Back to Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems by University of California, Irvine

The explosive growth of the “Internet of Things” is changing our world and the rapid drop in price for typical IoT components is allowing people to innovate new designs and products at home. In this first class in the specialization you will learn the importance of IoT in society, the current components of typical IoT devices and trends for the future. IoT design considerations, constraints and interfacing between the physical world and your device will also be covered. You will also learn how to make design trade-offs between hardware and software. We'll also cover key components of networking to ensure that students understand how to connect their device to the Internet. Please note that this course does not include discussion forums. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Define the term “Internet of Things” 2. State the technological trends which have led to IoT 3. Describe the impact of IoT on society 4. Define what an embedded system is in terms of its interface 5. Enumerate and describe the components of an embedded system 6. Describe the interactions of embedded systems with the physical world 7. Name the core hardware components most commonly used in IoT devices 8. Describe the interaction between software and hardware in an IoT device 9. Describe the role of an operating system to support software in an IoT device 10. Explain the use of networking and basic networking hardware 11. Describe the structure of the Internet 12. Describe the meaning of a “network protocol” 13. Explain MANETs and their relation to IoT...

ME

Sep 18, 2017

good course :)\n\nplease review my assignment to complete my course :(\n\nhttps://www.coursera.org/learn/iot/peer/qYW91/module-1-peer-review-identify-and-analyze-a-device/review/VBUuMpl_EeeuPhL2ByDlUA

SD

This couse is full of benefit. Content of the course is very accurate. Teacher who was teaching was also good. I would suggest to all the beginner to learn this topic who are interested in IoT field.

51 - 75 of 2,299 Reviews for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

By MOHAMMED S

Apr 20, 2020

It was a challenging class but also interesting. I'm very excited to take the next class in the specialization, Aruduino and C Programming. Very well up course for those who are just starting in IoT and embedded systems. ... Best course available on Coursera on IoT and Embedded Systems.

By Siddharth P

Dec 10, 2019

The course was very descriptive and accurate about the basics required for a person to get into Internet of Thing and Embedded Systems. I would highly recommend this course if you are interested to get to know all the things involved in Internet of Things as well as Embedded Systems

By PRANAVA K S

Jan 19, 2019

A good course on IoT & Embedded Systems basics & building blocks. Gives a very good comprehensive definition and hardware & software components of IoT & Embedded Systems. Good course to develop/converse with Embedded Systems Engineers & Programmers. Thank You Prof. Ian Harris & UCI!

By Wasif S

Aug 04, 2020

This introductory course in the specialization is very essential covering up the small details on computer processing power to network protocols. I especially love the Professor. He is fun, engaging & really provides proper insight into what he is saying. Recommended for anybody!!!

By Girish B U

Jun 02, 2020

A very good course. The way it is explained is very easy to understand and apply in our daily life. A vast information is provided on Iot devices and related subsystems like internet, networking and various protocols. A course which anyone can take up to enhance their knowledge.

By GUILLERMO, J (

Aug 03, 2020

This is a very great course. The topics are not very in depth and detailed but the concepts to be learned can be clearly understood. Many thanks to professor Ian Harris for a great module and to the quizzes and assignments that lets me process my learning about this course.

By Justin L

Jan 04, 2018

As someone who is new but interested in IoT, I think that this introductory course is very helpful. I have learned a lot from this course about IoT and that has inspired me to explore more. However, this course is more towards theory, and not so much into practical.

By Leonardo G

Jan 27, 2016

Great intro course to IoT and embedded system. Prof Harris covers at a high level the several moving parts of this topic. His style makes this course very engaging and dynamic. Recommended to those that want to get into this field, and need a general overview.

By UMA V M

Jul 31, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It was very good course and I learned many new things from this course.I also learned Quizzes, peer Reviews it's also useful and interested for me.The lectures class was so Understandable and Excellent. Thankyou for this course.

By Aarya P

Really Helpful in understanding the very basic of IoT. Don't just expect to jump straight to the coding and all. A very basic is first explained and different aspects about Iot devices are discussed. Nicely explained videos and then proper assingments.

By zerayines l

Aug 05, 2020

this course is much interesting than what i have expected before. so i want to say thanks to those who guide and teach me in this organization cuorera. thanks for all my instructores while doing in this course.interesting course with best explanation.

By Grant P

Mar 13, 2017

This course was a good introduction for me, a non-engineer. There was enough new material to make it worthwhile but not so much as to overwhelm me. The instructor explained concepts in an accessible way, using good examples drawn from daily life.

By A V

Jul 10, 2020

A great and intuitive startup for the persons and students who want to learn embedded systems and internet connectivity go hand in hand and learn many of the applications through practical reading rather than textual reading and quite interesting.

By K,Viswa S

Jun 17, 2020

It is a very good course for beginners to start from zero level.The professors explained everything in a very simple way so that all the users could understand everything easily.So overall it is a very good course to have a basic knowledge on IOT.

By Krunal M K

Jul 09, 2020

Prof. Ian Harris is very good at describing topics. He describes even the tougher topics very easily and it will surely get registered in your mind forever. The course has very good content. The best introduction to IoT and Embedded Systems.

By Randy C K

Feb 29, 2016

This is a very basic introduction to IoT. I found the course to well designed for an easily understanding, even for people with no background knowledge of computer science. It is an added advantage if you know a bit of computer basics though

By Dr. B S P

Prof. Ian Harris is one among the best of the best. I am sincerely saying that, Prof Harris inspired me in improving my way of teaching learning methodology. Thank you GITAM and Coursera for giving this opportunity to learn this course.

By Vivek A

Nov 03, 2017

Excellent course , You learn IOT from scratch . Prof Harris is excellent , he has designed the course masses , he has understanding of issue/concept which might bother student and accordingly has taken of that . Recommend course to all

By Krishna P

Well, initially I had the faintest idea about IoT and Embedded system, but though they are basics such neatly and precisely explained by Ian Harris, and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning this course. Looking forward to the next course

By Dmytro M

Apr 21, 2020

The pronunciation of the lecturer is understandable for non-native English speakers. Good for beginners, but simple (maybe too simple) for those who have minimal experience with embedded systems. Also the course needs some updating.

By Dipanshu K

I have completed my Course of internet of things and embedded systems.I have learned about iot.this course is good for learning about IOT and embedded systems. I have enjoy during the course. And this course more helpful for me.

By Darwin G P c

Oct 26, 2018

Es muy bueno la verdad es que han diseñado una forma muy interactiva para mejorar el aprendisaje, ademas te brindan las herramientas necesarias para que te puedas especializar en el tema o curso que esteés o que estarás tomando.

By Nidamarty S A

Jun 04, 2020

It was just as smooth as you can imagine.

Ofcourse it was fantastic

Sir Harris has really drawn my attention, it was the best online thing I have experienced.

Thank you sir, for everything especially the interest you have created

By Himanshu S

Jun 16, 2019

This course helped me understand about the IoT and embedded systems. This will help me shape my career and advance more in this field. I'm thankful to the prof Ian Harris and I am looking forward to specialize in this course.

By Binod

Aug 30, 2017

Very nice and well covered all required topic to start learning on microcontroller. Learnt many new fundamental concept and want to recommend this course to all who want to learn something in in IOT. Thanks to Mr. Ian Haris.