Back to A Law Student's Toolkit

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Law Student's Toolkit by Yale University

Whether you are an advanced law student looking to review the basics, or an aspiring law student looking for head start, this course will help you build the foundation you will need to succeed in law school and beyond. This course will introduce you to terminology, concepts, and tools lawyers and legal academics use to make their arguments. It will help you follow these arguments—and make arguments of your own. This course consists of a series of short lectures and assignments. A reading list complements each lesson, providing you with a roadmap to help you explore the subject matter more deeply on your own. Although the lessons may cross-reference each other, they are modular in nature: you should feel free to approach them in whatever order fits your schedule, interests, and needs....

HK

Mar 29, 2016

I enjoyed this course but you really need to have some legal background to get the most out of it. The assignments were worth the time they took and I learned a lot trying to grade my fellow students.

CT

Oct 15, 2018

The course is gorgeous!!! Although I am an experienced lawyer in my country it was an excellent training for my brains, more over, the lectures were really very interesting!!! Strongly recommended!!!

1 - 25 of 291 Reviews for A Law Student's Toolkit

By Trevor W

Feb 12, 2018

I was lost from almost the beginning. I'm not sure if this is part 2 of a course or if this is meant for people who have already attended law school. I also found the swaying back and forth of the professor to be a bit distracting.

The reading material was WAY more than 10 minutes. I found myself spending an hour or two reading for each assignment. That was a little frustrating as the suggested reading time was listed as 10 minutes.

I'm attending law school in the fall and was hoping to get a primer. But this class definitely disappointed me. Perhaps I'll revise it after my first year is complete.

By C. m

Nov 12, 2018

Great teaching style, creates , incites a student to their potential, any person, even ones merely venturing into new, or unknown areas will broaden their perspective of their inherent heretofore unknown potentials. Literally anyone that takes this course is very lucky.

By Hilde K

Mar 29, 2016

By Joel A C

Jan 29, 2019

It covers enough that you will have a feel for if you will hate law or not. You learn far more from peer review than you would think. Everything is marked on time (though rarely too early, so do not stress about getting ahead, but also do not hand things in late - as marking happens as people hand in their own work usually.). Resubmitting option allows you to grapple with concepts, rather than cram memory.

And there is free financial advice at the end. Which is reasonable. It is in the outtakes, but worth a mention. It could be twice as long ans cover a few more concepts, but it is a great primer for anyone with no formal legal coursework under their belt.

By AHMED A K A

Mar 05, 2019

I think its a best course to those who want to study law and legal studies.

By Chumachenko T

Oct 15, 2018

By Kathy M

May 01, 2017

This course was required by my director, but it is not for those who have no background in law (which was the case for the group of us at CDC who were required to take this). It was very difficult to iuinderstand and I did not think it was a "beginner's course for no

By Xuan

Apr 23, 2020

I found this course extremely useful. It requires a lot of extra work; readings can be sometimes very long and dense, and I often had to pause and search for additional materials to help me better comprehend ideas and concepts covered in this class. However, this course introduced some of the most important ideas I can use in future legal studies. Highly recommend! Also, be sure to watch the bonus video!

By Bei W

Jul 12, 2016

It was a very good course. It was not only a legal course, but also a course concerned with economic thinking and logic thinking about what law is and why law is. I am a practicing lawyer. The course widen my eyes on legal matters and makes me think more deeply than before. It should be strongly recommend for legal students and legal professionals.

By Koen V E

Nov 28, 2017

Really interesting course, quite intense, especially in week 1. Good instructor who engages students (quite a feat for an online course) and encourages one to think about law in different ways.

By Paulo R V P

May 04, 2018

Excellent course to get an approach on what is studied in Law undergraduate courses in the USA.

By Vesna S

Nov 22, 2017

Not very satisfied. The course did not seem so well organized as others I attended, and the quizzes and tests were meaningless... I'd rather if the content were organized into six lessons, with optional peer-graded tasks, and a mandatory quiz at the end of the lesson, with an exhaustive final test. I may be traditionalist, but I really do not see the use of this.

By Michelle L

Although there is likely little Yale/Cousera can do about privacy and accountability within the Coursera platform, I hope to leave a brief note about the issue I encountered during the course.

After peer-grading the Substantive vs Procedural Law Assignment, I received a highly vulgar email from, I am assuming, an author who received a low grade from me. This was sent to my work email (michelle.liu@uwaterloo.ca), which is not associated to my Coursera account and not listed in my Coursera profile. I was under the impression that peer-review feedback would only be accompanied by the name of the reviewer and not their profile picture. This individual, I suspect, used my name in combination with my profile picture to seek out my identity and workplace information, which significantly impacted my otherwise pleasant experience with this course.

The individual used "Boss Blitzer" as the sender name, and signed the email content with the name "Frank Hassle," neither of which Coursera could trace to an enrolled student in the course. The email address the individual used was c0ke.steam@hotmail.ca, which was also untraceable.

I realize there is little you can do, but I hope this feedback can inform future changes of the Coursera platform, for Yale courses and in general.

By Ying X

Mar 19, 2017

this court is very compact......this professor usually put lots and lots of stuff into a FOUR MINUTES lecture, and for every of his lecture, you got like four HOURS of reading.....also the classmates of this course are like half academic pendant snobs in stating their opinion.....the benefit is they push you to come up with better and more convincing arguments.......it would be better if the professor don't speak like a robot or like reading from a prompter....

By Brian B

A challenging and insightful course. The only downside is that it had to end. Excellent professor with engaging videos, in-depth analysis, peer graded assignments and just a good overall course.

By Sanjana P

Aug 06, 2019

A very intriguing and challenging course. First week was intense but as the course progressed, it became easier to deal with while also becoming more and more interesting. Great course overall!

By Rick M G

Dec 15, 2016

Very useful information to get a glimpse of what's involved in law. His funny one-legged video at the end suggests too conservative of a trading and investing strategy for me, though.

By Nadhia G

Mar 16, 2018

This Toolkit has come very much in handy for my Paralegal Training, and other real life situations.

By Layssa I M S

Jul 25, 2019

This course was extremely interesting!I'm so grateful to Coursera and Yale

By Marc L

Wonderful Professor, he makes the Law interesting.

By Anant S

Sep 18, 2020

great

By Pallavi S

Jan 15, 2018

Very well structure course. It is impressive how such a vast variety of material was covered in such short time frame. Even though some parts of it were focused solely towards american jurisprudence, it was generalized enough for students from all jurisdictions to gain something out of. I do however wish there was a little more quiz type testing and a little less american jurisprudence related testing.

By Kratika V