Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed. (software is not provided)...

AF
Apr 16, 2020

Don Boyes is one of the best instructors I have seen. Throughout the course, I never felt boring. So all credit goes to Don Boyes for making this course very interesting with his good sense of humor.

BA
Aug 3, 2020

This course is the basic introduction of GIS. It gives an insight of the GIS system especially the projection systems. Out of all these Professor Don Boyes made is so entertaining. Thank you Prof!!!

51 - 75 of 389 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Gabriela K

Oct 1, 2020

The instructor is very clear explaining the material. It is understandable but yet deep as its the concepts and principles for mapping was explained in this course. Also in giving GIS instruction and explanation its so practical but yet we understand the theory behind it and the reason behind it.

By Gabriel M

Apr 5, 2020

Both informative and applicable, I not only enjoyed this fascinating introductory course, but also appreciated Prof. Boyes's straightforward, clear and engaging style of presentation. This course is a must for anyone interested in learning how to work with GIS (or maps of any kind).

By Jennifer A

Oct 19, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. Mr. Boyes did an exceptional job explaining challenging topic in relation to map projections. I've used GIS on and off for several years but never grasped the concepts of projection before. The class content was super helpful for my future map making!

By CRISTIAN A U R

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course. The instructor is very dinamic and makes all the topics very simple and understandable. The program of the course is also well developed and relevant. It's a great opportunity to learn new things both for begginers and more experienced people. Totally recommended.

By Fares A D D

Sep 1, 2020

The course was really amazing. The contents were really useful. I have taken the Introduction to GIS Mapping course with Dr. Don Boyes as Instructor, I like his way of teaching and the knowledge he shared with us, he is amazing, I like to continue with him for the coming course.

By Sumit K

Jul 17, 2020

The course gives an excellent introduction to few of GIS fundamentals. The approach towards course delivery is very good and the user/participant always gets something from a perspective which is quite innovative and easy to grasp. Overall a wonderful learning experience.

By Luis A M C

Feb 14, 2020

This was an awesome course. It has provided me with the foundations of geographic information systems in a clear and accessible way thanks to Professor Don Boyce. Not only this, but now I have the motivation of learning more and deepen my knowledge of this field.

By Charessa S

Nov 10, 2020

First of all thank you to Coursera and University of Toronto to give us a chance to study online. Thank you to Prof. Don Boyes, for teaching us about the GIS Mapping. I learned so much from him and I will continue learn more about the GIS mapping.

By Fuad H

Apr 20, 2020

This is a great learning platform.I have learnt a lot of things from this course that I was not cleared before.Thanks to Professor Don Boyes for his great teaching effort.I will recommend everyone who are interested in GIS can take this course.

By Gemma E

Jun 17, 2020

A great introduction to the world of mapping and ArcGIS. Introduced several concepts that one would not otherwise think about and with such great delivery that you appreciate these concepts in making maps and understanding map projections.

By Helen W

This course gives a really solid grounding in the fundamentals of GIS, with definitions, great explanations and good exposure to industry software. Bonus: Don Boyes is a fantastic lecturer, so it's really easy to follow the information.

By Rifqi F

Sep 9, 2020

Fantastic! I have background in Urban Planning study, at first didn't sure "introduction" is necessary. After Completing the course, I'm really surprise that there are many great explanations in this course that anyone could implement.

By Natalie P

Sep 28, 2020

The course was very interesting and entertaining. The teacher is great and explains all the contents very clearly and in a very fun and didactic way. I enjoyed going thorugh the topics and I look forward for the rest of the courses!

By ISHTIYAK A

Apr 30, 2020

I love the way of instructor to teach about the course. I have learned lot of with this course like Scaling, Projection, Coordinate System etc. It is great course for beginners to know how GIS stands to explain our beautiful world.

By Aditya U K

Sep 5, 2020

Very nice course! Gives you a great background of some basic concepts in GIS; most importantly map projections which I needed very much. I am certainly looking to finish the remaining 3 courses in this series as well.

By Adam C A

Oct 4, 2020

I really like the way the instructor teaches me. I never get board or feel asleep as he presented. You'll get attentive as he can make you laugh. well anyway, thanks to you Sir Don Boyes of the University of Toronto

By Maruf M

Sep 12, 2020

Great Course!

Professor Dr. Don Boyes is highly professional and he knows how to teach a boring topic in an interesting way. I like this course very much. Finally Thanks to Professor Dr. Don Boyes for his great work.

By Shahriar I Z

Jun 1, 2020

Very good introductory course into mapping and ArcGIS. The basics of maps and projections are taught well by Don Boyes with his witty style of teaching. It should be taken as a primary step towards ArcMAP learning.

By Edward J O G

Jul 25, 2020

An excellent course, especially if you're interested in learning the basics of GIS, what it is and its relationship to the world. The videos and material are very complete and clear. Thanks for all the learning!

By Euijin J

Jun 20, 2020

I really like how the instructor views and explains key concepts of GIS. His conceptualization was very helpful as I learned so many fundamental things of GIS in a short time. I truly enjoyed taking this class!

By Dariia K

Apr 5, 2020

Great course for beginners in GIS and people who want to have systematic knowledge in GIS and appropriately understand GIS terminology. The very professional lecturer who gives interesting real-world examples

By Samantha F

Jun 23, 2020

Excellent course! I went into the course never using GIS software before and felt that this was a great introduction course. I really enjoyed learning the theory as well as the practical aspects of GIS.

By Benhur K A

Aug 4, 2020

By Ibrahim Z

Nov 1, 2020

One of the most important thing you need as a learner is intuition and prof Don is good at that , the concept I have leant have finally stick in my brain. I can always relate them to real world

By Amrit K

Jul 16, 2020

This course is basic introduction to key concepts used in GIS. I found the instructor to be great. Complex terms are explained in simple way. Overall this is a very good course for beginners.