Back to Internet History, Technology, and Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Internet History, Technology, and Security by University of Michigan

The impact of technology and networks on our lives, culture, and society continues to increase. The very fact that you can take this course from anywhere in the world requires a technological infrastructure that was designed, engineered, and built over the past sixty years. To function in an information-centric world, we need to understand the workings of network technology. This course will open up the Internet and show you how it was created, who created it and how it works. Along the way we will meet many of the innovators who developed the Internet and Web technologies that we use today. What You Will Learn: After this course you will not take the Internet and Web for granted. You will be better informed about important technological issues currently facing society. You will realize that the Internet and Web are spaces for innovation and you will get a better understanding of how you might fit into that innovation. If you get excited about the material in this course, it is a great lead-in to taking a course in Web design, Web development, programming, or even network administration. At a minimum, you will be a much wiser network citizen....

TR
Aug 11, 2020

This course was awesome. A combination of the history, sociology and practical architectural / implementation elements of modern digital and internet technology. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks Chuck!

SB
Jan 6, 2016

This is an extremely important course. I would love to see it taught in high schools or in the first year of university. We should all understand how the Internet was developed and how it functions.

126 - 150 of 625 Reviews for Internet History, Technology, and Security

By gilbert r

Mar 8, 2021

The course is a very good startup course for those interested in the ins and outs of the Internet. The instructor (Dr. Chuck) is very good in teaching the course and very knowledgeable.

By Shahnewaz K S

Nov 12, 2016

Very interesting course. The instructor is really helpful and knowledgeable person. Someone interested in internet should take this course. It's awesome and fun to learn.

Best of luck!!!

By John H

Jan 2, 2020

The course is not just taught with enthusiasm, but many of the key events are described by people who were directly involved. The course should have something new for almost anyone.

By David M

Aug 8, 2015

Dr. Chuck ties together a lot of info into a simple-to-follow package creating a great overview of the internet and provides plenty of references for follow up investigation. Thanks.

By Harris H

Aug 18, 2015

Covers an broad, yet manageable scope of computer, network and Internet history followed by an short, understandable taste of the complex scope of cyber security and cryptography.

By Herman B

Mar 16, 2018

Dr Chuck is awesome as always, I really learned a lot about the internet's history. Dr Chuck's passion for life and teaching really comes across in his lessons. -- Thank you sir.

By Henk V

Mar 20, 2016

Great course. It gives a good understanding of how the internet works and where it comes from. I really enjoy the interviews with people that lay the foundations of the internet.

By anjana k

Oct 30, 2015

Dr chuck is the best at explaining things. The course is really interesting and the base for many new technologies. I would like to attend any course offered by Dr Chuck. Thanks.

By Uma N

Jul 20, 2020

Thank you for making me a part of such an awesome course. My special thanks to Dr. Chuck who made his lectures very interesting and fun. Would love to do more courses under him.

By Ismaël B

Jan 4, 2021

The greatest course out there. We get to see and learn everything about a technology we use every day. And if you're studying information technology, it's just the best course.

By Leonardo D C D A

Nov 3, 2015

It was great to learn the history of different technologies with which I work daily. Understand the context in which they were created, helps develop the reasoning to use them.

By Vinayak B

This course taught me about the creation of the internet, the history behind its creation & and tells me the information related to the security of data using the internet.

By T K

Jun 10, 2020

Just like a naive boy on a time machine,

witnessed all the greates dedicate their life to make our world greater .

It is worthy for the time invested .

Thank you Dr. Chuck .

By P W

Oct 7, 2015

I thought this was a good foundation course, providing a great introduction to how the internet came into being, how it actually works and the basic security processes.

By Alexander K

Oct 12, 2015

Very good! There is a lot of history that isn't readily available from other sources, and the combined, overall view is what it makes this course additionaly valuable.

By Allen T

Aug 24, 2015

Very enjoyable course. If you have any interests in computers and how stuff like the internet works behind the scenes, I would invite you to take this course. DO IT!!!

By Sachin N

Aug 16, 2015

A real experience of how it would have been if we were in his position over the years! Such a classy way to execute and impart his knowledge to us! Thanks a lot sir!

By Courtney S

Dec 22, 2020

Can't get enough of Dr. Chuck's classes. They're the most engaging MOOCs I've done. I finished his Python specialization too and he's always a blast to learn with.

By Gabriel G

Sep 8, 2020

Dr. Severance is an amazing professor and clearly passionate about the Internet. I love that he has his own videos interviewing some of the legends of the Internet.

By Paul H

Feb 9, 2016

I really enjoyed the information shared in this course. Great history and understanding of how we are where we are today, and the hidden brains behind the journey

By Prince

Jul 17, 2020

I have learnt a lot about internet and it's history and security of internet and many more thing and dr chuck is very good professor i have ever met in my life.

By Pat M

Jan 8, 2018

Excellent course. This pulled the pieces of the internet and TCP/IP together into a coherent story. Chuck does an excellent job of pulling the pieces together.

By Pawel E

Oct 8, 2015

Final exam was a little bit too much, but maybe it would have been easier, if I hadn't binge-learned the material. Anyway, thanks Dr. Chuck. Always a pleasure.

By Daniel J L

Jan 24, 2016

Excellent history of the web. The videos with such key players in the development of the internet are priceless direct sources for future generations.

By Donald J

Dec 27, 2015

Really an interesting class. I gained some really useful knowledge about how the internet works and I am anything but a computer person. Great class!