Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

HW

Feb 17, 2017

I loved every minute of this course! Professor Joordens was very engaging and it was set at just the right pace. I'm looking forward to my next course already! The discussion forums are very helpful.

EC

Dec 16, 2016

good course. suitable for starters. I learnt some basics and something interesting. I now can analyse some social events from the psychology point of view. I understand humanity a little bit better.

101 - 125 of 1,184 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Yola L

Nov 28, 2017

This course kept (still keeping) my attention and interest, because the way it was given by Steve Jordan, very clear, scientific and very funny. He makes it easier to understand. It's a lot of information, but it triggers you to do your own research on the internet and books. I'm enjoying this course and it was never boring.

Thank you for your teaching skill, Steve.

By Daniel P P

Dec 20, 2016

I really enjoyed the course has been entertaining and entertaining with many practical examples to understand the psychological concepts.

The course has given me more knowledge to practice in my life and work, because I work in human resources and the psychological perspective is very important.

Steve Joordens is a great teacher, he has made this course a great job.

By Yi Z (

Jun 16, 2017

It's a great course! I would highly recommend it to those who are interested in psychology but don't have any background. The curriculum itself is very well designed. Professor Steve is inspirational and fun. I like his teaching style very much. What I learned from the course is not just psychology theories and researches but also interesting practical knowledge.

By Ananya

May 12, 2020

Prof Joordens is extremely good at relaying concepts and making them stick. What's more, he's got a sense of humour, too! I loved everything about the course: the pace, the content, and the instructor. Thank you so much, Coursera, for making it available. Truly grateful to every single person involved in this, even the peers who reviewed the papers. Thank you.

By Nitin B

Apr 13, 2018

What a great course I have ever found.....

Thanks to the masterclass instructor who first builds your basics about functioning of brain and then taking you into the journey of psychology.....

I am really fascinating from all those number of experiments that Prof has showed..

One of my best decision ever make to take this course.

Thumbs Up..............Guys .....!

By Yasmine A M

Jul 21, 2017

Amazing!!

This is my second time taking this course, it's loaded with information and it introduces all the branches of psychology really effectively.

Prof. Steve Joordens is wonderful! he's so passionate about what he does, and no one can get bored from listening to his lectures.

Thank you Prof.Steve and thank you coursera for giving us this great opportunity!

By Isabel V A

Mar 16, 2017

A thorough Psychology introduction, from backgrounds, to nowadays with stops in all key topics (Psychology main branches and fields, biological explanations related to Psychology, Social Psychology, memory, mental illness, etc.) explained by Prof. Steve Joordens with real passion, a truly great communicator, with a deep knowledge of all topics in the course.

By Samrat S

Mar 25, 2020

Immense powerful, the most powerful course i have taken so far in coursera. Thanks to Prof Steve for putting so much effort to put so much meaningful content in precise manner and articulate the same in this course. i strongly suggest anyone who is interested in the science of mind behavior or in general psychology should take up this course as a first step.

By Trevor H

Jan 24, 2018

Wonderful course! Every opportunity to go above and beyond in this course is provided and encouraged through Professor Joordens' intriguing and inclusive teaching style. He is one of the most wonderful online teachers I have ever had, and really goes out of his way to make the course interesting and fun while still being down to earth and easy to understand.

By Rita M S

Jun 05, 2017

An excellent course! A very useful and thorough introduction to the psychology field, I am left feeling inspired to learn more. Professor Steve Joordens is inspirational and fun to follow. Only criticism I have is that there were some administrative issues, for example the mid-term test covering topics of 5 weeks, while the test was set in week 4.

By Dulce M

Jun 08, 2020

Steve is very knowledgeable and explained the course material well. I thought his videos were great and liked that he added some personal touches (and mentioned Canada when he could, yay Canada!). Very interesting subject...I'd like to look into more psychology courses. Thank you for making this a wonderful experience! I look forward to more.

By Amanda L T

Apr 28, 2020

This is a really helpful and interesting course. I learnt a lot about psychology and different concept. Thank you, Prof. Steven, for conducting the course and prepared for the course material. He is entertaining tho LOL I still remembered he put a recipe for relevance reference just because he mentioned it once. Highly recommend for the course.

By Anthony T

Feb 09, 2017

Professor Steve Joorden's was a pleasure to have as our lecturer in this introduction to psychology. The course has introduced me to previously unfamiliar psychological concepts which has broadened my understanding of the mechanics of the human mind, and social psychology especially. Thank you Coursera and Prof. Joordens for this great course.

By Chang H P

Jun 11, 2020

A good course. suitable for starters.

I came from a non-psychology related background and I learnt some basics of psychology, how this area of studies came about and now I can analyse some social events from the psychology point of view. I can safely claimed that I understand humanity now, a little bit better than before I took up the course.

By Gaurav A

Dec 16, 2016

The course gives a good high level view of different aspects of psychology. Professor Steve truly infuses a positive energy into the entire experience. I do not have any formal psychology education. The course help me establish some fundamentals.

I would surely recommend this course to the beginners. Hope to see an advanced level of the same.

By Trinh T T

Jun 16, 2017

lots of useful knowledge given in a fun and casual way. The lecturer Steve is good, funny and cool. And I love his lectures on kids development for parents as I am a parent of a toddler myself, and I agreed totally with what he said. This course helps you to be aware of the psychological aspect in everyday situations which is cool and usual.

By Parul A

Jan 09, 2017

Wonderful course, wonderful instructor. All the lectures are interesting, relevant, and explained very well. The outside resources (some i could not access because they had been taken down, or the links provided didn't work) were brilliant and very helpful as well.

Prof. Joordens should now start a more advanced course on psychology as well.

By Alice A

May 12, 2020

This course kept me interested all the way. It was pleasurable to take it. I was hooked. I was moving from a lesson to the other wanting to know more and more. Now that it is over I feel empowered with knowledge, but I also feel I want more. I highly recommend it. Many Thanks to Steve Joordens who made it accessible and easy to understand.

By Haley W

Oct 24, 2019

I love this course ! The professor is very clear in what he is explaining and he makes it very interesting. I definitely learned a lot through this course, and hope to find other courses taught by Steve Joordens. I definitely recommend this course to any beginner in Psychology, or anyone hoping to brush up on some knowledge on the subject.

By karankumar k s

Mar 24, 2019

It was really a great informative course. i had great fun learning from prof steve. it certainly perceive world in a different way now thanks to this course. i started this course just for fun purpose but it turned out to be really helpful so i decided to stick to the end.

once again a big thanks to prof steve and coursera for this course.

By Neeraj K M

Jun 18, 2020

I absolutely enjoyed taking this course! Professor Steve Joordens did an incredible job explaining the course material and providing additional reading materials to extend my knowledge thoroughly. I can see his teachings are coming so much by heart that i always find myself excited throughout the course for the next lecture. Thanks Steve.

By Salima A

Jun 07, 2020

It was my very 1st Coursera study and I was so much benefitted by the skills learnt by it. Professor Steve is an awesome person to deliver the lecture, his words kept me bounded to the course as a student and also helped me practice the skills in my daily life.

Thanks a bunch to the team Coursera and My Professor Steve Joordans.

Salima Aziz

By AW

Feb 24, 2018

An accessible, fun course, covering a wide range of topics in the field of Psychology. The content was taught in a very clear and professional, yet light-hearted manner (kudos to prof. Joordens!) I would recommend the course to beginner-to-intermediate level psychology-lovers who would like to deepen their knowledge and gain some insight.

By Chrisyl P

Jul 26, 2020

This was such a comprehensive and compact Cporse encompassing the basics of Psychology. The lecturer, Steve Jorordens did a remarkable job in introducing and touching up on the most important topics and going through them in a very interesting and enjoyable way. The further references and the little life tips given were extremely useful.

By Mara R

Dec 18, 2017

Very good course, very comprehensive, well structured and documented, very useful knowledge and resources. It was a real pleasure to follow the course lesson by lesson. And this is mainly the merit of the wonderful professor who is not only knowledgeable but also very dedicated and funny! Thank you very much for this learning experience!