Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed. (software is not provided)...

AF
Apr 16, 2020

Don Boyes is one of the best instructors I have seen. Throughout the course, I never felt boring. So all credit goes to Don Boyes for making this course very interesting with his good sense of humor.

KS
Aug 1, 2021

This course is all about the introduction of GIS. It gives an insight of the GIS system especially the projection systems. Don Boyes made this course very easy and so entertaining. Thank you so much.

426 - 450 of 486 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Tanvir A

Jun 14, 2020

By Kuimi N I E

May 24, 2021

GOOD

By SHLOK R

Jan 8, 2021

good

By MOHD N B A L

Nov 18, 2020

good

By Mohammad H

Nov 10, 2020

good

By Nikhil R

Nov 8, 2020

best

By Kinley P

Sep 21, 2020

good

By Mona A A

Aug 6, 2020

good

By Minimol K M

Jul 8, 2020

good

By Luis A S R

Jun 27, 2020

good

By Fabio E V

Jun 14, 2020

Nice

By JOSEPH R

good

By 152 N

Apr 24, 2020

good

By Marseld A

Feb 29, 2020

Oct 12, 2020

I

By Konstantinos L

Jun 8, 2021

I had taken GIS classes in my undergraduate studies, but I haven't had the theoritical background to interpret the procedures I was mechanically followed in order to finish my assignments. Now, with this course I can definitely understand the "WHY", behind every step I follow in order to complete my work.

Finally I have an overall view of projections (learning about geoid, ellipsoid) as well as matters concerning scale (ideal scale for digitization etc.) The tutor also is really understandable, methodic using humor in his lectures, exactly where he needs to make you "relax" before he goes on. I recommend it to those who want to learn the basic theoretical knowledge, before starting to get into the deep practical matters of GIS.

By Yean D

Jun 10, 2020

Great Course. I've done few courses on Coursera. But till now, Don Boyes is the most friendly instructor. He explains everything from the very beginning so that anyone from any discipline can easily catch his lesson. Still I think it would be more helpful if he could provide some specific instruction shapefile, and serve the course like a guided project. I knew nothing about ArcGIS, so when he was showing volcanic map/elevation map and using some tools on that map, I was frustrated where to get these files, how to make it look like the same as the video.

By Víctor M E R

May 28, 2021

Muy completo el curso, me divertí y aprendí muchos sobre GIS, pero lo que no me gusto fue que al no tener ArcGis pro es muy limitada la experiencia, además es muy complicado tener el programa, pues es costoso y obtenerlo de otra manera es complicado , yo utilice Arcgis online o Arcgis viewer y la experiencia es muy diferente pues el curso no tiene secciones que ensenen a manejar esta plataforma online, la cual es bastante diferente a ArcMap O Arcgis pro.

By Heleen B

Aug 25, 2020

This course has been very helpful for learning the basics on cartography and GIS. There's a lot of attention for some fundamental principles that need to be taken into consideration before starting with a map design (e.g. the consequences of the fact that the Earth is an ellipsoid, choosing a geographic coordinate system, methods of navigation, and so on). Many interesting examples of projects are provided, with a historical context alongisde!

By Megan M

Sep 20, 2020

Course material was wonderful but the peer reviews I received were very unhelpful. I do not necessarily see the point in having these types of roadblocks to completing the course if those grading your content are not going to give constructive criticism to your work. I received a number of low marks on my map but not a single note as to what was deficient. How can a student improve if low marks or reviews are not explained?