Back to Java for Android

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java for Android by Vanderbilt University

This MOOC teaches you how to program core features and classes from the Java programming language that are used in Android, which is the dominant platform for developing and deploying mobile device apps. In particular, this MOOC covers key Java programming language features that control the flow of execution through an app (such as Java’s various looping constructs and conditional statements), enable access to structured data (such as Java's built-in arrays and common classes in the Java Collections Framework, such as ArrayList and HashMap), group related operations and data into classes and interfaces (such as Java's primitive and user-defined types, fields, methods, generic parameters, and exceptions), customize the behavior of existing classes via inheritance and polymorphism (such as subclassing and overriding virtual methods). Learners will apply these Java features in the context of core Android components (such as Activities and basic UI elements) by applying common tools (such as Android Studio) needed to develop Java programs and useful Android apps. Learners will work on several hands-on projects throughout the MOOC, i.e., each week will require learners to write solutions to programming assignments that reinforce the material covered in the lecture videos. There will be roughly 4-6 hours of student engagement time per week, including video lectures, quizzes, and programming assignments....

RB

Aug 04, 2020

This course will provide all basic information of android and it will also help you to understand the fundamental of java which is used in android. It really help me to improve my skills in android.

SP

Nov 17, 2019

Excellent !! As a beginner I found this course a major kick-start to building a strong base for my Android app skills. A lot of practice needed though, but these videos would keep me going well

26 - 50 of 645 Reviews for Java for Android

By Maria d l A T T

Jul 04, 2019

Excelente ! Muchas Gracias por estos cursos , Nos vemos en el mes 5 :D enserio es una plataforma super Amigable e importante para seguir aprendiendo :D y Gracias a los maestros y compañeros de la sección c: Saludos A todos & Felicitaciones !! a Coursera y todos

By Basant S

Jul 22, 2018

This course id really great, professors tried their best to teach all the concepts, all the concepts are explained very nicely, assignments are also great, learnt a great deal of knowledge. Had fun all the time, Thanks a lot for this course.

By Utku K

Jun 10, 2016

I watched the videos and made the assignments without submitting. I was a little bit familiar with Java and Android already, still there were a lot of things I learned, and there were a lot of confusions in my head clarified with this MOOC.

By Nirbhay K N

Jul 19, 2020

This course is very good and i recommend it to those who have little knowledge of android and want to learn concepts about it .This course is much for learning java and implementing it in your app . The course is less practical and more theoretical . Instructors are very good and course is well organized . It module assignment helped very much to implement the skills that we gained . I had experience of android but didn't had much knowledge of java . This course cleared all my doubt and built my concepts . I recommend it to everyone who want to build a strong base in java software development

By Athul S

May 01, 2020

This course is recommended for people who have a few knowledge of programming languages. Although this course isn't a beginner-friendly course, I found this course extremely helpful for deepening my knowledge in Java. The Instructors have done a wonderful job of making us understand things with real-life examples. Most of the questions asked in Discussion forums are answered either by the Instructors or by the Mentors. People who know Java can extend their knowledge and understanding by taking this course.

By Aness A

Sep 06, 2020

Excellent course with active course coordinators and superior course content! Massive respect to the staff in Vanderblit University! One point I would like to mention however is that the plagiarism in the course does degrade from students' experience, especially in the final project - please do look into making a quick video addressing the issue. Otherwise, the course genuinely is university quality and incredibly well structured, one of the best available online!

By K r

Jul 21, 2020

Very good course. The concepts of Java are explained in a clear and concise way. The course provides all necessary resources and I never found myself having to defect to any other site or a google search in need of any information. The use of Android Studio for the submissions was impressive and made our work very convenient. Thank you Vanderbilt University and all the instructors.

By Sweta S D

Jul 20, 2020

Best course I have taken so far on Android. Professor jerry Roth was very helpful and the assignments are really challenging ,like I do have experience in C++ and Data science but these assignments gave a whole new approach on how i see problems where finding a the solution is not enough but finding the most optimized solution counts. Looking forward to the rest of the MOOC

By Md U K

Aug 29, 2020

Loved it! This is the best course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of Java for Android Development. The instructors are fantastic. They go from the basic to intermediate level step by step that helped me grasp everything that I taught. Also, they are very responsive to forums to clear all our doubts, especially, Jerry Roth. In short, it was a commendable experience!

By Mukul S

The course was really good, even for beginners. The java concepts were explained properly and precisely. The assignments help you get hands-on practice, and are easy to complete within given amount of time. If you are eager to learn, and give sufficient amount of time; You could easily complete the course within few weeks.

By Ritabroto G

Jul 18, 2020

Very good course for people who have some basic programming knowledge.

And probably best suited as a refresher course for those who already have a basic working experience with android.

But I don't think this course will be too insightful to complete beginners, without taking help from external sources.

By SAYAN P

Aug 10, 2020

My experience had been really great. I had no prior knowledge of Java, and now I am able to code in it. The delivery of the lessons by the instructors is perfect. Everything is covered properly. And in the discussion forums, there is always engagement of the Mentors with the students.

By Devansh N

Jul 18, 2020

I was kinda good in Java and therefore I thought, I won't learn much through this course, but today when I have completed this course, I definitely have more knowledge in this domain. Thanks to the awesome professors at the Vanderbilt University, It was fun to have you guys.

By Md. F R

Jul 08, 2020

It was a really awesome course. I have cleared the basics of Java and moreover, I think, now I will be to create a mobile application with greater comfort as I have cleared the basics of Java. Thank a lot to Vanderbilt University Team and the respectable professors.

By Shakir m

Jul 14, 2020

The course provides great content and is perfect for the ones who want to develop android apps.It starts from basic concepts of java and then swiftly moves towards more advanced features of java.Overall it was a great course to start with.

By Shaik M R

Jul 26, 2017

The course content is good and clear. Quiz assignments are really improving the knowledge. The only thing is one has to be dedicated and spend the time on this course to gain maximum outcomes. Android studio demonstration is good.

By Hiramary M

Feb 13, 2017

Excellent course, it helped me reinforce my Java knowledge and learn the basis of Android development through many specialized tasks which I completed easily thanks to the hight quality professors and very detailed lessons.

By Manish K

Jun 05, 2020

Nice course, specially when you have some good programming knowledge and want to dive into the world of java programming and android development.

Thanks to all the teachers in this MOOC for helping us throughout the course.

By Harshal

Sep 18, 2017

Amazing course. Learnt a lot from it. The teachers did a great job. It was actually better than sitting in a class because we rewind the stuff and the weekly assignments were great to test your skills. Thank you Coursera.

By Robert R

Jul 13, 2017

Great job with this course, I have quite a bit of experience in Java but I learned some very important things that I hadn't had the chance to go over during my Java programming so far. Thanks a lot to the whole team!

By CHANDRA N G

Well designed course for beginners. Especially love the bite sized lessons and assignments that make you think a bit. The peer review exercise is a great initiative and helps us learn better styles of propgramming.

By Melnyk M

Apr 21, 2020

This course is great! Many important topics are covered, such as OOP principles. However I would not recommend it for beginners. I had some experience in programming and I know that there are many challenging task.

By Даниэль Ю М

Jun 24, 2020

The course is a good introduction to java, android studio and object oriented programming

It is very good for beginners, but parts can be quiet boring if you are already experienced in some programming language

By Muhammad T

Jun 11, 2020

The course was interacting and interesting, it increased my knowledge of understanding JAVA. The instructors successfully delivered the lessons. Looking forward to take the remaining courses of specialization.

By Sakib H

Jun 27, 2018

The whole Course was quite interesting and I've learnt a lot throughout this course . Course is easy and understandable as well as it's contents and graded materials are well organized. Worth completing it.