Back to First Step Korean

Learner Reviews & Feedback for First Step Korean by Yonsei University

PW
May 27, 2021

useful course for fundamental learners. Everyone can take this course easily.\n\nthe instructor gives me good teaching and more information.\n\nI can basically talk to Korean after finished the class.

CS
Jan 6, 2018

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Antonellla P

Aug 16, 2020

Fue un muy buen curso, porque si bien, quizá no recuerde con exactitud todo lo aprendido, ahora tengo un mejor manejo auditivo en coreano, además de que ahora tengo una mayor posibilidad de entender que es lo que se dice, ya que puedo inferir algunas oraciones gracias a este curso.

Realmente estoy agradecida de esto, porque me ayuda de manera gratuita a tener un mayor nivel en el idioma, que probablemente me sirva hasta para mis estudios. Incluso, me sirvió para mejorar un poco mi inglés, ya que se lo básico (hablo español), pero pude entender bastante bien el curso.

Nuevamente, muchas gracias por su ayuda.

By Maria L A

Sep 6, 2020

It really is so easy but I need to listen to more conversations. I get lost when it is spoken but I can read the lectures. I get to understand when I read the lectures. I enjoyed learning Korean so much I just had to finish everything so I would know the point where it gets hard(er).

You were very understanding the way you made the quizzes easy for first time learners like myself. Now, as practice I will take the English captions off my dramas and see if I can understand the conversations but I need to beef up my dictionary.

At least now I can read the characters. All the best and again, thank you!

By Shimi T

Mar 26, 2018

This course is really easy to follow and understand, and the quizzes are not that hard. The teacher draws parallels with English in her explanations, which is helpful if you are confident enough in your English comprehension (if you are not a native speaker). The lessons are both long and short enough at the same time to not overburden a beginner learner and since they are freely available online you can re-watch them at will to practice. The content is also on point, vocabulary and grammar provided are just enough to really kick-start your journey into the depths of learning the Korean language.

By Mavis M

Jan 9, 2018

Thank you so much. That's help me a lot. I learned more about the daily life terms and sentences. But the speed will be a little bit fast for a brand new learner which don't know the alphabet. Learner have to replay few times to remember and practice. Too many message to their brain. I'll suggest learners to learn some pronounce first, and back to this course to check is the pronounce right. Then learn something new in this course. It will be easier to follow the lectures. (You know there has a deadline of those lectures). By the way, the course is really helpful, I'll recommend learners to join.

By Antonio S

Jul 15, 2020

Este curso es muy completo, he aprendido cosas básicas pero estoy seguro que con más práctica seré capaz de mantener una conversación en coreano. Puedes aprender vocabulario, expresiones, recomiendo este curso para todo principante, empiezas desde 0. ¡Muchas gracias! Saludos desde México, amigos. (:

This course is very complete, I have learned basic things but I'm sure with more practice I'll be able to hold a conversation in Korean. You can learn vocabulary, expressions, I recommend this course for all beginners, your start since 0. Thanks a lot!

고맙습니다! 제 이름은 안토니오 예요 저는 22실 이에요, 멕시코 사람이 에요.

By Mariafernanda V S

Sep 18, 2020

Este curso me ha ayudado mucho a aprender un idioma tan distinto como el coreano, y un poco de su cultura, ya que varias expresiones coreanas son distintas y muestran algo de sus valores. Por ejemplo, las distintas expresiones que existen especialmente para hablar formalmente y con respeto a alguien mayor que tú, me pareció muy interesante. Siempre sentí mucha curiosidad por aprender este idioma, y gracias a este curso, ahora puedo leer la escritura coreana hangul y puedo entender expresiones de habla básicas en el idioma, las cuales seguiré practicando para poder mejorar. Muchas gracias.

By Archana K

Feb 7, 2018

안녕하세요!

When I started this course, I had no idea on how to read or write in Korean. It was an entirely new language and I was very excited but a little scared. However, by the end of this course I could read and write in Korean with ease. The course material was very easy to understand and learn from. I do have to build on my vocabulary but that I am sure is a longer process. I am very glad I enrolled in this course. Overall it was a brilliant experience and I would love to continue studying Korean. I would also like to thank Professor Seung Hae Kang and the mentors for this course.

감사합니다!

By Naruto U

Oct 4, 2020

it gave me a good idea of what is expected from me as a beginner. The course being online could be completed at any time as per my convenience which was the best part considering my profession. The pdfs are available for review which are very helpful again. I wish there was a course which would guide us further regarding the exam structure for language proficiency exams. its a very very helpful course for anyone who wants to learn Basics of Hangul. Professor maam swords enunciated the pronounciation very well.Overall it covered all aspects of learning a new language for beginners.

By Akan'k'sha

Nov 27, 2020

I would highly recommend this course to people who are eager to learn Korean.

The course is structured well, covering up the basics very well. And the instructor is genuinely a good teacher.

I've become quite comfortable in reading, writing and pronouncing Hanguel within 23 days.

It'll take regular and genuine practice to master these three prospects which is why I've enrolled for other courses as well.

감사합니다, ma'am, Coursera for such a delightful first-time experience with this language.

Looking forward to get a hold of the fluency in this language.

Take care and God bless.

By Maria R T P

Aug 21, 2020

I am impressed at how I learned writing and picking up new vocabulary words in Hangul knowing I am just a beginner. Aside of course from being so engrossed with the Korean Hangul, I am really thankful I got this course and now after daily practicing my writing I am able to memorize the alphabet and little by little learning more words in Hangul. I will see if I can still enroll in more Korean classes here in Coursera because it is free. Thank you very much Yonsei University for this chance of a lifetime. More power to everyone behind this Mooc Course. Gamsahabnida 감사합니다

By Victoria E

Oct 11, 2020

Muy buen curso. Al empezar solo tenía un vago conocimiento del alfabeto y algunas palabras sueltas, y ahora me veo capaz de diferenciar mejor un sonido de otro tanto al escucharlo como al producirlo, mi vocabulario es un poco más amplio y al leer frases y oraciones en coreano puedo reconocer algunas estructuras y terminaciones, y a veces tener una idea general del significado de las mismas. Creo que como base para empezar sirve mucho, y ojalá hicieran una segunda parte de este curso para principiantes. Espero de ahora en más continuar mi aprendizaje. ¡Muchas gracias!

By José C D H

Dec 5, 2020

I really enjoyed the class. However there were some things I would improve. I noticed there are a few words thorought the class that were mentioned multiple times in different lessons, that would give more time for other new words. Also, week four was a little bit overwhelming so I think that week could use some revision (maybe add a light topic to it to even it out). Also memorizing is pretty rough for somebody with little to no time so this course could also use a flashcard tool to practice vocabulary (which is plenty in this class). Other than that, great class!

By Luciana R L

Jul 10, 2021

Me gustó demasiado este curso, es la primera vez que tomo un curso de idioma en modalidad virtual y tengo que decir que fue una muy linda experiencia. Es un idioma un poco difícil pero a la vez es tan sencillo para aprenderlo (comparado con el Spanish), me gusta que con tan pocos caracteres se puedan decir tantas cosas y lo simple que resulta comunicarse. En fin, voy a seguir aprendiendo este hermoso idioma y espero algún día poder ser muy fluída.

Muchas gracias Profesora Seung Hae Kang, Universidad YONSEI y a coursera por la oportunidad.

Saludos desde Argentina.

By Felicia H

Oct 27, 2016

This is a very good beginner course that requires the student to practice, practice, practice. If the student does the work, then the lectures, and quizzes will support them in a substantial way. The quiz is well designed to measure what the student learned in that module. There were some audio issues in the beginning where the audio was wrong, but if you studied hard, you can still choose the correct answer.

This is not a course that can be casually studied, in order to do well, practice is necessary. I appreciate this course and look forward to the next level.

By Sherlyn C

Sep 13, 2020

Amazing, I am just a high school student who just loves learning languages as a hobby and I can say this course truly made my understanding of the Korean language and pronunciation much better. Before this course, I was learning Korean alone with only phone apps and just resources I can get my hands on, like KDramas, Kpop songs, Korean ballads, talking with Korean friends, etc. I am thankful for this course and the instructor for providing this opportunity to teach this language to many others in a magnificent manner! 감사합니다, 당신들 덕분에, 저 산 정상까지는 더 올라갈 수 있습니다!

By Heydi V

Jul 19, 2020

Personalmente me gusto mucho la dinámica y organización de este curso, aprendí y adquirí mucho vocabulario, presentarme y adquirir herramientas para hablar por primera vez con un coreano, aunque no pude acceder al certificado por el costo, es sin duda una gran ayuda para aprender el idioma y aprovechar el tiempo durante esta cuarentena..de verdad quisiera haber aplicado a una beca pero no me enteré al iniciar por eso, aprovecha y averigua antes de entrar a este curso para obtener tu certificado, gracias y espero volver aquí, en un próximo curso.

By Siri T

Jun 27, 2020

I think this was a good introductory course to be sure. Since I've studied Japanese before, I knew how crucial it is to memorize the alphabet in this kind of course, so I did not have much trouble in the following weeks. Given the format of teaching, word pronunciation was slightly difficult to follow, but I tried my best to try and emulate what the instructor is saying. I did use the notes provided but found it much more beneficial to write my own notes to practice spelling. Overall, an excellent course for anyone interested in learning Korean.

By 6.1_12 พ ด

As a Thai student who interested in the Korean language. This course helps me that learning Korean is not that hard. At first, I must say that I am worried maybe I can't understand these languages. Both English and Korean but actually It's clear and easy to understand. I recommend this course to whoever interested in the Korean language. It's fun and sometimes maybe it's difficult but if you usually practice it, finally you can understand it for sure. Thank you so much for making this course and made me understand the Korean language even more.

By VIGNESH K

Oct 11, 2020

I rate this course full because, I was searching similar kind of teaching to my knowledge level. People who are so basic I recommend you to first read Hangul (Korean alphabets) first using You tube as I did and then start this course. Since I known how to read Korean and many vocabularies before hand, this course was so easy for me to understand in terms of sentence formation. Hope my review will help someone. Finally I thank Coursera for helping me in lending Financial aid to finish the course.

Thank you Mrs.Seung Hae Kang for your teaching.

By Kristine

This course has helped me a lot in learning to read Hangeul. The course is very easy to take and the design of each module is really student-friendly. For non-Korean speakers like me, the materials given like videos and worksheets are a great help. I can review them anytime. The professor is very amiable, composed, and fluent which I think is a great factor to the overall success of the course. This course has truly inspired me that I can't wait to fully learn Korean Language and visit the country in the near future. Jeongmal gomabseubnida!

By Victor H P R

Mar 11, 2021

Un curso muy bueno, bastante bien explicado, es cierto que la inicio uno no comprende bien lo que esta haciendo o escribiendo, sin embrago, con el avance del mismo, vas percibiendo que comprendes ya lo aprendido, como por ejemplo yo. Me gusta ver series coreanas y las veo subtituladas pero, hay momentos donde identifico lo que dicen sin necesidad de leer los subtítulos.

Agradezco el poder tener acceso a este curso y disfrutar de nuevas experiencias. Sin duda alguna muy recomendable y claro que volvería a tomar otro curso referente al tema.

By Allison M

Jun 1, 2020

I absolutely enjoyed this course because the mentor explained every little bit of the Korean language which made it easier to learn. Although I did not pay for my certificate which may probably limit my assignments, I definitely thought that the assignments were helpful because they provided notes and examples about the lesson. Besides having recorded audio and video of students speaking Korean made it easier to learn rather than just listening to it from a robot. I would absolutely sign up for a further advanced lesson on learning Korean.

By Liane D

Feb 8, 2016

Very informative but I think that, if I hadn't already had a basic knowledge of the Korean alphabet and grammar structure, I'd have found the grammar explanations to be a bit too brief. Excellent for beginner level refresher though. Some glitches in the tests (e.g. the correct answer being something not taught until the next lesson) and the videos (one lesson unable to be downloaded on any of the computers to which I have access). Would be good if this course had some social /cultural lessons (like how to drink in front of a superior

By Yarelis D D F

Oct 10, 2020

Es excelente sobre todo para aquellas personas que quieren comenzar desde el inicio con el idioma coreano, el cual tiene una cultura hermosa, llena de historia, mediante este método se puede ir acostumbrando a entender a las personas y entablar una conversación básica pero que con el pasar de algunos meses se puede mejorar muchísimo, gracias a este curso puedo leer en coreano y con el basto vocabulario que mostraban en cada semana conozco palabras y verbos muy útiles, por eso les exhorto a que aprendan a través de Yonsei University.

By Bethwyn G

Feb 23, 2020

This course is an excellent introduction to reading, writing, and speaking Korean. At times I felt like it was going a little fast for me, but I appreciated the challenge. The course teacher is good and does her best to show you how to pronounce certain things, though a few things sounded so similar to something else that I was sometimes really thrown. Learning a language is quite hard, this made it a lot of fun. Oh! I also really appreciated the little skits included - they helped me to practice my listening and pronunciation!