Back to International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

“International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice” is the first MOOC of the Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum on International Humanitarian Law, which is the platform within the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies of Leiden University for the research, teaching and dissemination of international humanitarian law (IHL). In this course, Prof. Robert Heinsch, Dr. Giulia Pinzauti and Dr. Emma Irving will give you a deep insight into the rules that govern armed conflict, and aim to mitigate human suffering on the battlefield. You will explore the why and how of IHL, followed by the different types of conflict. In no time you will find out which rules apply to the civil war in Syria, the military intervention in Ukraine and the occupation of the West Bank. During this course, you will learn how hostilities should be waged: Which weapons can be used by combatants and other fighters? And, who should never be a target during military operations? We will also look into the concept of protected persons, and you will find out how IHL affords protection to the sick and wounded, medical personal, detainees, children, journalists and other persons who are not - or not anymore - fighting. At the end of this course, you are introduced to the different implementation and enforcement mechanisms that aim to increase respect for IHL. Here, you are invited to think critically whether IHL works! Throughout this course you will benefit from a mix of theory and practice, which is at the heart of the vision and mandate of the Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum. You can participate for instance in an ongoing case study where drones are flying over the fictitious country Arfula, and detainees are locked up in tiny cells. Or, you can join our discussions about IHL success stories and the major IHL challenges we face today, with distinguished speakers from the International Committee of the Red Cross and US Naval War College! This course is free to join and to participate in. There is the possibility to get a verified certificate for the course, which is a paid option. If you want a certificate, but are unable to pay for it, you can request financial aid via Coursera....

AK
Dec 14, 2018

this course is helpful in basic understanding of IHL and in understanding the difference between Human rights laws and IHL enforcements . Teaching Faculty clarified simplified the overview very well.

VS
May 30, 2019

A really very wonderful, articulate and helpful course. The Professors were great with their knowledge and presentations. The practical insight given by the guest-speakers were just priceless.

201 - 225 of 239 Reviews for International Humanitarian Law in Theory and Practice

By Ahmad A A

Feb 6, 2021

thanks

By Hafiz M A

Jun 2, 2019

Best.

By Soni s

Good

By Hamdan M M A

Apr 22, 2020

Good

By ALESSANDRO B

Jan 28, 2021

A

f

g

b

ag the Honours Certificate. Nothing of such had been brought to my knowledge. I would like to see such indicated on my profile so I could get those done and over with. In all, I admire this programme a great deal, and envisage it will go on to enhance my chance being gainfully employed. I would equally appreciate hard copy of my original Certificate post to my door step ( mail box). I would also welcome counselling on way forward, -what I need do next to improve upon myself. Such should be within the legal studies and gainful employment. Let me also use this opportunity say a big thank you to the tutors and organizers that made this programme possible. It was educative, informative and most intriguing, I appreciate you all. Regards. Anthony Ogbeide (DipHe Laws).

By Jessica B

Mar 17, 2021

The content was really engaging and the legal resources were plentiful! I really enjoyed the combination of videos/reading/podcast.

My only criticism (and I am not sure if this is the course creators or coursera), is that the estimated times for completion was underestimated! It would give a reading assignment for 30 mins for 38 pages! Or 40 mins for 50 pages! It approximated the time needed to complete the work at 2.5 hours/week but really it takes 5+ hours. To be fair, that is based on "the average time others take to complete the material" so maybe they are all speed readers..

I am not complaining about the workload, I really enjoyed the textbook, but the course doesn't give a realistic time frame. This could complicate things for people that are working on a more strict schedule.

By Luca P

Jun 20, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. It gave me some basic tools and overview of law framework which now allow me to have a better understanding war conflict situation in which IHL apply and how.

It was particularly useful for me to have the chance to download the text of the videos in order to have the chance to read what was said in the videos. Thanks to all the coordinators to put togheter all the materials!

By J P W

Dec 22, 2018

Outstanding course. The materials was clear and well presented. Some of the quiz questions could have been clearer. The presentation takes into account the advances and positive aspects of IHL, but in some respects fails to recognize the inherent flaws relating to implementation and enforcement in the face of a new and ambiguous transnational type of armed conflict.

By Jon S

Mar 16, 2019

Very easy to follow and to learn for a non-law person. However, I had one issue with the quizes. When the ansers were wrong it was very hard to see or learn why it was wrong other than going back to the curriculum. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but would find it interesting if there was a better means to ensure learning efficiency.

By Sudhir P

Very good exposure to many deeper facets of International Humanitarian Law. Easy paced and well structured, the readings that I was exposed to was the major takeaway. If there is one thing that is missing is automatic scrolling of video transcripts as in Lynda.Com now Linked Learning and transcripts of the audio lectures.

By Emayaval N

Jan 16, 2019

I found the course helpful. It would have been better if all the details have been covered in the video lectures instead of making it necessary to read book. I found that the books had few extra information that was not covered in the video.

By Diabe P

May 28, 2019

Thank you Coursera, through this forum i have learnt a lot i never thought was possible. the good thing with this is that you can learnt anywhere, anytime, and at your own pace and time. i will highly recommend this forum to anyone.

By AKUL D

Sep 14, 2020

A very insightful course into the field of International humanitarian law and practice. The application of the law and Geneva convention of 1949 and additional protocols 1 and 2 both play a vital role herein.

By Nymoom S

Apr 29, 2020

I have had a tremendous experience taking the course. Because the contents were so articulately decorated and the instructors were very deliberate in response to giving lectures. Learnt a lot.

By Derek D (

Jun 6, 2020

A good basic course, but with some questions to the academic gap between videos and the comprehensive material which can be downloaded.

The general impression is, however, very good

By Mary B

Sep 14, 2019

The course could have been more interactive and the discussion forums better managed, but overall the content was very good and I was able to gain a sound basic knowledge of IHL.

By Dayo O

Jun 15, 2021

t​he course was enlightening, i was able to learn a-lot and i would definitely be about to implement what i have learnt in situation i want to be in.

By Abu B J

Jun 11, 2020

I had an amazing experience learning about the International Humanitarian Law and look forward to more such online courses through Coursera !!

By Amin Z

Nov 28, 2019

Please add more topics, videos and materials to this course. It seems some important issues in IHL have not been discussed. Thanks.

By Scholastica M

Dec 16, 2020

very insightful course on IHL for beginners and those working with non state actors in conflict contexts . Kudos

By Joanna H

Great introductory course. Highly recommended for those without earlier experience but interested in IH

By Sonia K

Apr 7, 2020

Very good course for the basic concepts of IHL. I enjoyed the lectures and podcasts with experts.

By BADAGA E

Mar 19, 2020

I appreciate the way this MOOC is designed to quench thirst of readers who are committed to learn

By Malou v B

May 1, 2019

I helpful, easy way to learn more about IHL. Great level and doable hours. Thank you!