Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ

Jun 11, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

CS

May 15, 2017

All the theories are presented in an extremely organized way.\n\nThe dramatic representation has been rather memorable.\n\nSeeing myriad theories from the lens of time has helped my knowledge stick.

1151 - 1175 of 1,271 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Mammadov M S

Aug 09, 2018

nice

By Shwan A

Sep 13, 2017

Good

By Amadou A A

Mar 05, 2016

Feb 05, 2016

T

By Nadia S

Oct 15, 2016

This course provides me opportunity to teach my kids in effective way that is proved to be in line with research on learning second language. I rate it the best course in this regard and would like to say special thanks to Dr Shane Dixon and all his team. I felt my teaching skills are improved after completing this course but there is still space for improvement in final assessment, in my opinion, there should be a thorough understanding for the participants of the course on how this final assessment could be beneficial for them. However the overall impact can be expressed in a big Thanks.

By Aaron D

Apr 10, 2016

Good overview of the last 150 years of language teaching philosophy. The back-in-time and angel-and-devil skits were a little cheesy sometimes, but they helped to keep things interesting. More detail on some of the information presented would be nice, but it seems to be aimed at inexperienced teachers or people with native languages other than English, and so the level is kept fairly low.

Overall, a good introduction to the subject and enough information provided to launch into your own independent study of some of the concepts introduced.

By Frederick W M

Aug 07, 2019

The videos convey content clearly and in an engaging manner, equal to the Foundation class that I rated higher. But there are noticeably more errors in the English video transcripts, and PDFs cannot be uploaded when submitting work for peer review. I also felt there were too many questions requiring multiple answers, some of which were a bit of a stretch for me to include, although I appreciated that those tests would give partial credit when some of the multiple answers chosen were correct and others weren't.

By Kristine W

Apr 04, 2020

I thought the second course attempted to get a bit more creative with the videos. Yes, they're silly, but silly is more memorable, and it's a good example of how we as teachers can make the classroom more fun. The quizzes were actually challenging and the content was interesting. Some things that need to be fixed: when you miss a question on the quiz, it doesn't tell you the correct answer. And the peer graded assignments are still lacking rigor. Looking forward to the rest of the certificate.

By Bruce R

May 26, 2016

i found it entertaining and informative. It leaves room for discussion but has given me a non ESL teacher an interesting insight into the theories of Language Acquisition.

I am interested in the way one Teaching Discipline takes knowledge from another, repacks it and sells it under their School of Teaching in almost the same way the despicable H.R. industry relaunches every few years.

In summary a good section of the course well presented but i hate "Tests or Exams" :-(

By Kseniia S

Oct 03, 2016

to me as a total newby in the topic the content was really interesting

however, its presentation. well. I truly thank the teachers for bringing together the review of all the approaches. but the manner of presentation was so artificial I couldn't help thinking just - when will the real learning begin? without all the silly role plays?

again, thanks, I tearned a lot from the course. but I did also struggle through it because of the teachers' manner of presentation

By Natalia G

Dec 10, 2016

Much more useful than the first course. It was very interesting to see that methodology has a different approaach according to the purpose of the class that is not necessarily communication. Great experience Although I think that the questions for peer revision are so general aand vague that one is almost forced to give a good grade even if the assignment is just a re-telling of what was presented on the video, sometimes even word by word.

By Daniel Z

Jun 26, 2020

The transcripts for each video should be corrected and rewritten. There are misspelled words and incomplete sentences. The transcriber misheard many of the words.

All in all, I enjoyed the classes, videos and effort each instructor invested in the preparation of the material. I would like to mentor students and had submitted an application. I am waiting for a reply.

My plan is to complete the TESOL Certificate Course.

Thank you.

Dan Zimmerman

By Toyia B

Aug 28, 2019

Outside of all the technological issues I have been experiencing when trying to view the videos, I have still been able to thoroughly enjoy my course. I do not have a formal background in ESL, but I am definitely acquiring the technical skills that will enhance my skill set. Keep doing what you are doing. Oh and I love how you incorporated your dreams into your profession. You never gave up! Commendable!

By noura_albudaiwi@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 2016

It would really been helpful if you provided some readings for each approach. I could do outside readings but as you know you can find lots of readings which might be not useful for a beginner.

The final test was not close by to being easy even though I did study. Thank you for that and that's a good job giving us a challenge to look forward to.