Back to Kotlin for Java Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Kotlin for Java Developers by JetBrains

The Kotlin programming language is a modern language that gives you more power for your everyday tasks. Kotlin is concise, safe, pragmatic, and focused on interoperability with Java code. It can be used almost everywhere Java is used today: for server-side development, Android apps, and much more. Kotlin is 100% compatible with all existing Java frameworks, and has good tooling support. It’s a pragmatic language with a very low learning curve, and can be quickly grasped by Java developers. Kotlin code might be compiled not only to JVM bytecode but to JavaScript and Native code as well, but this course is focused on Kotlin/JVM. This course aims to share with you the power and the beauty of Kotlin. We'll have a basic overview of the language, as well as a discussion of many corner cases, especially concerning Java interoperability. The course is based on your Java experience; it shows the similarities between the two languages and focuses on what's going to be different. Note that this course won't cover the programming fundamentals. We'll discuss: basic syntax, nullability, functional programming with Kotlin, object-oriented programming with Kotlin, the power of the Kotlin standard library, and Java interoperability....

MA
Jun 28, 2019

Excellent course, packed with relevant content and useful hands on Kotlin exercises with great feedback based on Coursera provided unit tests. Looking forward to more Coursera courses from JetBrains.

SY
Feb 10, 2019

This course is a very comprehensive and detailed introduction to Kotlin. However, it would be even better if it could include the generics part which is the most difficult but quite frequently used.

76 - 100 of 338 Reviews for Kotlin for Java Developers

By Muhammad F

Oct 28, 2019

The course was very well organized. The instructor clearly explained not only the language features but also how they work under the hood. Thanks a lot, Coursera for giving me this opportunity.

By Nebojsa V

Dec 28, 2018

This course is a great way for learning Kotlin. Although I've been using the language for almost 2 years now, still there were some new things that I've learned/re-learned from this course.

By Alberto V

Jun 12, 2020

Great work, now i can understand a lot of concepts that i didn't understand before, the course is clear and very well explain with enough examples to reafirm the concept exposed, good job

By Carlos A

Aug 8, 2020

Great course. I thought it was going to be a basic course and it ended being harder, in a good way! Thanks Svetlana and Andrey for putting together this course, and of course JetBrains

By Herman P

Jan 28, 2019

I learned a lot of things!!! despite I have been using kotlin in my work. The materials and explanations are really good. One of the best courses I've taken in Coursera definitely!!!

By Andrew G

Jul 12, 2019

Great assignments and quizzes to go along with videos. More in-depth than any other Kotlin course I have taken with showing best practices and reasons to prefer certain patterns.

By Adam S

Sep 17, 2019

Nice introduction to Kotlin language with all its crucial features. I'd be happy if I wasn't so busy and had more time for homeworks :-) Otherwise one week is sufficient.

By Yolgie

Jun 25, 2020

Awesome course, content is well prepared & structured. Dialect is a little heavy sometimes and transcription could be better, but all together a really nice course!

By Giacomo C

Jul 18, 2020

Very good course. Well organized and structured. The assignments are not always trivial and some IDE problem can happen, but at the end they are useful to learn.

By Mohammad J

I would like to thank #JetBrain #Coursera and faculties whose give me opportunity to learn Kotlin, here I learn lots of new thing which are very helpful for me.

By Alibek B

Aug 20, 2020

Really helpful course and good instructors. Only one problem-its deadlines. Well done! I can advice this course for people who have a medium knowledge of java!

By Devanshu V

Apr 20, 2020

Greatly taught by svetlana and andrey project lead. This course go thoroughly concept wise which makes this course a high quality learning material for kotlin.

By Taiwo F

Sep 26, 2020

I really love this course. The assignment problems are very challenging. If you want to start Android development in Kotlin, I recommend this course for you.

By Jim Z

Dec 1, 2019

The course provides a very practical way to learn Kotlin. I think its coding practises and assignments are very challenging, but I have learnt a lot from it.

By Tomislav M

Feb 24, 2020

Very nice course with tasks which are challenging enough to properly test the understanding of Kotlin. I really enjoyed challenges in the end of every week.

By Prashant S

May 11, 2019

Good content and nice pace. Some problems took a while to solve but it was due to change on mindset between how i java program vs how you do it in kotlin.

By Gerson S

Sep 9, 2019

Great course, would be really nice incluse something about coroutines, or make a new course only with this topic. Looking forward for more great content.

By Nicole H

May 9, 2020

Thanks for the great course. The only thing I would change, was a native speaker. I found it sometimes hard to understand what Svetlana Isakova said.

By Skye S

Jul 28, 2020

This course was phenomenal. It was perfectly well explained and helped me to transition nearly all my prior Java knowledge to Kotlin within a week.

By Elijah R

May 21, 2019

The course content covers why we choose some functions over others, in such a clear manner, and also offers exciting programming problems to solve.

By Gyorgy A

Dec 3, 2018

Excellent course, thanks! Clean explanations, right to the point, good for java developers looking for a modern approach. Thanks for both teachers!

By Sunny G

Great course for people who wants to learn kotlin . The instructors were really good and exercises help you to test your learning side by side

By Óscar G

Jan 30, 2020

Essential course to start developing using Kotlin. Even if you already have experience, it helps consolidate concepts and avoid bad practices.

By Andrew W

Sep 9, 2019

Very good course. I hope they will follow up with more advanced courses AND in the meantime, give ideas/links/references for further study!

By Sergio F F

Nov 29, 2020

Awesome course which explains the basics but diving into the purpose of each feature added and gives a clear view of how the language works