Back to Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software by Duke University

Learn to code in Java and improve your programming and problem-solving skills. You will learn to design algorithms as well as develop and debug programs. Using custom open-source classes, you will write programs that access and transform images, websites, and other types of data. At the end of the course you will build a program that determines the popularity of different baby names in the US over time by analyzing comma separated value (CSV) files. After completing this course you will be able to: 1. Edit, compile, and run a Java program; 2. Use conditionals and loops in a Java program; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug a Java program using the scientific method; 5. Write a Java method to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods....

FA

Oct 08, 2017

Excellent explanations and amount of course work for practice, the tests made good use of the examples and work given, I am satisfied with what I learned in this course and see it's real world usage.

VM

Oct 16, 2019

This is an Awesome Course . The best thing About this Course is that It has weekly quizzes and Assignments as well as Practice Quizzes for particular Topics which helps in learning it more easily .

1051 - 1075 of 1,129 Reviews for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

By Chintan

Oct 28, 2015

Need to show more stuff on Java instead of focusing on using BlueJ and stuff.

By Roberto F M

Jul 05, 2020

It is not programmed in Java, java libraries are used to solve problems.

By WADDAH R A

Sep 25, 2020

good content but the explanation could have been more simple and easier

By Aarush M

Apr 01, 2020

A good course for beginners, teaching you everything there is to know!

By Rajneesh m

Jul 16, 2020

file resource maximally show can not access data. it so irritating

By Obiomachukwu A C

Feb 12, 2020

The BlueJ compiler is highly problematic but the course was okay.

By Alessandro

Jul 21, 2017

You should have some Java skills before to do this course

By Yvon G

Apr 17, 2020

I think more guides in Assignments would be ok.

By Mohammad M S

Jul 26, 2020

I like theroy portino but not practical.

By Lungu C

Jan 19, 2017

A bit complicated for a beginner.

By vedansh s

Mar 16, 2017

Its a good course for beginners

By Belinsky A

Jun 28, 2018

Slow pace and long dialogues.

By Chiara T

Absolutely not for beginners

By Charles B

May 19, 2017

Week 2 needs to be fixed.

By Kapil R

Jun 26, 2020

The course was good .

By DELA C J K (

Jan 12, 2020

Too hard

By Bruno Z

Apr 26, 2020

So far I am fairly disappointed with this course, it spends too much time on such simple concepts and skips over the really important ones. I was hoping for more of a 'university' level quality class, and instead I find myself listing to the instructors talk about subjects that are hardly related to what the quiz and lab work content will be, and when the time comes to work on the lab and quiz portions of the class, I find myself not knowing what they are asking and having to do my own research to try to figure out the answers as opposed to feeling that I at least was 'taught' the material in preparation for the quiz or lab.

By lee h

Mar 13, 2018

Video instructors are knowledgeable, and I like the challenge of the assignments. But I recently got stuck on an assignment and went to the discussion forum for help. No response from any of the moderators or peers. Plus the codesnippet tool to post code to the forum is absolute crap. Will not format any code even if it is written in line by line. I have been fruitless trying to search for help outside of this course so far as well.

Lots of wasted time.

I really want to finish the class, but I doubt I will ever waste my money on these Duke\Java classes again. I will go elsewhere.

By Thao L Q P

May 23, 2020

I completed the course. However, without my husband's help (who is a senior software engineer), I'm sure that I could have not. This course is surely not for a beginner. Though I had taken a C++ course in a community college before, I still found this course is so hard. Each lesson seems short, simple and easy to understand, but the assignments (Reading and quizzes) are crazy with very little reference document and clear instruction. Most of the time, I spent around 5 hours for each such assignment, not 10 minutes as it is allocated.

By ADAM B

Mar 10, 2020

The lecturers go in to loads of depth, which is great. Instead of having smaller assignments though, I think there were 2 quizzes so far for me and then an assignment testing every single thing so far. When you're learning, you need to be able to chew away at it gradually and not have everything lumped on you in one go. It definitely is not for beginners. The concepts alone are at beginner level, but you will need prior coding experience to be able to follow it properly.

By Fardin A A

May 01, 2020

The course is good to learn how to solve problems with programming. The course instructors are also very good and understandable. But to learn java specifically, I wouldn't suggest this course to anyone because this course is totally based on the user defined functions that are provided by Duke University. And can't be used in other IDEs than BlueJ. So, it's more like learning how to use their functions than learning actual Java library.

By Felicia K

Oct 27, 2015

Could not get through the first week. Way too much emphasis on BlueJ and Duke University specific libraries. I I already have a decent foundation in coding and took the course with the idea I could get a refresher on Java. If your a beginner there are way better courses out there. This course is all over the place and I could see it being confusing for someone just picking up programming.

By Arseniy M

Aug 10, 2020

Very hard. Not much help and poor explanation. Every professor uses their own little tricks and methods so the material does not flow well together. It seems like they assume that you remember every single concept from the start and don't give any useful tips on how to proceed about the learning experiences. This ended up taking way more time than it said on the schedule.

By José F G C

Jun 11, 2020

In an online course you cannot expect us to learn only by the practise without a little of theory. In the assigments you incorporated things we didn't know and you explained a few there but it is not enough. Here we don't have a regular following like in a real course so we have to learn everything by the theory and only put in practise that we learnt there.

By Rick P

Oct 25, 2017

The data set in the genome studies was too large for mine - and judging by the forums - others computers memory to compile. Which made some of the exercises/tests very difficult to complete. Also, a few of the tests seemed to have at best unclear questions and at worst plain wrong. &-: