Back to Kotlin for Java Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Kotlin for Java Developers by JetBrains

The Kotlin programming language is a modern language that gives you more power for your everyday tasks. Kotlin is concise, safe, pragmatic, and focused on interoperability with Java code. It can be used almost everywhere Java is used today: for server-side development, Android apps, and much more. Kotlin is 100% compatible with all existing Java frameworks, and has good tooling support. It’s a pragmatic language with a very low learning curve, and can be quickly grasped by Java developers. Kotlin code might be compiled not only to JVM bytecode but to JavaScript and Native code as well, but this course is focused on Kotlin/JVM. This course aims to share with you the power and the beauty of Kotlin. We'll have a basic overview of the language, as well as a discussion of many corner cases, especially concerning Java interoperability. The course is based on your Java experience; it shows the similarities between the two languages and focuses on what's going to be different. Note that this course won't cover the programming fundamentals. We'll discuss: basic syntax, nullability, functional programming with Kotlin, object-oriented programming with Kotlin, the power of the Kotlin standard library, and Java interoperability....

MA
Jun 28, 2019

Excellent course, packed with relevant content and useful hands on Kotlin exercises with great feedback based on Coursera provided unit tests. Looking forward to more Coursera courses from JetBrains.

SY
Feb 10, 2019

This course is a very comprehensive and detailed introduction to Kotlin. However, it would be even better if it could include the generics part which is the most difficult but quite frequently used.

76 - 100 of 399 Reviews for Kotlin for Java Developers

By Sanjit K S

Jul 19, 2021

This is a very informative course which provides very elaborated understanding of Kotlin language as well as the exercises test the algorithm/logical understanding. Thank you for providing the good contents at one place.

By Parth J

Jun 25, 2020

Really helpful and in depth course about Kotlin. Brilliant explanation of Kotlin concepts against Java and why the design decisions were made. I feel I've read a book in a very fun way. Kudos to both the Instructors. :)

By Lorenzo T

Jul 22, 2019

Very good course. Useful and compsed by interesting videos that help the developer to understand and doing practise with this new programming language. I advice you this course, if you want to start writing Kotlin code!

By Seyid A

Dec 14, 2019

Very good course for Java Developers with lots of examples, easy explanations and interesting assignments. After finishing the course, I feel like I have a good knowledge of Kotlin and can use it in future projects.

By Susanta M

Sep 28, 2020

I enjoyed the course. The learning videos have covered the topics very well. The most interesting parts are the in-video problems.

I liked everything in this video and learned a lot. Many thanks to Svetlana Isakova.

By Shubham M

Sep 13, 2020

Helped me learn basics easily and the course is segreated quite neatly for proper understanding.

Assignments were the best part of thid course, a bit lengthy but were great to learn the fundamentals to the point.

By Fabio M

Dec 7, 2020

Very good content here. I was already familiar with some aspects of the language, but there was a lot to learn. I enjoyed the assignments, quite challenging and very well thought. Can't wait for the next course..

By Антон А

Oct 21, 2019

Thanks very much, Svetlana and Andrey for that course!

It would be useful to add video solutions for the last task at week 5 to compare my implementation with one of the possible solutions proposed by the teacher

By Val M

Jul 22, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. It's a very good introduction to Kotlin for those who is coming from Java. I will wait for the next, more advanced course (ideally covering coroutines, flows, arrow library etc.)

By Jared P

May 7, 2020

Clear visuals and explanations. Would not recommend to anyone who isn't decently familiar with Java. The integration with IntelliJ IDEA has some flaws but it is a lot nicer than having no integration at all

By Елецкий Д В

Oct 18, 2020

Отличный курс! Задачи заставили реально подумать и попотеть. Благодаря курсу, я стал лучше чувствовать смысл функционального программирования и, естественно, разбираться в работе языка Kotlin :)

By Aleksei C

Mar 16, 2020

Thanks JetBrains team, the course is as great as all the things that you do!

Now I am going to visit Kotlin island (Kronstadt) to see lighthouse on your logo (I leave nearby in Saint-Petersburg).

By Muhammad F

Oct 28, 2019

The course was very well organized. The instructor clearly explained not only the language features but also how they work under the hood. Thanks a lot, Coursera for giving me this opportunity.

By Nebojsa V

Dec 28, 2018

This course is a great way for learning Kotlin. Although I've been using the language for almost 2 years now, still there were some new things that I've learned/re-learned from this course.

By Alberto V

Jun 12, 2020

Great work, now i can understand a lot of concepts that i didn't understand before, the course is clear and very well explain with enough examples to reafirm the concept exposed, good job

By Carlos A

Aug 8, 2020

Great course. I thought it was going to be a basic course and it ended being harder, in a good way! Thanks Svetlana and Andrey for putting together this course, and of course JetBrains

By Herman P

Jan 28, 2019

I learned a lot of things!!! despite I have been using kotlin in my work. The materials and explanations are really good. One of the best courses I've taken in Coursera definitely!!!

By Andrew G

Jul 12, 2019

Great assignments and quizzes to go along with videos. More in-depth than any other Kotlin course I have taken with showing best practices and reasons to prefer certain patterns.

By Adam S

Sep 17, 2019

Nice introduction to Kotlin language with all its crucial features. I'd be happy if I wasn't so busy and had more time for homeworks :-) Otherwise one week is sufficient.

By Luis M

Apr 11, 2021

A great course that covers perfectly the kotlin base for java developers. I was pretty excited through the whole course because it was very interesting and well teached.

By Yolgie

Jun 25, 2020

Awesome course, content is well prepared & structured. Dialect is a little heavy sometimes and transcription could be better, but all together a really nice course!

By Giacomo C

Jul 18, 2020

Very good course. Well organized and structured. The assignments are not always trivial and some IDE problem can happen, but at the end they are useful to learn.

By Mohammad J

I would like to thank #JetBrain #Coursera and faculties whose give me opportunity to learn Kotlin, here I learn lots of new thing which are very helpful for me.

By Alibek B

Aug 20, 2020

Really helpful course and good instructors. Only one problem-its deadlines. Well done! I can advice this course for people who have a medium knowledge of java!

By Devanshu V

Apr 20, 2020

Greatly taught by svetlana and andrey project lead. This course go thoroughly concept wise which makes this course a high quality learning material for kotlin.