Back to First Step Korean

Nov 24, 2016

Fun learning !!

By Gayla B

May 16, 2016

Great course, very informative and well organized.

By Krystal H

Dec 13, 2016

useful!

By Alejandra M

Jun 06, 2017

Muy bueno

By Susan E

Feb 25, 2016

I have studied Korean for about 10 months and still found some of the information useful. The numbers and dates always confuse me till this day. Quizzes were on average too easy, just listening or multiple choice. The answers were easy to find without much thought.

By Debi

Feb 25, 2016

It is a very good course for everyone to learn basic of Korean. For me who have learned Korean by read Korean lesson book somehow this course not give much thing to learn.

GRAMMAR (5/5)

This course is good because it give me more insight about Korean grammar (difference between normal. formal, and informal speech; the using of 예요/ 이에요, 이/가, etc).

THE TEACHER (5/5)

She explain clearly and give some exercise in the video to make us practice. I like the method.

VOCABULARY (3/5)

There were not much vocabulary in the course. I hope Yonsei University would add more new vocabulary in the course.

TEST/ ASSIGNMENT (3/5)

I've taken another language online course at another site that similar to Coursera. That site's assignments more complex than this course's given. This site only test our reading and listening but there were not speaking aspect that scored here. And I wish you will add writing aspect to the course.

LESSON (3/5)

The lessons those given here really simple. They were easy to understand, but I hope there will be a sequel of this course that will give us more advance lessons.

Recommendation:

- add more vocabulary,

- add speaking and writing assignment,

- a sequel of this course.

Thank you for coursera and Yonsei University for giving me an opportunity to learn Korean Language for free.

By Eima

Dec 17, 2016

very good start to those who love to learn korean and have watched couple of korean drama before (it will help alot at some point in this course) the only thing this that disappoint me was they didnt explain Final Double Consonants, which really make it little harder for me ( actually i went and learnt it from YouTube ) .

but

Huge Thx Yonsei

By Mar L

Sep 29, 2016

Very good course to take along side with studies to help give more common conversations practice and explanations of grammar rules.

By vanndet

Jun 14, 2016

Hello teacher this course is very interesting for me and make me know more about Korean culture and Korean language basic. I looking for award you offer course level 2.

thanks

By Erica B

Sep 25, 2016

If you're looking to lean Korean, taking this course will help set the foundation for learning Korean and teach you some of the basic communication skills. It's easy to follow and the work required is manageable.

By April N

May 04, 2017

Great practical conversational skills. Teaches by conversations rather than rote memory.

By Abdul W b S A

Nov 30, 2016

It's a very good course for those who want to improve their speaking skills.

By Elaine R P

Dec 07, 2016

Lessons are easy to understand and the course outline is certainly coherent. 고맙습니다 강교수님.

By 陳奕晴

Mar 09, 2017

我學到不僅僅是韓文子母語唸法,我還學到一些文法。

我覺得很棒

By Tabish A

Oct 02, 2018

Quite easy and helpful for beginner to learn Korean.

By Ashley H

Oct 14, 2018

Its a great course for starting, it focuses more on the grammar side which is just as important as the language itself. Definitely a course I will review constantly, for when I need to write and speak.

By Yosef D

May 02, 2019

感觉难度跳跃较大。

By Lidiya G N

May 10, 2019

Good course but not as good as the Chinese courses that I take through Peking from courersa. I think it leaves a lot of gaps in learning. The Korean language has both formal and informal and how this class is taught is very formal. I wanted a combination of both. It doesn't also get into detail how korean sentences can be versatile. Furthermore, I took the course to get a better grip on reading and writing since that's the hardest part for me but it jumps through so quickly without offering students to learn to read in different ways. For example, children and many adults are more visual people. My Chinese course through Peking university gives you exercises with visuals as well. I believe that helps in retaining and understanding the reading element better. I expected more from Yonsei since it's a top university so a bit disappointed but it's not a bad course and like I said still useful in it's own way. Although, many of the vocabularies are completely useless for everyday life. I wish more of the typical vocabulary was included. Honestly, the talk to me in Korean material I ordered online is better.

By Luis E B R

Jun 17, 2019

fue un curso increible. para ser solo para principiantes, estaba muy completo y la profesora explica muy bien. en mi opinion solo le hace falta más practicas para despues de cada clase.

By Jean D O O

Jul 20, 2019

¡Me gustó mucho este curso! cada vídeo me enseñó sobre todo lo básico que necesito saber para empezar a aprender coreano. Les recomiendo que se traduzcan mejor los subtítulos en español; los subtítulos de la semana 5 estaban en inglés aunque selecccionara el idioma español.

By Patricia B

Jul 28, 2019

It's a really good course to go from cero knowledge to very basic knowledge. In particular, the lessons in weeks one and two are very well-paced and the explanations given in the videos are clear and concise. The teacher takes time to enunciate and to explain the pronunciations of the vocabulary used in every lesson, which is of great help since Korean pronunciation is very nuanced and hard to understand the difference between the similar-sounding sounds.

As an area of improvement, I would consider reviewing the reading material since it's very scarce. It holds all the vocabulary as well as additional exercises that the student can attempt on their own before watching the videos to do corrections, however, there are no actual explanations of the grammar learned in each lesson. Particularly in weeks 3 and 4 where grammar gets a bit more complicated, the explanation in the video is not enough to truly understand what the rules are and students who learn more by understanding grammar could use a more fleshed out explanation in the reading material.

Overall I do recommend it, it's a great introduction and it's not too heavy, so someone who is a full-time employee or student can still pass this course easily.

By Mehartab R

Jun 01, 2019

Its really helpful and thorough. This course helped me alot with my Korean skills. I am very grateful to Yonsei University for providing this course.

고맙습니다 !!