Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

AA
Jan 25, 2021

I found this course very interesting and interactive. I especially enjoyed the week of extra videos where we went into detailed psychological concepts like dreaming. Thank you for an amazing 12 weeks!

HW
Feb 16, 2017

I loved every minute of this course! Professor Joordens was very engaging and it was set at just the right pace. I'm looking forward to my next course already! The discussion forums are very helpful.

51 - 75 of 1,348 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Harrinei K

This is one great course. I would recommend it 100%. You needn't necessarily take this course for a professional benefit, the syllabus is coherent and thorough, easy, and interesting. You never feel the burden of learning at any point. Professor Steve is amazing and so cool. He is extremely knowledgeable and at the same time, funny. Follow up properly on the topics and do every extra reading the professor suggests,...you would not regret taking this one.

By Yuliia A

Mar 12, 2018

Really great course to start the journey into the world of psychology. Professor provides clear information in an interesting and engaging form. Plus, in contrast to some other courses with 4 or 5 weeks of few lectures, here you get 8 weeks with 7-9 lectures in each. I really enjoyed it! And will definitely wait for the next one, in order to go along with the course and purchase a certificate (I found out about this course too late to finish it in time).

By Hermes J D R P

May 23, 2020

An amazing and enjoyable course by Prof. Joordens. In my opinion, his ability to tell incredible stories while teaching new concepts was the best feature of the course. I also liked his authentic personality and his unbiased way of talking about any psychological and social concept. In summary, the course covers a wide range of psychological ideas and they're well complemented by the extra material given at the end of each lecture. Utterly recommended!

By Farhad H

Sep 22, 2020

Thank you for the great experience. The course provides an excellent survey of the psychology discipline. I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures, quizzes, and written assignment. The written assignment made the course "real". I had to understand the concept and apply it to the world around me. It provided a good taste of university course.

By Gisela B

Nov 15, 2020

Steve Joordens is one of the best teachers I have ever had the pleasure to learn of. If you want to explore psychology in general, this is your course, this man is amazing! I have bought another course of him in another platform to continue.

By Lutfun N

Nov 19, 2020

This is the best MOOC I've done till now.

By CHANTE C C

Dec 13, 2020

I am having a hard time accomplishing the task, to the extent I was flagged that I plagiarized my work.

By Brittney N

Jan 7, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. The professor, Steve Joordens, videos are so well done that I often forgot that he couldn't see me and that I was only watching a video. He speaks to the audience, not the camera, and it makes all the difference with keeping viewers engaged. He is a very personable fella and delightfully human. Topics were very well thought out and the delivery was clear and easy to understand. Most importantly, the topics were relatable (Steve would give examples of famous people with the discussed topic and their stories or fun little "did you knows?" kinda things) and therefore easier to remember. I also really appreciated all of the extended reading and video links provided at the end of each lecture. A really fascinating course and a perfect introduction to psychology!

By Kayra J

Sep 1, 2020

La forma didáctica y la manera evolutiva que fue dado el curso hizo sencillo el comprender el origen de la psicología. Como el factor emocional, las relaciones afectivas, el entorno pueden influir en el bienestar mental de una persona a tal punto de hacer que sea psicológicamente inestable. Las enfermedades mentales y desordenes del comportamiento son enfermedades silenciosas que si no son detectadas a tiempo pueden llegar a ser un peligro, no sólo para el individuo sino para todos aquel que están a su alrededor. Gracias a la psicología se puede ayudar a que estas personas pueden llevar una vida más estable.

By Jacqueline J

Jan 13, 2021

Es un curso introductorio que da una amplia mirada a tópicos que debiéramos aprender para mejorar nuestro entendimiento humano en todo orden, a nivel personal, espiritual y social. Lo que más agradezco del curso es la capacidad del profesor en entusiasmar y mostrar alternativas, con una empatía hacia nosotros los alumnos que lo hace ser muy cercano. Seguir el curso es fácil, recomiendo estudiar y revisar bien los links, algunos no tienen los enlaces, pero hoy la información está al alcance de la mano y es cuestión de profundizar por nuestra cuenta. Gracias !!

By Arnab K K

Sep 6, 2020

Prof. Steve is one of the best instructors I have ever come across. He takes an enormous amount of effort to help us understand the topics. He really wants us to learn as best as we can. It was a sheer privilege to have been under his tutelage during this online course. Thank you very much, professor. The course content is also adequate. I learned a lot of things I'd never have got to know on my own. One topic of my personal interest which was not covered was 'psychology and the workplace'. Anyway, I'm very happy I enrolled and completed this course!

By Sandra S

Nov 28, 2020

I absolutely loved this course .It was so very interesting even understanding different parts of the brain and what they do.Human behaviour ,mental illness ,history of psychology and so much more .Steve Jordon is an amazing teacher .He made this course so very interesting that you really looked forward to doing it.This course is extremely good and I highly recommend it.Im 62 with no former education at all .I am trying to keep my brain active in my senior years and am so happy I chose this course thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt so much .

By RABİA S Ş

Mar 7, 2021

As a pharmacy student, my interest in psychology was always high. School Ankara University. My elective courses at my university were also focused on psychology. I always wanted to learn more, even if I wanted to study the psychology department as a second university. I feel very lucky to take this course. I would very much like to listen to his lectures. You thought the online education was mostly inefficient, I can't imagine how it would be to be his student if Prof Jooderns provides such excellent education even from afar.

By Shweta M

Sep 24, 2020

Excellent Course. Prof Joordens has an amazingly engaging personality and he keeps the lectures fun and personal. I have never met him and at the end when he was saying good-byes I felt as if I am really saying good bye to someone I know in real life.

The course content is extremely well structured, extensive amount of external extra information/ readings is provided and and he provides a lot of examples to explain the psychology concepts.

Overall FANTASTIC COURSE.

Cant wait for more courses from this team

By Nazeediya Z

Nov 23, 2020

One of the best courses for a starter, comprehensive and interesting which in turn motivates one to learn Psychology in depth. Professor Steve Joordens is an excellent teacher, professional, concise. Professor presented the course so well that captured the focus of the students and made it very interesting with detailed explanation and provided various links to understand the subject further. I would take this opportunity to thank Professor Steve Joorden and Coursera Team for the excellent work.

By Pratibha V

Oct 7, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Prof. Steve Joordens' style of teaching is very captivating. He makes the process of learning, a kind of fun activity. He helps the learners to understand the concepts, with the examples, which are easy to relate to. He also helps the learners to expand their horizon through excellent reference links. Thank you Prof. Steve. And, thank you Team Coursera, for providing such a wonderful learning experience through a wonderful teacher!

By jose m s r

Jan 20, 2021

realmente me encanto, el nivel de exigencia es acorde al prestigio de la universidad.

me gustaría si que hubiesen más clases en español , seria bueno.

que sean de más tiempo en cuanto a semestres, por ejemplo de uno o dos años, pero es genial aprender y lo mejor de todo el coste que tiene es buenísimo ya que en países como e el que yo vivo(chile) acceder a algo así es imposible por lo caro y la educación muy mala.

por esa razón decidí inscribirme aquí.

By Patrick H

Jul 24, 2019

The course was very in depth and varied. Lots of topics were addressed, accompanied by plenty of material to view and/or read. I really liked the essay assignment of week 10, it really gave me the feeling I had to work hard and get out there and present my obtained knowledge. I didn't expect this from an online course, and to me this is a big plus! Also, great job by professor Joordens! Can you say "about" one more time with that Canadian accent? :-)

By Namrata W

Jun 30, 2020

Professor Steve Joordens has been one of the most influential professors I have met until now. This course cemented my love for psychology and I could also look at the basic concepts of psychology with a unique perspective as professor helped me understand it better with relatable and relevant examples and events. Overall, I would recommend this course to anyone even remotely interested in psychology as by the end of it, you will surely love it.

By Zhazira I

Mar 18, 2020

This a fascinating course! This course one of the best online courses I've ever taken. Prof. Joordens is amazing, the way he presents and explains the topic really impressed me. The course is well structured, each lecture is supported by additional links to videos and readings. I really enjoyed the course, every week i learned new things, got understanding why people behave in a certain way and found answers to many questions i had. Thank you!

By Guillermo

Aug 11, 2020

I would really like to appreciate the effort of Professor Steve Joordens in making this MOOC , I have been a long time seeking a comprehensive introduction to psychology via books or internet but never had the big picture that this course has given me, from here I can dig deeper on selected concepts.

Really recommend it and thanks to Coursera, University of Toronto Scarborough and all the people participating in discussions and rating essays!

By VIPUL R G

Aug 9, 2020

The professor or guide is one of the best teacher I have ever seen, he makes every this real easy to understand and the best part is that he not only teaches but shows you how the theory really works in the real life. It is evident that professor Steve Joordens is passionate about his teaching and is very knowledgeable. The quality of content and material in this course shows that prof has really worked hard for creating this lecture series.

By Mihika M

Jun 23, 2020

This is my first ever course in Coursera and it was honestly a fascinating experience. Steve Joordens taught me so much, I hadn't even learned all this in my college. He explained some deep and dark points but somehow managed to make me smile in every lecture. I have been listening and seeing him for almost 9-10 weeks now and I already miss him! I really hope he comes up with more psychological courses. Thank you for everything sir. :)

By Sahar A

Jan 4, 2021

A journey of mind emotions, and behaviour was amazing with Professor Steve. The way he describes each and everything in short amount of time is indescribable. I love to learn more from him as well. Mind has power to change our thoughts, emotions, & behaviour but we need to understand the trick of debt. ; ).

Thank you coursera to provide us excellent teachers and many only courses.

Thank you professor for such a wonderful Mind journey.

By Miran S

May 29, 2017

Prof Steve Joordens' course was really interestingly structured. Right from the history of psychology, to neuroscience, to some of the most radical experiments...it kept my interest going. Steve was also easy going and not pedantic. He had a sense of humour. I loved the course and recommended it to others who have taken it too. In fact, because of this course I have gone ahead and signed up with other psychology courses with Coursera.