Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed....

MH

Jul 23, 2019

Very Good course. Helpful to learn the basic fundamentals of GIS and to learn to digitize a map for the first time. I recommend it to any beginner who is trying to start working with GIS.

PR

Jan 16, 2020

Great course. Don Boyes is very clear when explaining. I think you get to understand a lot of the concepts behind the software that are not easy to get when browsing through ArcGIS.

1 - 25 of 52 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Nicholas W

May 28, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, the explanations of concepts were clear and straight forward which makes learning a technical subject like this one a lot easier, I look forward to completing the next course in the specialization.

By jessica R

Jul 15, 2019

I already have some experience with ArcMap, but I want to complete the 4 course series. I was happily surprised that Course 1 contained so much good information that I was not yet super knowledgeable in, particluarly the parts about coordinate and projection systems. That's always confused me, but this course helped me solidify my understanding of how all that works. Even though I already know how to make a map etc. I definitely did NOT see this course as a waste of my time. Great course!

By Shams R

Sep 05, 2019

I was very excited to see this course is offered and I was also very excited it is offered by UoT, but it was a huge disappointment on many levels. 1. The name of the course is misleading it is "introduction to GIS mapping" but without "GIS". in the entire course only 1 or 2 videos show how to use GIS that is it (planting couple of trees on a Queens Park map.) 2. This is more about theory than practice. The instructor has very good hand of the theory which makes sense because his background is geography. 3. The course tells a lot about 'what' to do but never shows 'how' to do it in GIS. 4. If you are looking to learn simple applications such as change the color of 1 states on a US map to show where you are from, (basic skill) wont be able to do it! videos are good exmples are good explanations are good but no application aspect. 4. You ask for data used in lectures wont get it. I guess i will fully use the trail period before paying in future for any course!

By Jasminka K

May 22, 2019

Very nice explanations, especially about different coordinate system and projections.

By David R

Jul 21, 2019

This is by far one of the best laid out and presented courses I have every taken. Don is a master of using graphics and examples to provide a clear understanding of the principles in this often information-dense course. I am enjoying the program immensely and very much appreciate the skill of its instructor! I absolutely would recommend this course to anyone diving into the world of GIS.

By RASHEED A

Aug 20, 2019

I was looking for a course that would give me a solid entry and introduction to the world of GIS, and I found it in this course. I consider my time doing it as well invested

By Ranjeet S

Jun 02, 2019

Really liked the way concepts are given. Enjoyed the entire journey of Introduction to GIS Mapping! Thank you very much :)

By Gabriel V

Jun 09, 2019

Amazing course.

They are the best strongly recommended.

Thanks for your contribution to my career.

By Ali W H

Jun 10, 2019

very simplified it is the perfect place to start your GIS journey.

By Lara J

Jun 14, 2019

Great class! Good design and wonderful videos!

By reneryu

Jun 13, 2019

Very detailed and beginner friendly!

By Francis S

Aug 03, 2019

Great background on what goes into making maps and how to interpret map projections. I learned more from this course than from a very expensive GIS course I took years ago. It gives you time to install and play around with ArcGIS, and it comes with a 1 year student license for the software. Information is well presented, and care clearly went into this course! I'm happy to have done it and I will continue on with the specialization. Thanks Prof. Boyes!

By Alexandre G

Oct 11, 2019

This is an excellent course and I am learning a lot. Professor Boyes explains the material very clearly and responds to the students queries. GIS is a new domain for me and I enjoy learning it.

P.S. I previously left a critical review of this course by mistake, it was supposed to be for another course, I am sorry for that and am editing my first review. I am very satisfied with this course. Looking forward to other courses in this specialization

By Nicolas S

Nov 10, 2019

I wanted to grade 4 but the course of Prof Boyes is such of a good quality I did not dare to do it.

I am lacking of superlatives for the quality of the course but I faced two issues :

1/difficult to do the exercises with ArcGis Pro when all is explained with ArcMap. Eventually I downloaded Arcmap (with some licence issues at the beginning..).

2/I had to wait some days to be able to review other's work. Noone had submitted anything.

By Jessica E L D

Sep 07, 2019

The course is excellent. I loved the material, the examples, explanation, and application are very clear. The professor Dr. Boyes is very good too. I am excited to continue to the next course and complete all of the specialization. Recommend this course to anyone who wants to start learning about GIS.

By Md. A H

Jul 23, 2019

By Manuel J

Oct 29, 2019

This course thoroughly introduces concepts that are a must to know when using any GIS software to create maps. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about mapping.

By Rafaela d P B R

Sep 15, 2019

I loved this course so much because I learned a lot with it. Thank you Coursera, University of Toronto and Don Boyes to disseminated high quality education around the world.

By Dana M

Nov 29, 2019

A great introduction to the field of GIS. Instructor's lectures are easy to follow and I really like his laid back (with a nice touch of humor here and there) approach.

By Nadia B

Aug 27, 2019

I enjoyed my time doing this course, the course instructor explains very clearly in the simplest terms and I would recommend it to anyone new to the world of GIS.

By Cris S

Nov 03, 2019

Perfect course for someone that has no experience with ArcGIS at all. Very informative with basic ideas and good, relevant, hands-on experience shown.

By Francisco J G D

Dec 12, 2019

El curso es excelente para introducirse en el mundo GIS, es facil de entender y presenta un contenido que cualquiera puede entender. Recomendado

By Isau R A

Dec 17, 2019

I will never forget the instructor, he's such an incredible man in teaching GIS. I learnt many things from him including training ability.

By Wendell D

Oct 03, 2019

This is an excellent Introduction course for GIS Mapping. I highly recommend it to evryone that want to start learning about GIS Mapping.

By MARK A L J

Oct 30, 2019

For a newbie like me, they have laid out a simple and easy to comprehend modules, and with these, I am eager to learn more