Back to Java for Android

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java for Android by Vanderbilt University

This MOOC teaches you how to program core features and classes from the Java programming language that are used in Android, which is the dominant platform for developing and deploying mobile device apps. In particular, this MOOC covers key Java programming language features that control the flow of execution through an app (such as Java’s various looping constructs and conditional statements), enable access to structured data (such as Java's built-in arrays and common classes in the Java Collections Framework, such as ArrayList and HashMap), group related operations and data into classes and interfaces (such as Java's primitive and user-defined types, fields, methods, generic parameters, and exceptions), customize the behavior of existing classes via inheritance and polymorphism (such as subclassing and overriding virtual methods). Learners will apply these Java features in the context of core Android components (such as Activities and basic UI elements) by applying common tools (such as Android Studio) needed to develop Java programs and useful Android apps. Learners will work on several hands-on projects throughout the MOOC, i.e., each week will require learners to write solutions to programming assignments that reinforce the material covered in the lecture videos. There will be roughly 4-6 hours of student engagement time per week, including video lectures, quizzes, and programming assignments....

SV

Jun 28, 2018

Excellent !! As a beginner I found this course a major kick-start to building a strong base for my Android app skills. A lot of practice needed though, but these videos would keep me going well

SP

Nov 17, 2019

26 - 50 of 474 Reviews for Java for Android

By Syed R M

May 16, 2016

I am relatively experienced programmer trying to just understand the Android app development framework and solve some interesting challenges along the way. I feel the course, was very painstaking in terms of code reviewing other people's work.

If I were to break up the time I spent doing the course work, it would be as follows:

30 % useful work

70 % taking care of course logistics (code review, writing comments on every line of code just so that people being asked to review my work are happy). Why do we have to do so many code reviews? Not every assignment requires people's coding style to be evaluated. It places an unnecessary time burden on people who are taking this course not as full time student. Its also reducing the total amount of knowledge that is being disseminated. We should be learning about Android for 4 more hours rather than reviewing code for other people for 4 more hours.

The thing I found most frustrating is that the assignments are trying to force a particular coding style on everyone. Since I am an experienced programmer, I understand the importance of coding style, creating functions and all that. However, how I structure my code and how many comments I write are entirely my choice.

Now, while I understand that the course material itself does not ask you to structure code one way or another; the review guidelines that are being given to some very inexperienced programmers, makes them believe that this is the only way things should be done. Its a subtle form of style enforcement which I did not appreciate.

By Athul S

May 01, 2020

This course is recommended for people who have a few knowledge of programming languages. Although this course isn't a beginner-friendly course, I found this course extremely helpful for deepening my knowledge in Java. The Instructors have done a wonderful job of making us understand things with real-life examples. Most of the questions asked in Discussion forums are answered either by the Instructors or by the Mentors. People who know Java can extend their knowledge and understanding by taking this course.

By Mukul S

The course was really good, even for beginners. The java concepts were explained properly and precisely. The assignments help you get hands-on practice, and are easy to complete within given amount of time. If you are eager to learn, and give sufficient amount of time; You could easily complete the course within few weeks.

By Shaik M R

Jul 26, 2017

The course content is good and clear. Quiz assignments are really improving the knowledge. The only thing is one has to be dedicated and spend the time on this course to gain maximum outcomes. Android studio demonstration is good.

By Hiramary M

Feb 13, 2017

Excellent course, it helped me reinforce my Java knowledge and learn the basis of Android development through many specialized tasks which I completed easily thanks to the hight quality professors and very detailed lessons.

By Manish K

Jun 05, 2020

Nice course, specially when you have some good programming knowledge and want to dive into the world of java programming and android development.

Thanks to all the teachers in this MOOC for helping us throughout the course.

By Harshal

Sep 18, 2017

Amazing course. Learnt a lot from it. The teachers did a great job. It was actually better than sitting in a class because we rewind the stuff and the weekly assignments were great to test your skills. Thank you Coursera.

By Robert R

Jul 13, 2017

Great job with this course, I have quite a bit of experience in Java but I learned some very important things that I hadn't had the chance to go over during my Java programming so far. Thanks a lot to the whole team!

By CHANDRA N G

Well designed course for beginners. Especially love the bite sized lessons and assignments that make you think a bit. The peer review exercise is a great initiative and helps us learn better styles of propgramming.

By Melnyk M

Apr 21, 2020

This course is great! Many important topics are covered, such as OOP principles. However I would not recommend it for beginners. I had some experience in programming and I know that there are many challenging task.

By Sakib H

Jun 27, 2018

The whole Course was quite interesting and I've learnt a lot throughout this course . Course is easy and understandable as well as it's contents and graded materials are well organized. Worth completing it.

By Maksim

Feb 13, 2017

a good course for a very beginner to learn android programing.it covers many useful aspects about java.and this course has demonstrated most of the idea of coding,so you won't get confused by its concept.

By Sujith K

Apr 29, 2020

Great course for someone who wants a java revision or just wanting to start. But i would like to see more of android studio lessons in future and there will be some issues faced as the it is not updated

By SACHIN K P

Nov 17, 2019

By Gaetano D

Nov 09, 2016

This Course is a Great One! I hope many peoples will improve their knowledge following Vanderbilt University's Courses because of the Professors Great explaining manner!

By James N

May 16, 2016

Java for Android was everything I expected. The lectures and assignments were very clear. The instructors and mentors were very helpful. I am looking forward to the next class.

By Karri S R

Jan 26, 2017

Excellent course.I learned a lot of things from this course. Thank you so much to Dr. Jerry Roth, Dr. Julie L. Johnson, Michael Walker & Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt for this course.

By Jayesh P

Great Course, very well managed and segregated module-wise. Thank you so much to Dr. Jerry Roth, Dr. Julie L. Johnson, Michael Walker & Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt for this course!

By Matthew R

Apr 21, 2017

Excellent pace to review Java. I have dabbled in Java for over a decade, but this course gave me a formal footing esp regarding the strengths of inheritance vs. polymorphism.

By Brian E

Sep 18, 2016

This is a great overview of the Java programming language as far as I can tell. I have prior Java experience and I was interested in Android specific aspects of the language.

By kirti k

Oct 23, 2017

Learnt a lot and peer review is really helpful to know your positive and negative aspects of coding standards ..

Enjoying a lot ,,

Hoping android will be more interesting

By Mehmet A M

Jan 15, 2020

If you really new in Java you can start with this course. The Android part should be updated though. The assignments make use of old versions of Android Studio plugins

By Abdul W

Nov 06, 2019

I really loved the content of this MOOC. The teachers are very hard working and covered a very good amount of concepts in Java. I would highly recommend this course.

By Nathan H A

Oct 08, 2019

This course focuses on Java implementation and OOP concepts. You will also learn how to configure Android studio and run your simple applications a virtual device.

By Jing Z

Oct 18, 2016

Recommend this course for people with some coding background. For those never code before, going through this course in 4 weeks can be a very challenging journey.