Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

AA
Jun 21, 2021

Interesting courses! I am learning a lot. Thank you very much Coursera. I have just completed course 2 and been delivered a certificate but I just can't access my new course. What should I do, please?

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

176 - 200 of 1,623 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Bayramov A

May 19, 2016

It has been a great experience for me. I have a broaden understanding of the theories and approaches of Second Language Acquisition. I am grateful to each member of the team who helped me to enjoy this course. Thanks Jessica, Dr. Shane and Dr. Justin.

By Eriwell R H

Jan 3, 2016

This course presents various methods to learners and teachers how English should be taught in an extremely effective manner. The videos are well prepared and each lesson has been provided a well structured lesson for all kinds of learners. Keep it up!

By Rachel M

Apr 2, 2019

Took me a long time to finished it but I really enjoyed the lessons and all the essential questions and assessments.

This course from Arizona University is really awesome and easy to follow and understand I will definitely continue with the program.

By Janet W

Sep 27, 2016

The whole course is well put together. Not only do they give you the theory behind teaching but also the tools need to do the job. I highly recommend these course for anyone looking to improve their teaching skills in TESOL or looking to teach it.

By Laura C

Apr 3, 2016

Loved the course but I had to work hard for the grade on this one. The videos were engaging (and fun, yes, fun), making a dry topic like history of ESL teaching a lot more palatable. Be prepared to work hard in this one but it's completely worth it.

By Deepti C

Jul 2, 2020

This is such an amazing experience. It makes me wonder how amazing would the live classes be.

Dr Shane is not just a great teacher but also a great actor :)

The roles played by him to teach are so effective that none can forget the content taught

By Rayyan B

I really loved this course especially the efforts that the teachers made into the costumes and coming up with ideas to make it more fun! Highly recommend it, it was very helpful, now i know which approaches i can apply in my teaching. Thank you!

By Josmar J F P

May 3, 2020

This is an awesome course! I've gotta say that even in the occasions where I thought the resources were too much they came to be pretty much the only way I had to remember what I had studied, if you enroll in this course you'll get what I mean!

By Simone M R

Oct 20, 2020

Eu aprendi muito neste módulo. Os vídeos e atividades propostas ao final de cada semana contribuem muito para o aprendizado dos conteúdos. Excelente curso! Recomendo a todos que desejam buscar um aperfeiçoamento no campo de ensino de idiomas.

By Nataliya

Feb 15, 2016

II found this course extremely useful and intersting because there is a professional content in a exciting artistic mode of study,that involves you in a process and gets a high motivation. Thanks a lot Dr Shane, Jessica and Dr. Justin. I wish

By Rasha A M

Aug 8, 2020

It was a great enjoyable course.I really enjoyed and understood methodology for the first time in my life. You are really brilliant educators and the idea of the time machine and the devil and the angel is really brilliant.Thanks a million.

By Olga G

Oct 30, 2018

I can describe this course as structured, balanced, fresh and easy to comprehend. Moreover, I feel like it brings me back to life ...

Fantastic teachers, who do know how to motivate - thank you!

I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Luis T

Feb 7, 2016

It's a quite helpful and useful course if you want to get familiar with the history of all the approaches related to teaching English as a Second Language. Also, it makes you realize how much we as teachers still use from those approaches.

By Maria P M G

Nov 5, 2019

This program has really helped me to understand how different we can teach English and how much it affects the way we transmit. A great course to strengthen communication and expand the vision toward our students and the world around us.

By Cassiano R

Loved every single minute of it. As a teacher for sixteen years, I’d never stopped to think of where my teaching approach comes from. It is amazing studying the history of teaching and seeing how it is applied now and developed so far.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 15, 2016

I am really happy with this course. I love it because it's interesting, it's designed to make students think and takes studying and learning to a completely different level. It makes me want to study and want more too. Great course!

By ARMAN D

May 12, 2020

It was excellent and well done! I have learned so many new things and i believe it would help me through my career and also maybe other careers which are not very related to English Teaching it is good for Teaching in general, too

By José D C M

Sep 18, 2020

This is a great course, if you want to improve your teaching skills, you are in the right place . I m so grateful for the opportunity to take it and to learn a lot about this necessary field as an English

Teacher. God bless you!

By Apivat H

May 23, 2017

Great overview and survey of the major theories and approaches to Second Language Acquisition. This module provides learners with a grounding in historical approaches and an understanding of predominant schools of thought in SLA.

By J V I S

May 8, 2019

Wonderful Course and the methodology employed to interestingly explain theoretical concepts was awesome. I like to record my special thanks and appreciation to both the Course instructors and very specially the Course designer.

By Jenny V J

Nov 25, 2020

I loved learning this course. Despite the limited time, the Professors were able to give us a clear content about the different language teaching approaches throughout history. The video presentations were fun and informative!

By Hannah D

May 11, 2019

Thank you so much for this course! I learned a lot and totally had fun with the material. Dr. Shane Dixon's stints were done so well that I can only wish to be at least half as good the teacher that he is. Good job to everyone!

By HANY A E M H A

Nov 9, 2017

a very good and powerful course . It is needed in many careers. The teachers are very professional and they have what you need . i enjoyed the class pretty much . i have gained a lot of information which helped me in my class .

By Julien B

May 23, 2017

Excellent course! I was a little put off by the sometimes "cheesy" time machine videos, but the information presented helped me refine and communicate my ESL teaching methodology. Much thanks to the team that put this together!

By Yakubovskyi O

Nov 30, 2020

Familiarity with the history of language approaches is required for a deep understanding of their own and current theory of teaching with the world practice of teaching on the basis of different language approaches over time.