Back to Java Programming: Arrays, Lists, and Structured Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Arrays, Lists, and Structured Data by Duke University

Build on the software engineering skills you learned in “Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software” by learning new data structures. Use these data structures to build more complex programs that use Java’s object-oriented features. At the end of the course you will write an encryption program and a program to break your encryption algorithm. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Read and write data from/to files; 2. Solve problems involving data files; 3. Perform quantitative analyses of data (e.g., finding maximums, minimums, averages); 4. Store and manipulate data in an array or ArrayList; 5. Combine multiple classes to solve larger problems; 6. Use iterables and collections (including maps) in Java....

GB
Mar 29, 2017

Good and practical training approach to solve real worlds problems. Assignments and quizzes are quite challenging and interesting. Greatly motivates us towards programming and problem solving skills.

CT
Jul 19, 2018

The course was pretty challenging (and occasionally frustrating) for a novice programmer, but doable.\n\nI enjoyed the course, and came away with a greater understanding of computers and programming.

351 - 375 of 460 Reviews for Java Programming: Arrays, Lists, and Structured Data

By Hanqi Z

Apr 25, 2019

Useful course. Helped me gain a solid understanding of OO programming in Java, though I feel that the part where HashSet came up was too rushed (might want to reassure students that they will learn about why HashSet is faster when they learn about data structure in the future)

By Mark H

Jul 1, 2020

The mini-project was good. I didn't like that so much of the code was provided, as I wanted to have to figure it out myself. However, I see why this is necessary as the weeks go by, since issues with code will propagate into the following weeks if it wasn't provided.

By Jose U

May 18, 2017

I found this course particularly tough. I had to take it slow because of work and family and rather than 4 weeks it took me 4 months. But in the end I felt I got the intended knowledge.

Some sections are hard without knowledgeable mentors in the discussion forums.

By Konstantin

Jul 20, 2016

Thank you for the course. The professors explain things with great enthusiasm and artistry. The main topic of the course - breaking ciphers is very interesting for me. Because of this interest I was completely involved into the course.

Thank you again!

By Bryan Y

Dec 12, 2016

The amount of learning in this module is huge! If you have never worked with HashMaps and don't know what this is, you may spend quite a bit of time trying to understand. That time will probably be spent reading material external to the course.

By Utkarsh C

Its a great course! Assignments are really good and takes time. A bit lengthy and few things stretched out, apart from that a good course if you wanna practice and have time. learning content is less. Not for Beginners!

By Faizan S

Jun 17, 2020

Need sample code for mini project as sometimes it is difficult to understand what to do in assignments... Some functions code get complicated as to what our instructor wants us to do vs what we think is possible

By Doaa S M Y

Mar 30, 2020

this course It contains many new information about it, the difficult and difficult Java also, the duties need a lot of thinking and research, but all of this helps in a deeper understanding of the Java language

By Pawel D

Dec 13, 2015

The course is ok, but some lectures seems to be too slow paced, while the programming assignments tend to be difficult for a beginner programmer, since some issues are not covered in the lectures.

By Jaerong A

Sep 4, 2020

Learned a lot from the course, but the amount of programming assignment and number of Qs to complete the module (especially week2) was absurdly large. Could be split into separate sessions.

By Kipp M

Jan 22, 2019

Very difficult material in week 2. Took a lot of effort to get through, but was worth it. I am continuing to learn about Java and writing more fluid programs in this specialization.

By Zhu L

Aug 3, 2020

The cracking of Vigenere cipher requires some serious DFS and pruning.

I don't think that's quite achievable for a Java newbie.

Still, I had a great time with Python in this course.

By Difan G

Jan 5, 2020

Great course with clear level of difficulties laid out for each sub courses. But the course content jumped between cryptography and other materials making things hard to remember.

By Aditya G

It was my one of the best Java courses ever done.The course would have been much better if there was some more talk about different manipulation on the structures being taught.

By Goodwill T K

Dec 30, 2019

The assignments were not clear and I didn't know if i should go back and use my Caesar code to get some of the answers for the assignment. it would be nice to hint a bit more

By María V D

May 8, 2018

Maybe this course for me are the most difficult, but the teachers, the teaching method and the spirit of Coursera in the mate´s class are the best.

By Denis G

Mar 22, 2018

6th question in final quiz is really hard for non native english speakers. Please avoid questions with multiple selection and with lots of text.

By Darshan J

I really enjoyed and got some skills from this course but I think this course would need to take some more time and give deep knowledge.

By RADHIKA M

Jul 17, 2020

The course challenges your brain to use the Data Structures in different possible ways.

It's a good course to implement Data Structures.

By Joe S

Nov 25, 2018

Some concepts used in Week 2 were introduced/ explained in more detail in Week 3 so I struggled in Week 2 but Week 3 was a breeze.

By Dinesh K K

Jul 25, 2020

Week 3 and week 2 were almost same apart weblog stuff,

so I guess so more core topics can be added to week 3 to make it tougher.

By Chongjun H

Sep 29, 2017

Useful and helpful, a millstone in the specialization path, but not so preferable if you only enroll this single course.

By Dieter R

Nov 25, 2018

The final quiz has 3 difficult questions for which I could not find a good answer. Luckily my guesses were good enough.

By Zakir S

Jan 23, 2020

Good course but not much help is available to complete assignments and hints are not very helpful when taking quizzes

By Cyan C

Oct 9, 2017

Hope the mentor can be more responsive on forum, as the quiz is getting tougher and need more help on it