Back to Introduction to English Common Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to English Common Law by University of London

The common law of England and Wales is one of the major global legal traditions. This MOOC will give you an introduction to this influential legal system including its history, constitutional background, sources and institutions. You’ll learn about the different ways in which laws are made and interpreted, the English court system and the increasing importance of European Union and human rights law. Now is an especially exciting time to be learning about English common law, given the potential changes that lie ahead in today’s political, economic and social environment – all these pose challenges to and opportunities for the law. Each week we’ll focus on one aspect of English common law, using video lectures, readings, discussion questions and activities to enable you to learn about and evaluate key issues. Whether undertaken as a standalone course, or as preparation for the University of London’s world-class LLB degree, you will find this course interesting and stimulating. Please note that participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes....

FA

A comprehensive introduction to English Law. The lecturers outline things in a very clear manner and the readings cover the topic well. The quizzes are quite demanding. It is a very enjoyable course.

HJ
Jun 3, 2019

26 - 50 of 376 Reviews for Introduction to English Common Law

By 趙祐瑄

Aug 8, 2020

The course helps me a lot to understand the system of English common law. The classes each week are separated into several modules and tasks, which make it easier to consist in compared to a long video clip for hours. I am really glad that Coursera offers courses with such amazing quality. The lessons from the University of London are inspiring. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in the judicial system take the course. Last but not least, I will keep studying on Coursera and I truly hope that a platform that shares knowledge with the general public should be well maintained!

By Emily L

Jul 12, 2020

Without any prior experience of law, this was a great introductory course. It covered a lot of key principles within law that were easy to understand and is great if you’d like a broad overview of English Common Law. The course provides debates around modern legal issues and the final assignment encouraged you to be creative, so I found it quite fun. Although some weeks were more content-heavy than others, this was overall an enjoyable course and I would recommend it to anyone thinking about studying English Common Law or who would like to gain a better insight into it.

By merdan a

Aug 16, 2020

The course is well-structured and composed. I was able to gain valuable foundation of the English common law, since my legal background is in civil law jurisdiction. Material is more designed to self-study and delivered clearly and simple. At the beginning was reluctant and thought wasting of time on the tasks like sharing thoughts or discussing some issues, however later I realized it is the most influential part of the task that helps you to develop you critical thinking. I truly appreciate the dedication and hard work of the course creators!!

By Bernard F B

Jan 7, 2021

This has been my first Coursera course. It has also been a superlative course. The instructors did a great job of presenting the material, they provided the student with an abundance of material for their course, and they provided a great number of links which will assist me in a self-tuition of the subject of British Common Law. I hope therefore to apply to the University of London External Programme, for the purpose of obtaining an LLB in law. I would like to thank the instructors for making this excellent course available.

By Morgan W

Aug 20, 2020

Having no knowledge of anything law related before starting this course, it has now confirmed to me that Law is the career I want to pursue- the range of activities per topic ensures that you understand every aspect, and anything you are unsure about can be discussed in the forum with professionals and also the other students completing the course at the same time as you.

I would recommend to anyone at any level of Law- a very interesting and fulfilling course- 10/10!!!

By Adam L

Dec 24, 2018

A thoroughly enjoyable course with a range of interesting and engaging activities including videos and texts. The discussion forums that occurred throughout were also stimulating and allowed myself and others to express opinions and ideas as well as see from the perspective of others. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in law and wanting to gain a fundamental understanding of the English Legal System and its key principles.

By Kat

Sep 10, 2020

What I appreciated the most about the course was the frequent check ins/ polls and end of lecture mini tasks that cemented your learning got you thinking independently and formulating arguments about the information. It makes you actually engage with the content and I believe was the reason for my completion/good grade. It was my first foray into a law based course and since then have been accepted onto a college criminal law specialisation.

By Eren G I

Jul 27, 2020

This course gives a fantastic introduction to English Common Law. As a newbie myself who is yet to graduate the IB, this course has nicely set me up to follow a passion related to law in the UK. Looking into modern real-life cases, historical examples, and the overall development of English Common Law since the ratification of the Magna Carta in the 13th century has only given me the urge to look into English Common Law more.

By Catherine W D

Aug 17, 2021

A very good introductory course. In places the system is a little "cluncky" eg a scroll bar along side the middle section where the videos and transcript appear would be useful. Also the marking in the peer group analysis should be more flexible not just 0 or 5 for some sections. However, videos well articulated and information easy to digest and not over burdensome. A good course.

By Dharshana A

Feb 11, 2021

It's a really good course and I have learned more about the English Legal System. My knowledge on UK law has widen and I can't wait to learn more from University of London. The lecturers are really calm and the way the explain was really good and understandable. I really had fun learning this course and thank you for giving me this opportunity.

By arijit s

Nov 4, 2019

Indeed a unique experience. I thank the concerned team of Coursera to have allowed my financial aid application which enabled me to get an insight into the English legal system. As I aspire to become a solicitor at some point of my life, this course has helped me to identify some of those areas where I should lay more emphasis.

Thanks

By Syedul m

Jul 10, 2019

This course is very interesting for all of us. So, I am a Rohingya student. This Coursera program is very helpful for all of them, who have lost right, also I have lost our right from Myanmar. So there are not allowing to discriminition with anyone. I am proud to be Coursera see.

Thanks

Syedul Mostafa

From

Rohingya Communities.

By N C

May 5, 2020

A very comprehensive review of English Common Law. The basics, such as common law concepts themselves, were covered in sufficient detail. More complicated topics such as the legal system in the UK were also covered in detail and surprisingly, made easy to understand.

This is a very well-made course and deserves all 5 stars!

By Dylan T

Jan 21, 2021

The course is very complete, in the sense that it teaches what is due (sources of law, judicial organization, etc). If you read all the recommended material and study the videos very well, it is sure to be a solid base for those who are just starting out. He emphasized clarity. Maybe last week I would divide it in two.

By Paul

Jul 3, 2021

T​his is a nice introduction to English Common Law. Well presented with excellent instructors who made the topic interesting and enjoyable. I am interested to pursue further law training based on completing this course presented by the knowedgeable lecturers who have made the course topic engaging and interesting.

By Tom C

Nov 25, 2020

This is a really interesting and well structured course that is easy to manage in bitesize parts. The organisers present the course content very clearly and concisely, and there is plenty of variety of media and external content (videos, TEDx etc.) to keep it interesting and engaging. Thanks UoL!

By Samved I

May 9, 2020

"Introduction to English Common Law" was the first ever course undertaken by me on this platform. I am pleased to say that the course has been vastly enriching and has imparted skills such as analysis and knowledge application. Very grateful to the course designers for having designed this course.

By Dr. J S

Jun 2, 2020

Content is well up to date. Most of the Information is presented in lucid manner. A capsule course on English Legal System, which is extremely benefiting.

My most sincere thanks to Ms. Charlotte Crilly and Dr. Eloise Ellis from the University of London and Coursera team for their initiative.

By Alex R F

Dec 19, 2018

Very good, qualified, teachers and excellent content for an introduction to English Common Law. Tests and proposed activities are helpful tools for our correct understanding of the subjects. I would recommend the course to any person interested in this important area of the legal profession.

By Aks K

Oct 24, 2020

Brilliant course! This course gave me the confidence to apply for an undergraduate degree in Law, to the University of London itself. This course is ideal for people with varied experience, including if you have no knowledge of English legal system whatsoever. Thanks, University of London!

By Chiara B

Nov 30, 2019

I've found this course very well-designed and stimulating. Teachers are amazing and their approach encouraged me to complete the MOOC on time. It gave me an introductory knowledge and understanding of English Common Law, which helped me explore a new career in Legal Translation. Thanks!

By Chun Y C

May 4, 2020

Highly recommended for anyone seeking a degree in Law in the foreseeable future! This course is a well designed one. It provides us a good comprehensive guide on the legal practice in England. I'm grateful to the designers of the course and 2 lecturers for presenting us this.

By Steven L

Jul 26, 2020

I found this course to be extremely helpful and also interesting. It covers a wide range of English Common Law at a basic introductory level. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is new to UK Law and looking to start their career within the UK legal system.

By Nathan D

Fantastic introduction to English Common Law. Final module probably required stronger link and explanation to ECL rather than focusing on the supranational nature of EU itself. Was, however, more interesting as module linked to European law, Human Rights and the ECL.

By OLIVIA S

Aug 15, 2021

A​n excellent introduction to the English Common Law. Both the instructors are very thorough and yet, very accessible. This course has given me a solid understanding of the English law and will, no doubt, benefit me when I start law school this September. Thank you!