Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

AJ
Dec 3, 2016

Great presentations on what language instruction approaches have looked like in the past and present. Each approach is discussed and evaluated so the "best of's" can be applied in your own teaching.

176 - 200 of 1,438 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Bacher R

Mar 19, 2018

It has been always so boring for me to study about theories of teaching and going back to history, till now! I never enjoyed studying an online course like this, and Dr Shane, You are a true inspiration of a Great teacher :)

By Kristin H

Oct 10, 2020

I enjoyed this historical journey of language learning theories. It was helpful to consider each of them objectively and evaluate their pros and cons. It is also interesting to read the varying perspectives of classmates.

By Abigail C

Oct 11, 2019

Loved the overview of teaching techniques and the fact that I have shared vocabulary and understanding of teaching techniques to use when discussing learning/teaching approaches with other similarly-certified instructors.

By Carlos J T S

Dec 30, 2018

The second part of this course gives the teacher a deep understanding of the different approaches that have been used throught time and allows teacher to apply these approaches effectively accordinf to the learners' need.

By Guillermo A M L

May 3, 2019

Excellent course! I understand a lot more about where the techniques we commonly use in teaching come from, and how we can improve our teaching style to get the most out of every student. This course really helped a lot.

By Paula G

Jun 10, 2019

I have learned so much from this course about the history of ESL. It has been fun and entertaining but, most of all, I know that it has provided me with the critical tools I will need to become a future ESL teacher.

By Oyku B

Feb 8, 2018

The content certainly sticks! MUD. The presentation is great, instructors are passionate about the course and the acting is memorable for the purposes of the content of the modules. It is also fairly challenging.

By Quek Y

Sep 21, 2020

fantastic. very well structured. it is made with love, you can tell :D Shane really makes a point of making the course interesting, with different costumes and role playing. A lot of thought went into this course.

By Maria F d O V

May 2, 2017

It gives a very wide panorama of how language learning has been seeing along the times. Above all it makes us to think critically about methodology and approach depending on the context we and the learners are in.

By Karen H

Dec 29, 2018

Great teachers that explain things so they are easily understandable. Pay attention to historical names for final assessment. Not really in notes. I really enjoy this program series to become TEFOL certified.

By summermermer

Jun 14, 2020

Theories of Second Language Acquisition can be so boring but the instructors are able to explain the matter in a very interesting way, and I can easily remember all the theories explained! Strongly recommended!

By James P

Feb 2, 2018

This course can teach you a lot, but it needs to be taken while creating or teaching a class. Also, this course must be immediately followed by the next one to build on your language/school teaching knowledge.

By Jody R

Oct 13, 2020

The 80/20 rule really helped me.

I also finished the first course, but because no one will review my submission (though I post every day on discussions), I can't get my certificate. This isn't a great process.

By Shahid H K

Oct 9, 2016

I had been gone through this marvelous course during previous months and found it very useful for teachers of second language, especially ones who are learning or teaching through grammar translation method.

By Angelica S B

Dec 11, 2015

This team is extremely gifted at being able to teach new concepts in a manner that is not only entertaining, but really helps you to remember the knowledge gained. They make learning a complete joy. Thank you.

By Arnaly A

Aug 18, 2018

Great course! It is entertaining and packed with information. It is easy to watch as the teachers took their time to design a course full of visual material, fun representations and great lectures. Thank you!

By kinberly v s

Apr 13, 2020

Wonderful course! It prepares you to define your techniques and teaching methods as well as your purpose.

Maravillosos curso. Te prepara para definir tus técnicas y métodos de enseñanza así como tu propósito.

By Elena M

Sep 9, 2020

Thank you so much for the course materials and information! I have learned a lot of things about different teaching approaches. The instructors explained the material in a very understandable and easy way!

By Marta A

Sep 5, 2020

This is an excellent overview of the benefits and shortcomings of different methodologies if SLA. They are explained in a clear, analytical way, which makes it easy to understand and remember. Great course!

By Delphine S

Jun 3, 2018

This is still by far the best Coursera course I have taken! Entertaining, easy to follow and relevant. I will unequivocally recommend this series to any who are interested in a career in teaching English.

By Kristina I

Apr 25, 2020

I really enjoyed the whole course and loved the historical aspect of it! Thank you so much, Coursera and Arizona State University, for allowing me to participate in it and possibly achieve my dream career.

By Renea T

Oct 31, 2017

I love this course. I have learned so much about the ESL classroom, and it has helped me in my approach to my own classroom as I teach abroad. I have grown as a teacher and plan to get my Masters in TESOL.

By Aytan G

Oct 17, 2020

Excellent course! I recommend ESL teacher to definitely join this course. The team is amazing and the content of the course has been designed in an interesting and engaging way. I enjoyed every bit of it.

By Diana M H

Sep 4, 2019

The course is really more than amazing, it will teach you 8 different teaching approaches in an amazing way .. I really learnt a lot, I am trying to apply many of the successful techniques i my classroom.

By Seema D

Jan 23, 2020

Fantastic content explained by excellent teachers at the convenience of time and place of my own. Dr. Dixon can surely make any lesson interesting and easy. Learning a lot from his personal style. Thanks