Back to Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems by University of California, Irvine

The explosive growth of the “Internet of Things” is changing our world and the rapid drop in price for typical IoT components is allowing people to innovate new designs and products at home. In this first class in the specialization you will learn the importance of IoT in society, the current components of typical IoT devices and trends for the future. IoT design considerations, constraints and interfacing between the physical world and your device will also be covered. You will also learn how to make design trade-offs between hardware and software. We'll also cover key components of networking to ensure that students understand how to connect their device to the Internet. Please note that this course does not include discussion forums. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Define the term “Internet of Things” 2. State the technological trends which have led to IoT 3. Describe the impact of IoT on society 4. Define what an embedded system is in terms of its interface 5. Enumerate and describe the components of an embedded system 6. Describe the interactions of embedded systems with the physical world 7. Name the core hardware components most commonly used in IoT devices 8. Describe the interaction between software and hardware in an IoT device 9. Describe the role of an operating system to support software in an IoT device 10. Explain the use of networking and basic networking hardware 11. Describe the structure of the Internet 12. Describe the meaning of a “network protocol” 13. Explain MANETs and their relation to IoT...

PK

Oct 27, 2020

This course is full of benefit. Content of the course is very accurate. Teacher who was teaching was also good. I would suggest to all the beginner to learn this topic who are interested in IoT field.

ME

Sep 18, 2017

good course :)\n\nplease review my assignment to complete my course :(\n\nhttps://www.coursera.org/learn/iot/peer/qYW91/module-1-peer-review-identify-and-analyze-a-device/review/VBUuMpl_EeeuPhL2ByDlUA

26 - 50 of 2,602 Reviews for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

By Baroudi S

Oct 01, 2016

A course graded only by your peers ! what's the point ? Well the peers that graded my answers are not qualified to grade my work, useless, wast of time grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

By Emmanuel C G

Mar 05, 2016

The peer review is a bad bad idea.

By Aditya N S K

Feb 25, 2019

Too many peer review questions

By Dale R A

Mar 04, 2018

I took this one second. Really liked it. Thank you Mr. Harris. However, about the whole specialization in general and Coursera in general.

1.) Forums would be really useful on this, maybe it is hard to moderate I understand. Maybe you could suggest some online discussion spaces that you use

2.) I am in the project capstone final course now and came back here to see the microcontrollers I had researched in course #1.. but can't get to my homework. I lost that work which I thought I would be able to look back on. To help with this, if I guess Coursera does not persist your homework, the courses which have textbox inputs should be maybe switched to attaching documents, so the user will tend to have saved the document on their computer.

Thank you I have and am learning a lot. My project will really help me around the house too. This was a great series and worthy of the money I paid to support it the past few months. Keep up the good work. P.S. Ian G. Harris is popular

By Jon F

Mar 05, 2017

This is by far the best course I have taken on Coursera, or any other open online course. In fact, I would rate it as a top five courses ever including my undergraduate and graduate education at preeminent US universities. Professor Harris does an excellent job of giving the learner a survey of fundamental computing, IoT and networking concepts. While somewhat technical, the course is far from boring and his style/approach make it easy for even non-technical learners to follow the coursework. I thoroughly enjoyed the course, learned a lot and look forward to continuing the experience in the full Specialization.

By Pranav B K

Jul 26, 2020

This course is really best for those students who are starting their journey in learning IoT. This course provides best content from start to end providing video lectures in which every concept is taught in details and in easy language. Along with quiz the assignment submission really helps a lot to learn more about IoT. By reviewing the peer's assignment one can learn a lot and think out of the box. I am thankful to Coursera and Prof. Ian Harris and his team from University of California-Irvine for offering this course. I hope your course team will definitely come up with such interesting courses in near future.

By Thomas h M

Mar 06, 2018

Good introduction. Instructor well organized, concise. The only improvement would be to have more power points such that I wouldn't have to do so much snipping and pasting. The ppts you use are very good, just add more. Many of us will use excel and snipping tools to aid in retaining this class. This method is better than saving the mp4's because we can quickly scan excel pages.

I would add more technical info. The wireshark was cool but expand on it more.

Thank you for your time Dr. Harris and all you others who put this together.

By YOGESHWAR D C

Mar 26, 2017

An great introductory course for those looking to get started into IOT ,great if you're looking for breadth rather than depth , which I feel is essential because of nature of IoT as a domain requires one to be familiar with multiple fields like embedded systems , types of programming languages ,networking , micro-controllers etc simultaneously . Prof. Harris explains complex things in really simple manner without overwhelming the learner which I think is necessary for a beginner to retain interest in exploring further .

By Janna H

Feb 26, 2017

This information was new to me. With a lot of work to watch and rewatch the lectures, I learned A LOT. I had to redo the homework for two separate weeks because I have no background in this field. I found it helpful to grade many more than the required homework assignment because then I learned from my other classmates. It was a challenging class but also interesting. I'm very excited to take the next class in the specialization, Aruduino and C Programming.

By Barbara M R

Jan 17, 2016

Well explained and structured course as an intro to the Internet of the Thing, the professor is very clear in his explanations and the tours and videos exploring real life instruments he uses in his laboratory helps you to keep the theory he teaches in connection to the practice. Recommended for anyone wanting to have an idea about the domain. Not only technically speaking but also as a review of the implications of technologies in daily life.

By Luis F B

Oct 27, 2020

Great course for newcomers in this IoT world. Professor Harris transmit information in such an intuitive and clear way, with day-to-day examples and witty analogies, so a very specific and relatively complex subject turns very understandable. This course will provide you the very basics of IoT but is design to guarantee that you will acquire consistent foundations in this subject to proceed to further courses with more specific applications

By Muniah M

Aug 11, 2020

The best thing about this course is absolutely the assignments at the end of each week. They help the student tremendously in understanding the videos and relate the videos to the real world and real applications. Another amazing thing about it is how it introduces the IOT subject from scratch but eventually, you feel that you learnt a lot even though you still in the introductory course.

By Dr. A S

Jan 28, 2017

This course is very fundamental information about IOT and basic of embedded systems.

Every one can easily got clear idea about the basic microcontroller and its application of IOT,also how to connect with real world and handled the remotly access the information and contolled any type of devices. Using interfacing of tool analyse the entire any type of networks connected with your systems.

By Jim M

Sep 16, 2018

Very concise, highly organized, and totally up-to-date and relevant. Dr. Harris' knowledge and style/delivery made this course completely enjoyable. I am very happy with all that I learned. Big props to Dr. Ian Harris!

I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to delve into the world of IoT and embedded systems. I am excited to begin the next course in the 6 class specialization.

By Ameerah R A M A

Apr 15, 2020

First of all the the most important thing is the course instructor, professor Ian Harris made the course enjoyable ,easy to understand and informative. His way of lecturing remove any boredom any person may have from the many new technicality in the course. Also, I like the course content for an introductory course and I have learned many new things and excited to take next course.

By Chandrika P

Sep 16, 2020

I am graduating in Electronics and Communication Engineering.This course helped me a lot to understand what is Internet of Things and Embedded systems. This course is not only theoretical but also practical.The quizzes and assignments helped to understand the course even more better. And our professor Ian Harris sir teaching is so good that made to listen his classes without bore.

By Rajat S

May 15, 2020

The course was filled with loads of interesting information which was pretty effectively delivered by Professor Ian Harris in the most convincing way I have ever seen.All the assignments and quizzes were prepared in such a way that learner cannot copy those from the internet and has to thoroughly study each and every topic in the course multiple times.No doubt he is at the top.

By Palash J

Jan 25, 2018

This course sets a great learning path for beginners, and if you also opt to complete the entire specialization, I can surely say that it will do you a whole lot of good. This course essentially adopts a holistic approach to introduce students to the awesome world of IoT, and I would definitely recommend this to people who want to start working with development boards.

By Mr. G B P R

Apr 22, 2020

This course id very useful for the people who want to know the fundamentals of Internet of Things and Embedded systems.The professor has explained each and every topic in a well understandable way.I Really want to thank the professor for giving me basic idea of this Course.By having this idea, i can start implementing any advanced applications.Thank You

By Ian M

Aug 20, 2020

What a stellar overview and introduction to the Internet of Things. The professor was very "real," and the pacing was stellar. Thank you, Ian. Thank you, UC-Irvine. You hit it out of the park. I'm going to complete the certificate now. Seriously, awesome work. Sincerely, a professor of GIS at another undergrad-focused university in the midwest

By Nuria M

Feb 26, 2016

An introductory course to this contemporary technologic phenomenon, which merges you inside the very basis of internet functioning and how IOT devices have been evolving and diversifying, how we can understand and conceptualize them, disassembling existing ones (conceptually) and learning the basic ideas on why and how to design an IOT device.

By BOUZENNOUNE Z E

Sep 19, 2015

It is a really cool course, and i'm starting to really enjoy it, especially because of the explanations brought by the professor and also the difficulty on the quizzes wich doesn't show where you were wrong. wich means you'll review almost everything if you are unsure about your answers. thank you for giving us this great opportunity !

By Preetam K S

Jul 01, 2020

Professor Ian Harris has made me love this subject. Nice way of teaching and keeping student's interests up through out the course, especially in the peer graded assignments we have to select objects and analyze them of our own, which is an extra-ordinary way of learning and keeping our interest on. Thanks for this great course!

By Ghali L

Sep 07, 2020

Excellent introduction, I learned a lot.

Sad that the course is this short - there could be a lot of practice derived from the notions explained (i think of how to actually code an embedded systems and make the various components (sensors, microprocessors and actuators) harmoniously interact with each from data input to output.

By MD. N M

Apr 30, 2020

It is really very helpful for me. Actually, this course is based on the very root level i.e for a beginner. If anyone tries to strengthen his basics about IoT, he should have to take this course. This course is also included with the assignment which is a help to get enough ideas about IoT devices and as well as IoT projects.