somehow more specific knowledge of IHL and war conflicts. It was inspiring

By Samson K

Dec 20, 2018

Am already impressed with the introductory animations and notes, it's an awesome course worth a take👌👏

By Charvi D

Jun 4, 2020

I was a truest enlightening experience.It Dave critical and analytical view of each and every concept.

By Francesco P G

Mar 21, 2021

Exceptional Course. I would suggest to establish a direct connection between student and professors.