Back to Java for Android

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java for Android by Vanderbilt University

This MOOC teaches you how to program core features and classes from the Java programming language that are used in Android, which is the dominant platform for developing and deploying mobile device apps. In particular, this MOOC covers key Java programming language features that control the flow of execution through an app (such as Java’s various looping constructs and conditional statements), enable access to structured data (such as Java's built-in arrays and common classes in the Java Collections Framework, such as ArrayList and HashMap), group related operations and data into classes and interfaces (such as Java's primitive and user-defined types, fields, methods, generic parameters, and exceptions), customize the behavior of existing classes via inheritance and polymorphism (such as subclassing and overriding virtual methods). Learners will apply these Java features in the context of core Android components (such as Activities and basic UI elements) by applying common tools (such as Android Studio) needed to develop Java programs and useful Android apps. Learners will work on several hands-on projects throughout the MOOC, i.e., each week will require learners to write solutions to programming assignments that reinforce the material covered in the lecture videos. There will be roughly 4-6 hours of student engagement time per week, including video lectures, quizzes, and programming assignments....

SV

Jun 28, 2018

Excellent !! As a beginner I found this course a major kick-start to building a strong base for my Android app skills. A lot of practice needed though, but these videos would keep me going well

AA

Jun 24, 2017

This course is very good to learn the basics of Java and how to write a Java code in a object oriented manner. Ths course helped me to learn how to write more efficient and scalable code.

51 - 75 of 330 Reviews for Java for Android

Jun 15, 2018

I learned a lot :)

By JYOTISHKA D

Jul 09, 2017

A good course for the basics related to Java for Android

By Usha S

May 25, 2017

It was very interesting to go learn what I already know:) through this course. I liked the way it is organized. I got a bit casual with the quizzes but was very serious with the programming assignments. Otherwise I should have secured 100%. But marks or grades aside, it was lovely being busy for the past 4 weeks. I look forward to completing the 2nd course in this Specialization pack.

All the instructors were very good. Thank you all so much.

By Ehtisham R

Sep 10, 2017

Fantastic course if you want to learn Java for Android

By Gustavo M

Dec 14, 2017

Excellent Lectures, Excellent Professors & Support

I'd have liked, for the final project, a much more challenging experience.

Thank you very much.

By Abomo A

May 31, 2016

very good introduction to java for android.

By Sucharitha V

Aug 02, 2017

The quizzes and assignments are well designed to strengthen the basic concepts. Good course to work upon Java basics.

By Selom A

Sep 19, 2017

This course is awesome. Exactly what I needed. Keep up the good work.

By William H

Aug 09, 2017

Excellent class. I took another Android programming series of classes. This first class covering Java used all Android Studio programming examples. This was better than having the programming examples Java based not using Android Studio. I learned so much more in this class.

By Michel-Ange C N

Oct 06, 2017

I am very happy to discover how java is used to create androide apps. This course is well designed to help us understand every basic knowledge relate to POO.

By Lay S O

May 18, 2016

Good course. First time enrolled course in Coursera. I really enjoyed it. Lots of quiz and weekly assignment kept me busy for 4 weeks. And because of these ( assignment due date), i really learned by forcing myself to complete all in time. Quite tough on week 3, and i watched the videos multiple times and google the subject in order to understand the contents. Take this course, and struggle for 4 weeks. Will not regret.

By Zahid

Jun 13, 2016

Very good. By far the best course of android.

By Domenico I

Apr 12, 2017

Great Course

By Anton L

May 11, 2016

Very nice course for beginners

By Shaik M R

Jul 26, 2017

The course content is good and clear. Quiz assignments are really improving the knowledge. The only thing is one has to be dedicated and spend the time on this course to gain maximum outcomes. Android studio demonstration is good.

By Trevor W

Apr 19, 2016

Al ot more challenging then i thought. Once i managed my time a bit better it was very engaging

By Marat B

May 02, 2016

This course is the best

By Shanon R

Sep 11, 2016

Really good course, even for someone who is not from the programming background.

By Chandan S

Sep 05, 2016

Grate Course content and very well explained.

By Karan B

Dec 11, 2016

Simply amazing

By Shahbaz Z

Jan 17, 2018

Great course , excellent teachers , got many things related to java for android. which help me to gain more skill in java .

By yasasvy

Dec 13, 2016

really very useful. i love this course