Back to Introduction to Software Product Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Software Product Management by University of Alberta

This course highlights the importance and role of software product management. It also provides an overview of the specialization, as well as its goals, structure, and expectations. The course explains the value of process, requirements, planning, and monitoring in producing better software....

NK
Jan 10, 2019

The course was very interactive, useful and interesting. I can definitely apply the knowledge that I gained out of this course to my day on day work on Software Management. Kudos to the production and

ED
Feb 18, 2018

Though it is an introductory course, it is packed with great information about managing a software product. I enjoyed the course, and I am moving on with the next course on the SPM specialization.

1 - 25 of 1,119 Reviews for Introduction to Software Product Management

By Vishal G

May 31, 2019

The course is wonderful for a beginner to get his/her concepts right before diving into software product management.

By Denis B

Oct 25, 2015

Course title is misleading. It is actually a course on Managing Agile Software development, not Product management.

There is common understanding in active product management community that major focus for product manager is market. Market is not mentioned in this course at all.

What requirements and schedule, guys??? Current product management is all about hypotheses, A/B testing, customer development, experiments, lean UX, etc.

You completely missing the point.

Still, this course can be a good one for those who want to start Managing agile software development.

By Justin B

Feb 24, 2018

This specialization does nothing to prepare you for a job in product management, it barely scratches the surface of the requirements for even a PM internship (most of which require an MBA anyway). I invested a significant amount of time and effort into completing this specialization and found out all of my effort was a complete waste when it came to start job hunting. While it may be useful to understand some of the foundational concepts, the basics can be easily taught in the first week on the job. What employers are really looking for are hard skills like Scrum certifications, quantitative analytics, SQL fluency, data visualization, and a thorough understanding of business metrics, none of which this specialization covers.

By Gretchen G

Aug 31, 2018

This course is excellent. It's difficult, but students learn by watching University of Alberta videos and third-party TED talks, as well as by reading interesting and crucial textual materials.

By Nicolai C A A

Jul 8, 2019

Excelent to understand the foundations of product lifecicle

By Pratik

Excellent Introduction to basics of Software Development Process !

I am 10 years experienced software professional, and can truly certify the elements mentioned in the course. Also having said, it is a good refresher as some of the topics are not strictly followed by industry leading to issues after a couple of months.

Would recommend for everyone !

NOTE: A more practical example of end -end journey would be super helpful - Pratik D

By Omar A

Nov 12, 2019

Indeed a great Course to Start with. If you are new to Software Product Management Field, this course will help you understanding the process and basically identifying the role of Product Manager/Analyst. The course carries the depth knowledge, I rate this course 10/10. I am planning to cover all the 6 courses from this specialization.

By Maximilian W

Dec 14, 2015

This course explained to me comprehensibly what a Product Manager does which is already a good thing to start from.

In addition it really gave me some insight into modern ways of managing a development team.

Therefore I would recommend that course to anyone working as a developer and not knowing what these "PMs" are doing.

By R D S

Jan 17, 2018

I think it was a short but to the point course to teach you the basics and importance of client requirements, following processes and agile development methodology which are crucial elements in becoming a successful product manager. Sincere thanks and Cheers to the team from University of Alberta for creating this course!

By Luke L

Apr 10, 2016

This is an awesome intro to SW product management. It points out the main difference between SW product management compared to product management of other industries. Specifically, Change.

It is a great way for experienced product managers of other industries to transition into the SW business.

By Sameera W

Feb 3, 2019

This course introduces the concept of product management and how it applies to a agile software development. A focus it lacks is the introduction of managing a product such as design, roadmap, etc. and also the lack of focus on design.

By Richard J H

Jan 11, 2017

This course was an excellent way to begin immersing myself into the specialization. I am new to this field but can imagine myself using much of my printed out material as future reference

By Haitao

Jul 4, 2019

Great!I have some understanding about software product management. Continue to learn, let's go!

By Sérgio F

Jun 23, 2019

Curso muito bacana mostrando a introdução do Gerenciamento de Produtos de software!

By Joniz G

Jul 5, 2019

Muy bueno

By Boxuan Z

Jun 8, 2019

not too much knowledge grow

By Andreia M

Jul 21, 2017

I've been waiting for the end of the Capstone project to review all courses of the specialization. I want to check how they interact and how would the concepts be applied. I couldn't be more satisfied! This specialization is very complete and focused on the main topic "Software Product Management". Although there are several additional resources for us to deeply analyse a concept that interest us, the overall course gives you the necessary view of all options available without becoming to generic. I really recommend this specialization and congratulate all the team involved on developing this course. Thanks!

By Manuel G C

Oct 31, 2020

Great course, I like it a lot, because the content was presented in very simple way, easy to understand even for people like me that I not coder or system designer.

I have learned the basic about SPM, and I am ready to continue my trainning to turn this in a new opportunities for my career, being a SP Manager or Agile Master Leader.

This is my secound diploma earned in coursera , I will 100% recommend this plataform for my collegues and people that I know and they are willing to keep learning to make advances in thier porfessional careers.

By Muhammad N A Z

Mar 3, 2019

Excellent course to become a Software Product Manager (SPM). The overview has given enough insight to appreciate the need for completing the rest of the course. This would be invaluable for any product manager or leader who needs to have a clear idea about how software product management should work.

I have 14 years experience in running a telecom company and has developed many softwares till date. I wish I attended this earlier. Must do course!

A great course for anyone who wishes to explore SPM job.

By Eshan B

May 13, 2020

This course is simply fantastic. Course content is very well designed and explained. There is just too much to learn and explore. I was able to understand what it takes to be a Software Product manager , what does Project Success mean and core of Agile principles. I wish to explore further to strengthen my understanding about subject "Software Product Management". I thank you the Team for providing me an opportunity to lean this subject.

By Pallavit A

Aug 20, 2019

Provides a good starting point to begin thinking and talking about products and its management. Resources are helpful, and I'd suggest going the extra mile and really researching deeply about all that's being said to get a better grip over it. Software devs, techies and managers may feel that most of the information is at a basic level and even well known, but there's always something new that each slide and video offers. Keep learning.

By Nenna

Feb 24, 2020

I am happy to take part in this course and learn from professionals. I like the way in which the lessons are represented and constructed including the questions, so it makes us think, and not just listen or read. Also, the outside links, like the ones to TED and other valuable resources are indeed very helpful. I like quizzes at the end of every week since they are challenging our knowledge. All in all, I really enjoyed it.

By Madhusudhan R K

Oct 23, 2017

Introduction to product management is explained well in this course. As I am already into product management, learnt few good things that can help me on daily activities. Agile methodology introduction is also helpful. Knowing roles of product/project manager is very important and helps what to be done to achieve the right product by doing right planning. Overall great course and learning product management principles.

By EDWIN A R B

Oct 23, 2020

This course is a very complete introduction to software product management, it shows you what is a software product manager, what are your responsabilities and what is needed to achieve them. Also it shows you the contents of the specialization and teaches you whatis a software development process and what is needed to make it right. I liked it a lot and encouraged me to take the other courses ASAP.

By Nazli

Apr 17, 2019

This course provides a good foundation as to what software product management is, but it does not go into great detail. For further detail and to really learn each methodology and practice, other related courses should be taken. I'm currently on the second course, and so far it's been very informative. Can't wait to finish all 6 courses and get the specialization :)