Back to Introduction to Cyber Attacks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Cyber Attacks by New York University

This course provides learners with a baseline understanding of common cyber security threats, vulnerabilities, and risks. An overview of how basic cyber attacks are constructed and applied to real systems is also included. Examples include simple Unix kernel hacks, Internet worms, and Trojan horses in software utilities. Network attacks such as distributed denial of service (DDOS) and botnet- attacks are also described and illustrated using real examples from the past couple of decades. Familiar analytic models are outlined such as the confidentiality/integrity/availability (CIA) security threat framework, and examples are used to illustrate how these different types of threats can degrade real assets. The course also includes an introduction to basic cyber security risk analysis, with an overview of how threat-asset matrices can be used to prioritize risk decisions. Threats, vulnerabilities, and attacks are examined and mapped in the context of system security engineering methodologies....

HI

Mar 04, 2020

I'm so glad I could complete this course as I look forward to continuing other courses on Cyber attacks. Its been helpful as it gave me the background knowledge as to what is needed in Cyber Security.

SM

Dr.Amoroso\n\nwas really awesome I previously took a cybersecurity class in my college but never really learned much about the cyber attacks. It is a great class to start your cyber security journey.

226 - 250 of 312 Reviews for Introduction to Cyber Attacks

By Tamma D V S K

Apr 22, 2020

Good

By DONGMO T A

Sep 21, 2019

cool

By ILAKKIYA V

Apr 10, 2019

COOL

By G S R

Feb 25, 2019

good

By Atichat P

Nov 08, 2018

Good

By midathana s

Nov 05, 2018

good

By EL-HAKOUNI M

Jan 23, 2018

good

By Abhinava S

Sep 24, 2018

G

By Marco G

Apr 24, 2020

I enjoyed this course and found it very well-structured: I do not have any academic background in IT but had no difficulty understanding the videos as they go straight to the point and use clear examples. On the other hand, I have to say that I found the readings more difficult as I was not familiar with many terms and concepts. Maybe adding a short dictionary or a note where the main concepts are explained before each article could help. Also, I was hoping to receive some feedback about the answers to the final test which would help me with the understanding of how to assess risk. Apart from these two points, the course is fantastic. I was very glad to see that the lessons and the final test are projected towards practical applications in real-life scenarios. I recommend this course and I am looking forward to attending the next one being part of the “Introduction to Cybersecurity” specialization.

By Simon K

May 22, 2020

I liked the way that this course started by looking at the foundations of cyber security and with a business sense on how to start out as security consultant. Ed's videos are very engaging and keep the subject a live with story telling. The course is let down by the quizes. The language used can be confusing and pedantic in the quizes. It makes sense to encourage the student to apply the knowledge in a different way that was learnt during the module. Also the lack of feedback and no interaction on the forums by any of the faculty is not acceptable. Please do the course through, it is worth it. In this case it is not how you learn but what you learn.

By Liam C

Nov 13, 2019

Honestly everything was amazing and better than face to face courses I've taken my only reason to remove a star is I was constantly being frustrated that even when I passed a quiz it wouldn't let me see the answers to questions I may have missed, I felt like that was detrimental to my learning experience as I was never able to attain the correct answer to certain quiz questions that I may not have fully understood, the other thing is the final quiz says there are no wrong answers just justifiable yet I was told my answers were wrong over and over again

By Noah Y

Mar 08, 2018

Prior from taking this course I was learning Python and pen-testing skills using Kali Linux. I am an aspiring cyber security expert who wanted to enhance my perspective on the realm of cyber security. Taking this course not only helped me set a real foundation to the realities of cyber attacks but also helped me gain an understanding of this career field from a business perspective. Great introduction class and I will most likely take the followup course.

By Ramji V

Jul 21, 2019

One thing I found was the reading materials the papers were quite old. It will be good to have an older paper supplemented by a newer one. This will help us keep us abreast of the latest happenings. Or the course should be title to read that it talks about cyber attacks from historic perpective. Also the quizzes most of the time emphasized on the intricacies of English at times - difference between maybe and always. So difficult to get things right.

By Derek E

Jul 24, 2019

Overall, a nice course with solid content from diverse sources. The Prof is very engaging. Agree with the other reviews that noted a lack of quality control. Someone from NYU should check forums and fix issues. Final quiz instructions do not match the marking. (Plus the answers are not justified.) Some of the links to resources are broken. Module quizzes are oddly worded at times. Still, worthwhile taking and learned a fair amount.

By Horacio M

Sep 11, 2018

A really good introductory course.

It covers both the basic "tech" aspects of cybersecurity (worms, trojans, botnets, etc.) and frameworks (CIA models) to map threats-assets then risks.

It sets a fundamental stress on the approach to cybersecurity. Not only on the most advertised aspects, but on the way the industry -CISOs- work -or should work :-)

The instructor does know a ton, and transmits his knowledge quite easily.

By Nicholas A

Jun 03, 2018

Great course, It would obviously be much better if it was more exhaustive. Perhaps if there was actual coding that illustrated a patch to basic and outdated bug or security flaw. I enjoyed the paper on the ethics. I plan to use those counter arguments in the future, if I retook this course I would like to see more thoughtful papers like that.

By Irene M B

Apr 16, 2020

Professor is engaging, and subject matter is taught in an interesting manner. Generally a good course. One issue is that there are links to required assignments that no longer work. I submitted a note to address this, and observed that other students have already done so several months before I had. This problem should be attended to.

By Heinz D

Jul 21, 2019

Good intro to the subject. Comprehension questions are built-in and each module ends with a quiz giving instant feedback concerning comprehension. Nevertheless, some of the quiz questions seem to belong to a later module and some of the 'correct' answers are not correct. At the end of the day this course was a good experience for me.

By Brian H

I am loving this course. however some of the links to further reading do not work for me. i am having to watch ten you tube clips just to make sure i am getting the subject covered . also the reading of books is taking me a lot longer than the time predicted ( a lot longer) but i still am enjoying the course. Thoroughly Absorbing.

By Mark M

Jan 10, 2018

Excellent start to Cyber Security Methodology. My only criticism is for lack of hands-on practice exercises for conceptual mastery in understanding risk. The course seemed executive level, which is fine...I'm weak in this area. This being said, perhaps it will be explained deeper and more hands-on in the next course.

By George N

Jan 19, 2020

The Course content wre amazing; I get a lot from my Instructor Edd; But Unfortunately could not take my Certificate; I think you should work on your ID Verification Tool, i have Upload a Valid ID and yet you couldn't verify, Your ID verification system is not Competent enough to do the task

By RUBEN P B

Dec 20, 2017

I am very happy with this course. The content and approach is very much what I expected. Ed Amoroso is an excellent communicator.

However, questions were raised in the forum during the course and they were not answered. I would have appreciated more attention from the teaching team.

Jan 14, 2018

I really like the content however the Quizzes in the latter part of the course were very tricky. It was difficult to select the right answer and I had to retake the quizzes and it felt like the DMV tests where it had a little bit of a subjective nature.

By Lukas M

Apr 10, 2020

I enjoyed every moment of it and the readings were great. The final test could use some love, as it says that there are no false or right answers (but just "Justifiable" ones) but it does compare the answers to a set of right answers.

By priyam p

Aug 04, 2018

the course is just an introduction to cyber security ..for those who have no prior knowledge about cyber attacks.It mainly highlights some classical crypt methods and more about the risk of attacks and vulnerabilities.