Back to Leadership in 21st Century Organizations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Leadership in 21st Century Organizations by Copenhagen Business School

Meet Jim Barton, the new CEO of Santa Monica Aerospace. Jim's job won't be easy: the company's hemorrhaging cash, struggling to regain investors' trust after an accounting scandal, and striving to transform its culture to become a more global competitor. In this course, you’ll travel with Jim as he takes on leadership challenges ranging from strategy execution, to inspiring people, to maintaining an ethical approach. Experts agree that twentieth-century leadership practices are inadequate for the stormy twenty-first-century present. This provocative course equips you with the insights you'll need to rise with the occasion of a rapidly shifting business landscape. The course is based on a book, Harder Than I Thought: Adventures of a 21st Century Leader, by Robert D. Austin, Richard L. Nolan, and Shannon O'Donnell, published by Harvard Business Review Press. Purchase of the book is optional. If you want more information about the book or wish to buy it, see https://hbr.org/product/harder-than-i-thought-adventures-of-a-twenty-first/an/10332-HBK-ENG or http://www.amazon.com/Harder-Than-Thought-Adventures-Twenty-First/dp/1422162591 After taking the course, you'll be able to: o Enact your own personal leadership approach, derived from your ongoing evaluation of how Jim Barton has handled his leadership situation, as well as from established leadership concepts and frameworks; o Avoid leadership actions that might have worked in the past, but are not suited to a newly challenging 21st century world; o Navigate treacherous new 21st century leadership challenges, such as greater reliance on specialized workers or the need to respond to external scrutiny in an increasingly transparent world (and many more); o Avoid "slippery slope" ethical failures, and think more clearly about the separation between public and private life for a 21st century leader....

WS

Jun 19, 2020

Extremely insightfull and practical course,\n\nTouches on a number of aspects of leadership in today's world. I found the reading material very useful, sometimes voluminous but extremely relevant.

IB

Sep 13, 2019

This is a must-take course for anyone considering a position of leadership - even if you think you know everything, you WILL find yourself taking notes and reflecting a lot after each module.

26 - 50 of 221 Reviews for Leadership in 21st Century Organizations

By Mark R

Apr 30, 2020

I do not recommend this course, it is five years old, many of the links no longer work and many more link to sites that require payments. I flagged all such occasions and reached out to instructors but they never got back to me. Some materials are good, but on balance I believe there are better courses on the same subject. Course needs to be updated!

By Manuela R G

Jan 29, 2020

Not that 21st Century... Some of the materials are quite old and there is little "learning" and too much acting.. I'm not finding it helpful at all...

By Nahim G S C

Jan 12, 2017

One of the best courses I have done through Coursera; the content in particular was very useful.

By Diogo A

Jan 25, 2018

This course made my horizons get much bigger in how to lead and how to aproach leadership

By Ted D

Feb 18, 2016

The contents in this course are comprehensive, and up to date. The course was ran with a

By André R P

Aug 10, 2016

Exceptional content that approaches important aspects of leadership.

By SHAIK T

Jan 14, 2018

Very Structured. Awesome Course.

The best content i have ever seen

By pravin

Nov 16, 2017

Nice course to learn key points to good leader with good examples

By Jamie D

Aug 09, 2016

So much information in this course. Very useful and enlightening.

By Shibaji M

Nov 04, 2015

One of the very best Leadership course that I have ever done

By Rajiv S

Jul 20, 2017

Requires paid subscription to WSJ. This should be fixed.

By José d J D L C G

Apr 05, 2016

Excellent course and trainers, congratulations

By Alam M

Oct 24, 2016

Yet another great course from great professor

By Amalie K

Oct 03, 2015

Great course. Informative and fun.

By Aydin A

May 23, 2016

Upon the first few views of the subject material, presented in the form of dramatized episodes, I was skeptical if this course was worth its time. I was pleasantly surprised once we moved into motivation in the 21st century, and the course only improved from there (though the multiple long videos in the financial crisis module felt redundant). A meaningful course as long as you can engage yourself with the material rather than rely on their sub-par assignments and quizzes to engage you. I also, did not participate in any discussions, but perhaps if I had this course would have been rated 5 stars.

By Marcelle C

Apr 06, 2017

I think some of the content was a bit repetitive, and the time estimates of how long it will take to complete a section was way off (often the reading and videos in one section would actually take 3 hours when the entire module was supposed to take 3). Other than that, useful and insightful content. I learned a lot and I appreciated the video/ reading combination with the examples provided from several industries.

By Nagaraj P

Apr 11, 2020

It was an exceptional experience and learning ! My first course and was thrilled to do it. The learning I've got is immense. One bummer was many links like youtube and Wall street journal or either broken or expects us to subscribe. made it hard to pass the quiz. Overall Great Experience !

By John M

Jan 19, 2016

Modern and very relevant! Great course with great content. Cool and very realistic story line presented in videos. A few dead links that need to be addressed.

By Sandeep D

Jun 20, 2017

The course while is interesting, does tend to get a bit slow sometimes. I would rather have preferred more exercises rather than the reading(s) and the videos.

By Chris H

Apr 03, 2016

I found this course very useful. It allowed me to explore my own leadership style and to better appraise those in leadership positions I work with.

By Priya M M

Apr 19, 2020

I lived the way such a complex topic was taught using role play method. The only issue were the reading materials. Most of them did not open.

By Yusuf A

Aug 31, 2020

Not good as expected.

First of all WSJ articles are paid. You can not read without paid subscription and there are questions in quizzes from these articles.

Some of youtube videos are not reachable due to account is removed from youtube.

Also there are some websites or blogs that are not reachable too.

You should review the content health and I think you should host course content on your own site.

By Paul M

Jul 04, 2020

The course was ok but I felt it was a little dated in places and many of the links to resources were broken or were to paid subscription services. Overall it was worthwhile and enjoyable.

By adam w

Jun 11, 2020

The course had good material but it is poorly maintained, too many broken links and links to articles behind paywalls. Would not recommend paying for until they update the course, seems like they just created it and then left it.

By Steffen E

Aug 06, 2020

To be honest, I am deeply disappointed. I endured only half-way through Module 2. The course is more or less mistaking "Leadership" with basic managerial skills required from C-level industry leaders. It has nothing to do with advanced Leadership concepts taught in business schools around the globe. Mistaking one for the other is one of the fallacies of unsuccessful CEOs.

Many of the behaviours and actions shown in the videos would not have been compatible with the advanced industry leadership roles I held in the past. I am a CEO.

On a more practical note, I was a bit annoyed that some of the mandatory reading materials required a subscription to The Wall Street Journal. Whilst not expensive for the trial period it still a bit ...well, annoying.