Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by Yale University

What are people most afraid of? What do our dreams mean? Are we natural-born racists? What makes us happy? What are the causes and cures of mental illness? This course tries to answer these questions and many others, providing a comprehensive overview of the scientific study of thought and behavior. It explores topics such as perception, communication, learning, memory, decision-making, persuasion, emotions, and social behavior. We will look at how these aspects of the mind develop in children, how they differ across people, how they are wired-up in the brain, and how they break down due to illness and injury....

KJ

Dec 27, 2020

I just ended this course smiling & 'happy' with the final topic. 🎉 Thank you for the wonderful experience. Professor Bloom did a great job in explaining and a very pleasant, soothing voice to present!

NN

Sep 19, 2020

The course was helpful in gaining the foundation of psychology. It was clearly structured so that a person with any background can understand it. Thanks for helping me to gain knowledge on psychology.

126 - 150 of 5,135 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Angie T

Jul 7, 2020

Excelente

By Adriana L

Dec 13, 2019

I think the Yale psychology course by Professor Bloom was a good experience. I would give this course a four-star out of five-star rating. The reason I think this, is because it was good for the most part but sometimes it got a little boring and there were topics that I didn’t think would be a part of an introductory course to psychology. However, I do think he did an excellent job explaining everything he taught. I went into psychology not knowing much about the subject, but Professor Bloom made everything clearer and I gained a better knowledge of psychology.

By Gabriella E G

Dec 14, 2019

I would like to start by giving Dr. Bloom's intro to Psychology course a four out-of five star rating. I am giving it a four out-of five rating, because it was good but it had a few things that I personally would change about it. I liked almost everything about it, but sometimes it got boring for me. I loved when we talked about all the mental illnesses, but I also got bored in the beginning. In the beginning it felt like it took forever to get through. Also when we were learning about Freud I found that very boring.

By HIMAJA V

Jul 8, 2020

I thoroughly understood the concept of human behaviour especially the mental health its therapy . Thank you for giving me this opportunity thanks alot

By Kalyani M

May 9, 2019

Lectures, videos and professor were good. The english transcript though had some mistakes. Video/audio needs to be transcribed more carefully.

By Morgana O B

Jul 7, 2020

Muito bom para estudantes de psicologia e quem quer que deseje aprender um pouco sobre esse mundo!

By Stephanie C

Jun 14, 2020

This course had great content and was really interesting.

By Kshitij

Jun 14, 2020

Nice course for beginners!!

By AHAD H

Jul 8, 2020

awesome

By Naomi G

Jan 6, 2021

The course content itself is fascinating, the lectures are interesting and the visuals, while sometimes not totally relevant, are fun and creative.

The absolute WORST thing about this course, is the gosh darn sound effects (bubbling water, gurgles, paper rustling etc) that constantly overlap the voice of the Professor. For someone who's brain works like mine, I simply cannot tune out those things. My brain gives equal attention to the speaking and to the sound effects until I can no longer focus on the words. Its horribly distracting and has sadly detracted from my enjoyment of an otherwise great learning experience.

By Jenna S

Jul 20, 2020

In order to get the most out of the class, you will likely want to take notes and do the reading. Otherwise, the quizzes are pretty easy to pass with just watching the video lectures, but you won't leave the class with much value.

I wish the lectures had been longer and more substantive. And what other way of interactivity can you get, besides the discussions. I didn't even go back into the lecture after the first time I poked around. It's nothing like in-person discussion groups so it's a little hard to invest.

By Anoopa S J

Jul 20, 2020

The course covers most of the topics I expected but the video was very bad. The sound recording is also of very poor quality. The course material is quite extensive. The reading time of 10 minutes allotted is a joke. Some topics take hours to finish. Because of these negatives, I had to drag myself to finish the course, which otherwise is very interesting and informative.

By Trang C

Apr 6, 2020

A very engaging course and I would recommend it to someone who wants a very basic understanding of the various sub disciplines of psychology. I felt it was just a bit too easy.

By eli

Jan 1, 2022

i enjoyed the animation honestly - my problem is some of the content discussed was outdated knowledge that it gotten to the point where it did feel a little insulting (as a person on the spectrum I didn't really enjoy the little section calling us "robots" or that we think similarly to children when we approach things). some of the information is helpful, but you couldve easily found a book to tell you all you need to know

By Chelsea E G

May 9, 2020

This intro made no mention of Freud or Jung, both of whom I'd like to study more about. They were pioneers. How could you forget this pertinent info?

By Jace G

Feb 7, 2022

This class is awful and really outdated. It's, at best, offensive for no reason. I can't believe there's a legitimate 'why god why' moment over the urethra going through the prostate when like...there are a million better reasons to argue against creationism. Which also goes into this, Creationism, Duality...sometimes they make sense to bring up. But we were supposed to be learning about emotion, and literally the whole thing was just dunking on Creationism instead lol. Also, I don't know that this guy actually knows Autistic people exist outside of Temple Grandin or Autism Speaks ways of looking at things. I was really looking forward to learning something but it was really jarring how much just didn't make sense. "You can't understand language if you don't speak language...also here's a study I did with my wife asking 6 month olds about morality to see if they understand it" lol. Get all the way out of here. There are far better Intro Psych classes. Don't let the fancy 'Yale' tag tempt you.

By Larry F

Oct 8, 2021

course needs to be credited..... kind of a waist of time. I was trying to complete core classes. don't spend the money!!!!!!!

By Vital R M

Jun 26, 2021

je ne trouve pas le cours en francais.je ne comprends pas tres bien l'anglais

By Jahanara A J

Jun 7, 2020

Nice but i haven’t found my certificate yet...

By Alfar A

GOOD COURSE BUT TOO COSTLY

Jun 7, 2020

want to unenroll

By Cheng C L

Sep 21, 2020

This is the best and one of the most useful courses I have ever attended. I have learnt so much and this course gives a fantastic overview of the subject of psychology. I took this course because I have always been interested in the way people think and curious about the motivations for their behaviours. But more importantly, i wanted to understand my kids more, and help them in their pursuits in life, if I could. Some of the biggest challenges are in the areas of understanding their motivations and capabilities, and one current challenge is in memory retention for their studies. This course gave me a good overview on that, from encoding and methods of encoding information and how failures of memory can occur. But the sum of all the other parts, in understanding their personalities and perceptions are also important, because their ability to learn and retain information and translate them to knowledge also depends on how they think and where and why they are having challenges. I am reviewing the materials again and again because each time I learn something more than my initial reading.

Prof Bloom has managed to condense the breadth and scope of a very complex and wide subject into a highly informational course. I am very grateful for these materials, to have an expert summarize the critical areas of learning to be further explored, if desired. The world is made better by generous contributions as these, for those who wish to understand oneself and others a little more, there is no parallel as starting point.

I also found the animations cute as helpful mnemonics, well done to the animator! And to the Prof who understood that some of us especially an auditory and visual learner like myself need these to help make the points more distinctive and interesting.

Lastly the last chapter on The Good Life, Subjective Well-Being, so needed to tie everything together, for we are a species who can not only intelligently process the causes and effects of our condition, but to also by our actions and design enrich ourselves and others if we so wish.

Thank you Prof Bloom and Coursera, and Ms Julia Veldman the visual storyteller.

By Jonila S

I started this course merely to see if Psychology is a field that interests me. Due to some circumstances, I never had the opportunity to study any part of psychology in high school so I wanted to see where my interest stands to pursue higher education in psychology or even neuroscience. I recommend this course to all the people who are in the same position that I was or who are interested in building a good foundation to their knowledge on psychology. I found this course to be so interesting that I completed it in 6 days rather than the average time of completion being 6 weeks. Maybe a smarter idea would've been to have gone through this course gradually as it's meant to be completed in 6 weeks but the fact is that I became so interested that participation in this course seemed not only educational but fun too. Until 6 days ago I was unsure of what I want to major in college but now I think I can say I know the field I want to study for the upcoming 4 years as I had so much fun studying it. This course was very helpful and efficiently educational. The methods that were used were engaging and always left you wanting to research even more on the topics discussed. While taking this course I found out that many questions in psychology are unanswered. There are a lot of theories left to be proven. The good thing is that upon completing the course I feel motivated to do my own research and find possible answers to those questions. Whether I do find accurate answers is not nearly as important as the point that I have an interest to research those theories. To sum it up this course left me feeling inspired to further my knowledge on psychology.

By Elise M A

May 1, 2020

This was my first Coursera course and I have to say, that I am fairly impressed! The course wasn't too difficult to understand and Professor Bloom was always asking deeply thought questions which required his audience to think a lot more about their own behaviors. Throughout this course I myself was able to come to my own hypotheses and theories as to why I and others act a certain way and I'm ready to ask even more questions after doing this course. I'm not an Ivy league student by any means, (I'm in high school.) but I really do think that this course is well fitted for most people. Professor Bloom provides much visual representation throughout his videos. (He's a cartoon.) and speaks at a rate that's not too fast or too slow. (Plus subtitles help.) He further provides articles that are very reliable and relevant to what he's teaching and quizzes that can be redone easily if the student answers a few questions wrong. (or a lot.) I think it would be really interesting if Professor Bloom added courses that a person could do after Intro. to Psychology that were more focused on the specific subcategories of psychology, rather than psychology as a whole itself. For example, a whole class on developmental psychology, personality psychology, criminal psychology, and much more. Overall, I would recommend this course to anyone who just wants to understand people a little bit better. I give this course a 5/5.

By Yeşim E

Oct 3, 2020

Dear Prof Bloom

I had 2 Psych courses as an undergrad, but it had all turned rather hazy in time, which is why I enrolled. Now, I'm relishing the course, and definitely taking all the time I need to LEARN it. I'm constantly behind schedule, but that's because I want to make the best of it, and I have other obligations as well. The second module gave me great insight into language teaching; I already had some knowledge of Skinner, Piaget and Chomsky, but it was superficial. Do I need it to teach English? Maybe not everyone, but I do. I need to see the foundation of the building in order to feel safe manipulating the top floor. I'm in the third part now, and the information I got from your talk as well as the appended articles about attention (esp. inattentional blindness) is going straight into a PP presentation I'm making about why my students shouldn't be checking Instagram while we're doing grammar (with proper referencing, of course). I've talked about it over the years, but with the proper references I'm hoping it'll be more effective.

So thank you already, although I might be writing a second review when I actually finish the course.

Yesim Erdogru