Back to Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software by Duke University

Learn to code in Java and improve your programming and problem-solving skills. You will learn to design algorithms as well as develop and debug programs. Using custom open-source classes, you will write programs that access and transform images, websites, and other types of data. At the end of the course you will build a program that determines the popularity of different baby names in the US over time by analyzing comma separated value (CSV) files. After completing this course you will be able to: 1. Edit, compile, and run a Java program; 2. Use conditionals and loops in a Java program; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug a Java program using the scientific method; 5. Write a Java method to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods....

FA

Oct 08, 2017

Excellent explanations and amount of course work for practice, the tests made good use of the examples and work given, I am satisfied with what I learned in this course and see it's real world usage.

VM

Oct 16, 2019

This is an Awesome Course . The best thing About this Course is that It has weekly quizzes and Assignments as well as Practice Quizzes for particular Topics which helps in learning it more easily .

76 - 100 of 1,012 Reviews for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

By Chitraank S

May 16, 2020

I won't suggest a complete beginner to start right away from this but the once who have brushed their concept shall take this to develop a broader thinking process and a better understanding of the best level applications taught in this subject. Trust me you will learn a lot if you know all basic syntax and methods. Specially STRINGS IN JAVA ;)

By Abdul M A K

Jun 28, 2017

One of the best and hardest course. But worth the effort. each drop of "sweat" on this course was spot on.

The only drawback was the non availability of test cases and lack of mentors in the course. The test cases ar really important for an amateur programmer.

The first Java course had excellent moderators but this course unfortunately didnot.

By Simone M

Aug 02, 2020

Very good course if you want to start programming, it gives a lot of good foundation for programming good code. In this course there's nothing that involves Object Oriented Programming, it's basic. You will study programming foundamentals and how to work with data.

The course is really good! Teachers are awesome and it's very well organized.

By Muhammad F B J

Well designed with great problem solving questions set to help develop algorithmic thinking! However, some of the problems may seem a bit too difficult for beginners. Personally I have some programming knowledge, hence making it easier. Nevertheless I wont say it's impossible for those with zero knowledge. With perseverance anyone can do it!

By lavanya t

Jun 27, 2019

A really interesting course. Well structured course curriculum and well framed quizzes and assignments. A bit higher than the beginner level but the discussion forums helped me get through. I would really recommend this to all the beginners as it has an offers an amazing opportunity to get aware of the scope and usage of programming.

By Meher G

I didn't use to like coding much, to be frank. I hated it. This course made me understand code and also how to write code. Once I realized it, I am starting to like it. I find it interesting on how to create algorithms and run those. This course was beneficial to me. Now, I will go ahead and will complete the rest of this course.

By Kostakiotis N

Sep 01, 2016

It's a very good introductory course that I will definitely suggest to anyone who wants to start over. The videos and especially the programming assignments are wonderful. But if you don't pay for a certificate you will not be able to participate in the module quizzes, a bit frustrating when you put a serious amount of effort.

By Maruf H

Nov 29, 2017

It's a nice introduction to java course. I'm an intermediate level java programmer. It was a great course to review my java programming understanding. I learned a lot from the course. Instructors give real life example to teach programming. I like this methodology.

Beginners have to give extra effort to pass the course.

By Md. A

May 15, 2020

The course is good for software engineers to learn how to program and solve real world problems using Java. The practical exercises are good for hands on learning. My only complains is about the IDE used for development. BlueJ, it has no Intellisense or auto completion support which is necessary for faster coding.

By Hans E G

Oct 05, 2017

A well taught course, the videos are great, but some assignments take way more time to complete than the 10 minutes assigned to it. Some of the steps in the assignments may be misinterpreted or just aren't specific enough. I found the gray scale assignment to be most enjoyable and fun to write and test.

By Khaidem S S

Oct 17, 2018

Great course for a low price but the contents of the course can be improved by giving more examples as the software we used here is a bit duke university software. I am surprised that I had to use duke university libraries which gave me a bit of discomfort since I was used to the open source libraries.

By Alisa F

Feb 10, 2020

The course is great and really makes you think. The only negative side of it is that the programming environment is confusing and not the type I am used to. I think that other environments like Eclipse are better for beginners and really self-explanatory, but that is just my opinion. Great experience!

By Ahmed M A

Jun 30, 2020

I came here after finishing the "Python for every body Specialization", Still this was a challenging course. You will need to read the documentation A LOT.

My advice is to never come here if this is your first programming language. Learn something easier or join an easier course then come back here.

By Vaibhav S

Jul 05, 2019

This course helped me in gaining some really valuable and essential programming skills that are very essential for an industry ready software engineer. I'm deeply thankful to Coursera and Duke University Professors, who have devoted significant time and resources in creating this awesome content.

By Ritesh K

Jun 08, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Week 2 was the most onerous week, and there were moments that I felt I would not be able to complete this in a timely manner. It would help to know which week is the most arduous so one can pace themselves better. Great material though, and look forward to more!

By MADHUSUDHAN D

May 26, 2019

it could not be more great!!!. it totally wonderful how they teach things in simpler forum and they make you enough capable to solve all assignments on your own. forum is so useful during throughout this course. every query of yours get solve there. Simply amazed thnku so much coursera.

By Hariharan K

Apr 22, 2020

Excellent teachers who teach each and every concept in a easy to understand matter. The practice challenges and quizzes were prepared in such a manner that the candidate's understanding is tested. I would highly recommend this course for both beginners and intermediate learners.

By Mohamed E G

Sep 11, 2016

this is the best course i have ever took on programming, it's prepare students to solve problems using any programming language.

thanks for the professors at duke for crafting this course, great tutorials, quizzes

it's really better than the first course in this specialization

By Ying B

Dec 08, 2018

I love this subject because it is all about practice!! It led me in steady steps to build programs, algorithms and small projects from scratch. By making mistakes in these real problems, I learned faster than before when I relied on simply reading books about Java by myself.

By Anant S

May 22, 2020

For anyone who wants to be a software engineer. This is the first step or course one should take. Good Course with excellent professors and learning material. The assignments were easy but very helpful in understanding how computer code helps in solving real world problems.

By Iman R M

Aug 29, 2017

The course get you further to understand programming concepts. It was well organized and programming assignments were very beneficial to make you get the explained ideas. It's suitable for someone wants to learn programming concepts even with previous coding experience.

By Aiswarya V

Jul 11, 2019

I have started with basics of java programming but now i have gained more skills and get used to work with csv files , image files and learned using resource classes.. I strongly recommend this course to people who are willing to learn applications of java programming.

By Adam A

Apr 15, 2020

I think this was a great class. All the instructors were great, and the code was presented clearly. I like how the code the instructors wrote was written in real time, and it was helpful when they made mistakes so as the student, I can see what were common errors.

By Camille C

Sep 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. Everything is well explained and there are plenty of exercises to practice as you go along. Personally, it made me work a little every day, which allowed me to practice Java and learn more easily. Thanks to the Duke University team.

By Nathan T

Dec 21, 2018

This was my first foray into Java and made for a hard start, but the feeling of competence I now possess in the language made it all worth while. The only thing to know beforehand is that you will have to rely mostly on peer mentoring when stuck with a problem.