Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed. (software is not provided)...

AF

Apr 16, 2020

Don Boyes is one of the best instructors I have seen. Throughout the course, I never felt boring. So all credit goes to Don Boyes for making this course very interesting with his good sense of humor.

KS

Aug 1, 2021

This course is all about the introduction of GIS. It gives an insight of the GIS system especially the projection systems. Don Boyes made this course very easy and so entertaining. Thank you so much.

76 - 100 of 560 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Gemma E

Jun 17, 2020

A great introduction to the world of mapping and ArcGIS. Introduced several concepts that one would not otherwise think about and with such great delivery that you appreciate these concepts in making maps and understanding map projections.

By Niku K

Mar 10, 2022

It was amazing how he can explain such a complicated context in a very easy understandable way! Highly recommended! I learnt not just about GIS, but I also look at each world map in another way! Very intersting and informative! Thank you!

By Helen W

This course gives a really solid grounding in the fundamentals of GIS, with definitions, great explanations and good exposure to industry software. Bonus: Don Boyes is a fantastic lecturer, so it's really easy to follow the information.

By Rifqi F

Sep 9, 2020

Fantastic! I have background in Urban Planning study, at first didn't sure "introduction" is necessary. After Completing the course, I'm really surprise that there are many great explanations in this course that anyone could implement.

By Rutherford K B

Jan 2, 2021

Prof Boye is really on top of what he does. Hardly does one make an online class,so lively like it is in person. His extra detail informations about the nuances makes me appreciate the GIS subject better. He did a great job on this.

By Natalie P

Sep 28, 2020

The course was very interesting and entertaining. The teacher is great and explains all the contents very clearly and in a very fun and didactic way. I enjoyed going thorugh the topics and I look forward for the rest of the courses!

By ISHTIYAK A

Apr 30, 2020

I love the way of instructor to teach about the course. I have learned lot of with this course like Scaling, Projection, Coordinate System etc. It is great course for beginners to know how GIS stands to explain our beautiful world.

By Henrique O

Mar 21, 2021

This course is excellent.

Very well organized and covering very important topics.

The classes are perfect.

The classes are very well conceived.

The presentations are very good!

Congratulations to the instructor Professor Don Boyes.

By MUHAMMAD S

Jun 18, 2021

This course was structured by Prof. Don Boyes with very detailed modules . I have learnt basic of digitization of map and using GIS interface. Very helpful and informative course and I would suggest for beginner level student.

By Aditya K

Sep 6, 2020

Very nice course! Gives you a great background of some basic concepts in GIS; most importantly map projections which I needed very much. I am certainly looking to finish the remaining 3 courses in this series as well.

By Adam C A

Oct 4, 2020

I really like the way the instructor teaches me. I never get board or feel asleep as he presented. You'll get attentive as he can make you laugh. well anyway, thanks to you Sir Don Boyes of the University of Toronto

By Maruf M

Sep 12, 2020

Great Course!

Professor Dr. Don Boyes is highly professional and he knows how to teach a boring topic in an interesting way. I like this course very much. Finally Thanks to Professor Dr. Don Boyes for his great work.

By Shahriar I Z

Jun 1, 2020

Very good introductory course into mapping and ArcGIS. The basics of maps and projections are taught well by Don Boyes with his witty style of teaching. It should be taken as a primary step towards ArcMAP learning.

By Edward J O G

Jul 25, 2020

An excellent course, especially if you're interested in learning the basics of GIS, what it is and its relationship to the world. The videos and material are very complete and clear. Thanks for all the learning!

By Euijin J

Jun 20, 2020

I really like how the instructor views and explains key concepts of GIS. His conceptualization was very helpful as I learned so many fundamental things of GIS in a short time. I truly enjoyed taking this class!

By Дарія І Х

Apr 5, 2020

Great course for beginners in GIS and people who want to have systematic knowledge in GIS and appropriately understand GIS terminology. The very professional lecturer who gives interesting real-world examples

By Rafiuddin N

Mar 19, 2021

I took a GIS class at School as well and I believe this class was well developed and great for me to review the concept I covered in my class. Actually, some concepts become very clear Thank you Don and team

By Samantha F

Jun 23, 2020

Excellent course! I went into the course never using GIS software before and felt that this was a great introduction course. I really enjoyed learning the theory as well as the practical aspects of GIS.

By Alexandra S

May 6, 2021

Excellent course! Strongly recommended, although I started the course after the deadline, so I couldn't obtain the certificate (there weren't projects to review, and nobody available to review mine).

By Amrit K

Jul 17, 2020

This course is basic introduction to key concepts used in GIS. I found the instructor to be great. Complex terms are explained in simple way. Overall this is a very good course for beginners.

By Ada A A

I loved the course! Personally, I like to know the background of things and how they work. The course is not just a step by step ArcGIS course, it is an opportunity to understand further GIS.

By MUHAMMAD F M

Sep 16, 2021

The most recommended course on GIS! The material is very easy to understand, but it becomes the basic foundation for further learning GIS. Happy learning and discover the fun for yourself!

By Fanie T T

Jul 24, 2020

Absolutely great course and very exciting. The course is more practical and the lecture is really good in explaining complex concepts. It is really a well structured introduction ti GIS.

By Thejus A

May 20, 2021

The passion & enthusiasm in which you handle the sessions and the logical reasoning that you provide is outstanding. Really appreciate your efforts and looking forward to more lectures.

By BOBIN A S

Sep 19, 2020

I am very grateful for this course, really got extraordinary knowledge from a great instructor and can explain very well (intonation, gesture, flow). Everything looks very professional.