Back to First Step Korean

May 1, 2017

151 - 175 of 7,827 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Sam B

Oct 7, 2018

Excellent course - well done Yonsei! Great teaching style which includes role play conversations - it helps to train your ear for live conversation. Also, they breakdown the grammar and explain it well, where other "popular" courses do not. The writing exercises reinforce learning - reading, writing and speaking is the best was to learn a language, and no this is not theoretical - it works! My only suggestion, add more units and make it an 8-week course because 5 is simply not enough.

By Maria T

Jan 18, 2020

Realmente es un gran curso para todo aquel que quiera empezar a estudiar el idioma coreano, con clases muy amenas y fáciles de entender cada una con su grado de dificultad, un vocabulario de diario muy bueno y ejercicios de practica en cada lección, definitivamente lo recomiendo, ya que gracias a este curso he aprendido a saludar y presentarme en corean, aunque falta mucho para ser una principiante no esta mal, ya se leer en hangul (¡no perfecto! pero la practica hace al maestro) :)

By Bertrand V

Oct 27, 2019

I absolutely loved that course, I learnt so so so much. I have been learning Korean with private teachers for 3 years and this course was a nice companion in order to further my learning of the Korean language. I like how the course is structured, I like the teacher very much, we learn a lot too so I truly believe this was a nice course that I recommend to anyone who wants to learn the Korean bases. I hope to continue and develop my learning skills with Korean. Thank you so much ;)

By Ogunleye O J

Jun 19, 2020

This course has been quite an accomplishment for me I never knew I could understand any form of language not written in the Alphabet format... Kudos to our facilitator Professor Seung.

I shall so much love to make remarkable progress from here...I wish such opportunity presents itself, I promise not to let the professor down.

Sometimes I have to go over the class again...no surprises that I was able to score 100% throughout the entire modules.

Please consider me for an advance class

By Rose-Anne L

Apr 14, 2017

This course is really helpful not only for beginners but as well as to those people who already familiar with Korean Language. It introduces you with alphabets, grammar, pronunciation and also the cultural aspect. In this program, I have become more familiar with sentence construction and gaining extra vocabulary that I can use for daily conversations. But the most fun part is that there is also a forum section where you can share and gather inputs and discuss in depth the lesson.

By Lea C

Jun 26, 2017

After 5 weeks of Intensive studying my first Korean class, I was amazed how is it easy to learn a language if one is really willing to learn and to practice it. The videos and the professor gave a detailed input on how to make learning Hangeul fun and easy to understand. I hope the "foreign words" ---the words in Hangeul will be also written in words so that pronunciation will be easy as well. I recommend this course for all who are just starting to learn Hangeul. Happy Learning!

By Tana Y

Jul 27, 2020

I've always wanted to learn hangul. And professor Seung Hae Kang teaches in really simple way which is comfortable for basic learner like me. i loved everything about this course but i think adding some k-drama dialogues or some hallyuwood just like how Barbara Oakley put some hollywoods into Mindshift course i think can be way more interesting and fun for the beginners like me. Anyway, Thank you coursera and Yonsei university for the course and the valuable time teaching us.

By Jovanna T

Jun 23, 2020

I've always wanted to learn a new language and I've always been interested in the Korean language. I spent time watching thousands of videos and none of them explaining the language, culture, and usage as well as this course. I really recommend it those who are just starting like me. I have learned how to introduce myself, talk about my family, and so much more. I will continue to study my notes and get better. I want to thank Yonsei University and Ms. Seung Hae Kang for this.

By Samantha L

Mar 1, 2021

An excellent course for beginners! Really well-structured course covering all the basics you need to know. Videos were clear, straightforward and easy to follow and understand. If you make your own notes on the vocab, conversation examples and pronunciation then the quizzes become super easy. I definitely have learnt a lot of vocab and basic sentences and will now go on to use other online resources to continue teaching myself korean. Can't recommend this course enough!! :')

By camila p o o

Jul 24, 2020

Hola buenas tardes.

Mi nombre es Camila y necesito agradecer el tremendo material que se encuentra disponible de manera gratuita. La plataforma es perfecta, cabe señalar que el curso es breve pero muy completo, Espero poder seguir aprendiendo con ustedes , mil gracias por esta oportunidad.

LOS FELICITO!!!

A todo el equipo de COURSERA y a todas las personas que hacen posible que este material este disponibles para todos equitativamente.

MIILLLLL GRAAAACIAS.

CARIÑOS Y BENDICIONES.

By Brenda C

Aug 2, 2020

This course is absolutely amazing for someone who has wanted to learn the basics in the Korean Language. This course is formatted perfectly including the easy to follow along and understand videos, practice worksheets, and quizzes at the end. I would recommend this course to everyone wanting to study Korean as it feels like an actual class where you have to study weekly. This course is absolutely wonderful and surprising that it is free because it is so worth it. Thank you!

By Ayana Y

Apr 21, 2020

Thank you for the course! It was both interesting and challenging. I've learned lot of things. Numerals for me is still the most difficult topic. And for Hebrew speaker there is a specific problem: there are letters that look very similar and it's very confusing. I'd like to learn more basic stuff like personal pronouns for example if such a thing exists. How many times are there in Korean and so on. But anyway it's a very good start and I'll definitely continue to learn

By Anupama Z

Mar 5, 2019

First of all, thank you very much for this course, Yonsei University and Professor Kang Seung Hae ssi. I'm now fully able to read and write Korean language. And by practicing, I'm being able to understand and speak more Korean day by day. To be honest, I'm loving this language more and more. It also helped me learning various customs and practices of Korean people. This course was very helpful indeed. I'll definitely recommend it to any person who wants to learn Korean.

By Afsana F

Feb 14, 2021

Hi, I'm Afsana from Bangladesh. Communication skills and language are always so important at present and I've completed "First Step Korean" for the same reason. This course helped me to enhance more of my communication skill and helped me to gain knowledge about Hangul . The Instructor Miss Seung Hae Kang explained each and every word in a detailed way which was helpful to understand easily and quickly. Provided reading scripts are sufficient to understand the basics.

By Camille A C

Dec 6, 2020

It is my first time to study Korean with a formal teacher and I learned a lot as compared to studying it on my own. Korean language is difficult because of how the grammar rules differ from the English language; the many particles and affixes used for conjugating words. I also like that there are guides for the pronunciation because that is also hard. The lecture has helped me a lot with those. I hope there were more practice tests especially for the vocabulary part.

By Meredith r R v

Aug 3, 2020

Muchas gracias por el curso, gracias a la profesora y a la Universidad Yonsei por tan noble gesto de enseñar mas allá de las barreras o las dificultades de la traducción en diversas lenguas, estoy muy feliz de haber participado y a la vez un poco triste de haber culminado, me queda la felicidad , y sobre todo lo aprendido, y aunque sea haya culminado el curso , no se ha terminado mi aprendizaje continuaré aprendiendo cada día mas de este lindo idioma...muchas gracias

By Nikeisha S

Nov 22, 2020

I really enjoyed every lesson, I will do this program again to further my understanding . I learned so much. I would greatly appreciate more information for Korean language courses I may participate in. Please reach out to me at nikeishasetal@gmail.com with any information I need to continue my journey with the Korean language. I appreciated this course greatly an that it was offered to those willing to give the time and energy to practice and study complimentary.

By Yuki K S N

Jan 13, 2019

Very informative on the formal and informal ways of speaking Korean. I learnt a lot of vocabulary and understood Korean pronunciation better as well. I also reinforced my knowledge of numbers and the system of alphabets in Korea. However, the course might be too fast for someone who is entirely new to the Korean language. Probably recommended to do some reading first before getting into this course, which may become stressful over time. Thank you, Yonsei Univesity!

By Daniela S

Sep 26, 2017

Great course! The teacher speaks slowly enough that you can keep up with the reading.

If you want a starter's pack to Korean, this is it. It doesn't focus too much on grammar or theory, but on what you actually need to know.

One thing that confused me at first was the order of the materials in class. Because it starts with a dialog, moves on to vocabulary, and goes back to the dialog. Once I got used to that, it was very enjoyable to follow this course!

고맙습니다 :)

By Alexis V

Dec 14, 2020

This short course about Korean Language has been very helpful to me since I always watch Korean dramas and listen to K-pop songs. I wanted to understand what I'm watching without depending so much on the subtitles. This course gave me an in-depth learning about Korean language and culture. I hope that I'll be able to practice and to apply what I've learned in my daily life. By the way, Ms. Seung Hae Kang deserves a credit for being an effective online teacher.

By Jamara L A

Oct 15, 2020

I had an experience studying Korean language before but I wasn't able to study the beginner level due to my knowledge on how to read and write Hangul plus the greetings and some vocabularies that I know. With these course I learned a lot especially the culture of Korea and how Korean alphabets where made aside from that my knowledge and vocabularies got deeper with this course, hopefully there will be next course for this lesson. How about Korean 2? Thank you!

By Hadassa

Este curso es realmete la introduccion al coreano, si no sabes nada sobre este idioma , va a ser de gran ayuda para ti como lo fue conmigo. La maestra Seung es realmente buena explicando los conceptos, pronunciacion y gramática. Poco a poco tambien se apremde a ser autodidacta... por lógica y observando detenidamente las oraciones tambien vas comprendiendo, como se aplican algunos terminos. Aparte que te los explican pero th por tu parte tendrás entendimiento.

By Pitchakorn K

This course is very useful for people who would like to learn first step about Korean language. There is a lot of data that make me more understand about creating a sentence in daily life and also can respond to Korean people in a simple conversation. The teacher's explanations is clearly and easy to understand any lesson that they prepare for us and also videos are good! For me, I really like this course and I'll spend more time to practice this language. ^^

By Holly S

Working with Yonsei Unversity through Coursera has been an amazing opportunity. I had been searching for a formal, online way to learn & study the basics of the Korean language, and this was exactly what I was looking for! Seung Hae Kang is an exceptional professor, and I enjoyed learning from each of the units of this course. First Step Korean has inspired me to continue furthering my education of the Korean language. To Yonsei University & Coursera: 감사합니다!

By Cheryl M

Sep 17, 2016

This was such a fun and great course to follow. I really want to learn more Korean and this is great for starters. You will learn how to write Hangul and speak in a very easy way. The classes are not too difficult and you can keep up easily if you spend the time each week on each course. I recommend this for everyone who wants to learn the basics of Korean language. I finished today and I can't wait to get my certificate. Thank you so much Yonsei University!