Back to Introduction to User Experience Principles and Processes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to User Experience Principles and Processes by University of Michigan

This UX course provides an introduction to the fields of UX research and design. Learners will gain an understanding of what is involved in UX research, including conducting interviews, evaluating systems, and analyzing systems using principles of good design. Learners will also learn about the work involved in UX Design, including the generation of promising design solutions and the creation of prototypes at multiple levels of fidelity. By interleaving successive phases of UX Research and Design, learners will see how to learn from inevitable mistakes and improve towards a product with a great UX. What you'll learn: - The skills needed for UX research and design
 - How UX researchers discover and assess user needs and assess possible designs
 - How to conduct a micro-usability test
 - How UX designers use sketching and prototyping to develop design concepts - How to incorporate a user-centered focus into the design process
 - Key features of human behavior and describe their impact on the design of interactive systems
 - Techniques for critiquing and designing interactive systems based on human capabilities and behavior
...

RK

Jul 26, 2020

I really liked completing this course. It has given me a push to start my own design journey. This is a very well planned syllabus and it is from my dream university made it even more special for me.

SL

Aug 07, 2019

This course not only gives you a deep understanding of UX principles but it also provides an ability to work on some interesting assignments that will help you gain practical knowledge.

1 - 25 of 164 Reviews for Introduction to User Experience Principles and Processes

By Olivia H

Dec 10, 2019

The theoretic part is interesting and so are the assignments. However, the fact that there are ONLY peer graded assignments, is not a good idea. It's important to have feedback from professionals and not only from students who are also learning. It's good to have SOME peer graded exercises to see other people's work and learn from them. I like the quizzes and that I can go at my own pace. Lastly, not being able to contact the teacher really sucks.

By Aviv H S

Aug 12, 2019

Make sure you submit your final assignment weeks before your next renewal date. The system will make sure there are no other peers to grade it for you to complete the course, that it will fail you, so you'll need to pay for another month just to re-submit the final assignment. Very disappointing,

By Danielle N

Apr 29, 2020

The content is great but peer review is horrible. Everyone is at the same level so why am I being graded by peers who might not understand the project. I have had to resubmit projects multiple times because peers are randomly clicking grades and leaving no feedback. I recommend switching these assignments to just quizzes or capstone projects.

By Sirisha L

Aug 07, 2019

By Asif M K

Jun 03, 2019

Very well structured course. I've learned a lot of new things; the first assignment was a tough one though, however, reading the Discussion board kinda helps, always.

By René F M

Mar 10, 2020

The evaluation process and feedback didn't come from a professional, but instead from someone that was studying like me, so I see a much lower value on this due to that.

Discussion forums need to be updated, you get lost in there because you categorize or filtered enough to get to your own post to follow up on it.

By Michelle P

This is a great introduction to User Experience Principles and Processes. I was well pleased with the extent of information and resources to grasp what the principles and processes are. The assignments helped reinforce the learning and gave me something to take with me as a guide to continue on learning or start applying these principles in my work. I highly recommend not only this course, but also the professor. He was easy to follow and explained the subject very well.

By Yolanda M A

Mar 07, 2019

Fantastic course! I highly recommend it. The teacher is awesome, the exercises and tasks really help in the learning process and the whole course is very well explained an organised

By William S

May 19, 2019

Very good and informative. The only downside is I wish other students could finish their assignments faster so I can finish all my peer review tasks.

By Ari R

Mar 20, 2019

Course videos are great and the instructor does a good job at explaining the material. However the course assessments and assessment submission experience was a let down. Please be reasonable and explain the assessment properly and take a look at how confusing submitting is.

By shehroz a

Sep 19, 2019

Very detailed and easy to learn course one thing I had issue with was peer grading it takes quite some time to get grades.

By Olivia A C

Apr 10, 2020

getting peer reviews was difficult

By Kevin H

The course content is of a very high standard and interesting. However the Peer Review assignments do little to contribute towards learning outcomes. Marking is highly inconsistent and open to abuse, students will revenge mark for receiving low grades on their assignments. Students do not keep to the marking guidelines and frequently apply their own made up criteria. Peer Review is very much a flawed method and is used extensively in this specialization unfortunately. Coursera provides no support on this and you have to just keep resubmitting the assignment in the hope of eventually finding a constructive peer review.

By S.M. J I

Jul 16, 2020

This is a very wonderful well organized User Experience Design introductory course. I learned about the total ideas of UX design and learned how to evaluate heuristics and report writing exactly and so on. My honorable teacher Associate Professor Mark Newman is really great for teaching. He teaches all the things very clearly. I recommend to newcomers to enroll the course to know about user experience design actually.

Thanks .

By Michael W

May 16, 2019

Cool course, great materials, excellent lecturer (Assoc. Prof. Mark Newman) and was able to take away useful and applicable knowledge that I will be using regularly... I would recommend this course if you are interesting not just in design, but what the underlying drivers are for design... function and purpose, and evaluating, using known and accepted metrics, whether or not the product satisfies those criteria...

By Uluğhan E

Aug 03, 2020

This is a great course for getting into User Experience Design and Research. If you intend to take it, get ready to alter your mind in a way that you perceive and evaluate items, objects, websites and applications as whether they are useful or not. In addition to that important feature, it is fun and enjoyable to take a part in this course, along with Mark Newman's great instruction!

By Jennifer G

Feb 29, 2020

Great course! Very interesting; learned a lot about design, and deeper concepts about heuristics. Really enjoyed the videos and the readings. I learned about the psychology of user experience. Definitely got to stretch beyond the types of designs I had done before, which were strictly educational apps. The elevator assignment was challenging and interesting.

By A C

Oct 21, 2019

This was a good introductory course. I was taking another Coursera specialization course on UX/UI design in parallel to this one, and the additional exercises that I did in this course gave me a more broader understanding of the methodologies applied to user experience research. I recommend this course if you're interested in pursuing the specialization.

By Paulina L

Oct 23, 2019

I thought this course was wonderful. It's a very detailed, helpful, and thought out course. It gives students hands-on learning experience and materials that help put the work into perspective and gives students advice from people who are currently in those careers. This is my first Cousera class, and it has met and exceeded all expectations.

By Chris S M P

May 04, 2020

I really loved this course, and it seems to me that it has excellent bases to start learning about UX, considering that it contains very extensive information. The content is very well structured, and Professor Newman explains very coherently. Thank you, Coursera and the University of Michigan for this course.

By Riazul I

May 12, 2019

I liked the course very much as it gave me a good introductory idea about UX research and design. The letcures were informative as well as useful and the assignments were helpful too. I woule recommend the course if someone wants to get an idea about the theoretical knowledge of UX research and design.

By Avinash K

May 15, 2019

The way how this course turned my thoughts from design-centric to user-centric through a successful methodology was just amazing, each and every assignment was tough once you understand the core principles, but overall it's enjoyable and loveable. Thank you Very Much, Mr Mark Newman.

By Disha

Jun 19, 2020

I loved the interaction-based model, and the assignments were extremely engaging. Peer reviews helped exponentially, and the course structure and topics were very well moderated. Looking forward to learning more on your platform! This was an amazing first course for me. Thank you!

By Daniela G

Jan 14, 2020

awesome course, really very complete. Sometimes i neede to watch two times some parts, because it is a lot of information in one place. I can say i like this course really very complete. And you need to do your work, do not expect this is easy.

By Ismini P

Mar 07, 2020

I couldn't think of a better introduction to the field of UX. I am very pleased with the course content, structure and delivery. It inspired me to keep learning about the subject. Many thanks to Dr Newman and everyone involved.