Back to First Step Korean

AT
Jun 7, 2017

RN
Oct 6, 2021

This course is really a great start to learn Korean language. It taught me Hangul, particles used, vocabularies and how sentences are made. Thank you to Professor Seung Hae Kang and Yonsei University.

151 - 175 of 10,000 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Yarelis D D F

Oct 10, 2020

Es excelente sobre todo para aquellas personas que quieren comenzar desde el inicio con el idioma coreano, el cual tiene una cultura hermosa, llena de historia, mediante este método se puede ir acostumbrando a entender a las personas y entablar una conversación básica pero que con el pasar de algunos meses se puede mejorar muchísimo, gracias a este curso puedo leer en coreano y con el basto vocabulario que mostraban en cada semana conozco palabras y verbos muy útiles, por eso les exhorto a que aprendan a través de Yonsei University.

By Bethwyn G

Feb 23, 2020

This course is an excellent introduction to reading, writing, and speaking Korean. At times I felt like it was going a little fast for me, but I appreciated the challenge. The course teacher is good and does her best to show you how to pronounce certain things, though a few things sounded so similar to something else that I was sometimes really thrown. Learning a language is quite hard, this made it a lot of fun. Oh! I also really appreciated the little skits included - they helped me to practice my listening and pronunciation!

By Horst H

Feb 24, 2021

For all the Germans: Der Kurs ist deshalb besonders gut, weil auf die Unterschiede zwischen dem gesprochenen Wort und der koreanischen Schrift eingegangen wird. Die Kursleiterin spricht ausgezeichnetes Englisch und erklärt die kulturellen Zusammenhänge, wer z.B. wen wie in der Familie anspricht. Ältere haben generell einen hohen Stellenwert in der koreanischen Gesellschaft und werden anders angesprochen, sodass man in Korea immer darauf achtet wer mit wem spricht. Das wird in diesem Grundkurs besonders gut herausgearbeitet.

By Prabodha A

Dec 30, 2020

This course was really helpful. I literally didn't know a single letter in Korean or anything about Korean language at all. But the lecturer very well explained everything in a pace I could follow and now I know the entire alphabet on Korean, has the ability to read in Korean and have a simple conversation in Korean. The lectures were very interesting and the teaching methods were really good. Loads of thanks to the lecturer.

To anybody who wants to learn Korean and do not know where to start, I highly recommend this course.

By 121810313023 S D

Aug 30, 2021

The course was well structured and excellently taught. Seung Hae Ma'am explained every word and phrase in a fun and easy way and even gave us tips on remembering the basics. Though at times there was a bit too much vocab to learn in one shot, if we took our time with it, we could learn and remember at least 3/4th of the words. Furthermore, the quizzes helped a lot with practice and memorizing these words. I hope Ma'am puts out a new course for the next level of Korean! Thank you for this course! I had a great time learning!

By Preeti R

It is a helpful course for people who wish to learn the Korean language. The well-planned structure ensures that the students not only learn the vocabulary and grammar but also understand the correct pronunciation of the words, and how and when the same are to be used. The small conversations at the start, focus on pronunciation, detailed explanation of the concepts, additional vocabularies, and worksheets followed by a quiz at the end of every chapter ensure that the students have a holistic understanding of the concept.

By shikshya c

Sep 8, 2020

As a complete beginner for learning Korean language. I am very impressed with the way of teaching of this website. as being a curious 13 year old I wanted to do something new in this lockdown and learning a new language was always in my bucket list. I didn't have any high expectation from myself and the website but the result as even crossed my expectation from which am very pleased. I can write and read hangul know. I definitely recommend this website to the beginners who are interested in Korean language and culture.

By Abeywardena, H

Aug 5, 2020

I wanted to learn Korean language for some time but I had no idea where to go. Fortunately I found this course conducted by Yonsei University on Coursera. This course was really great and helpful. The way the Lecturer conducts the lesson and the course material are very easy to understand even for someone like me who does not had any basic knowledge about Korean language at the beginning. I would like to thank Yonsei University's staff specially Associate Professor Seung Hae Kang and Coursera for this wonderful course.

By Emmanuela

Sep 22, 2019

I started studying Korean by myself with some books, but I know I was going very slow because one thing is studying on books by yourself, an other thing is when someone explains you things and why to do something one way or another. This course is well structured, it allows the learner to improve its written and speaking skills too - along with listening. I would say it helped me so much to understand the basis of this language. Now I can only continue and study hoping one day I will become fluent in Korean. Thank you!

By Emmanuel C

Jul 2, 2020

This was a superb course. The material is logically organized and the explanations are very clear. The practice exercises and the quizzes were great ways to reinforce the learning. Even though the course is short, there is a good amount of vocabulary taught, as well as important grammar points. I had previously taken a beginner Korean course, so some of the material was not new to me, but the way that things were explained actually helped me to better understand some of the things that I had learned previously.

By NOR A B A J

Mar 1, 2021

This course is a good course for a foreigner to start learning the Korean language. Prof Kang has done a very good job of explaining very steps precisely. Week 1 to 2 were a little bit easy to follow. Things got a little bit hard in the middle of Week 3 to the end, especially when we learned verbs, particles and new vocabulary. However, with a good amount of practice, learners might able to demonstrate good proficiency in this language. Thank you so much to Prof Kang and the team for your great job. Well done!

By Kayla P

May 22, 2020

Going into this course, I've already learned how to write and understand Hangul but after days of learning properly what was the origin and how to use it proficiently. It was so easy to understand and the professor was really good at explaining things even though it could be confusing to people like me who are in a different culture. I've always loved learning different languages but I'm excited to finally use this Korean language and put it to the test! Thank you so much for this course. It was very helpful!

By Alexia M

Aug 3, 2020

안녕하세요! I really enjoyed this class, and I found it extremely useful as a beginner with very little prior knowledge. Ms. Kang is a very good teacher, and her explanations of the pronunciation were very helpful when a word was quite confusing to pronounce. I liked the way the topics were divided and made sense. It was also nice to hear it in a conversation, which would be an example at the beginning of every lecture. Overall, I'd recommend this course to anyone looking to understand the basics of the language!

By Shireen D

Nov 21, 2020

Thank you for a great introduction to learning Korean. I liked that she talked slowly and things were repeated in various units. The separation of handouts and video and quiz was good. It seems all the basics were covered. I liked that we had time to repeat slowly the conversations and that there were pronunciation tips. One suggestion would be to have an extra section with ALL the vocabulary together in alphabetical order, so that there was easy access in later units when you are trying to remember a word.

By Sara M d

Jan 14, 2021

Me ha encantado el curso. Desde hacia tiempo había querido empezar a estudiar coreano y no encontraba un curso que me satisfaguera, pero sin duda alguna este lo ha conseguido. Los videos me han parecido muy bien explicados, fáciles de entender y seguir, además de interesantes. Tiene un vocabulario muy amplio y agradabale para alguien principiante, así como sus explicaciones en cuanto a formluar frases, pronunciar, etc. Recomendadísimo para todos aquellos que quieran empezar, pero no saben por dónde o cómo.

By Saniya K

Nov 19, 2017

I think this is an excellent course for anyone who wants to learn the basics of Korean. I would and have easily recommended this course to a bunch of my friends who wanted to learn Korean but couldn't join classes the way I could! It was a great way for me to revise and I learnt a few things (particularly about pronunciation) which I hadn't known before! Thank you for this course and I really hope that more courses (for higher levels) are added! Best of luck to anyone who is about to start this course :)

By Dawn N

Jun 8, 2020

The course was easy to understand and application is easy. Just need to remember to practise on pronunciation as often the tone of answering and asking is slightly different as compare to speaking English where there is no tone in differentiation in asking and answering a question. Difficulty when the pronunciation of the earlier word to pass on to the next syllable with non sounding words thus written and spoken words might different.. Overall, the learning of the language is fun and easy to catch on.

By JeSang S

May 11, 2018

This course has provided me with the very basic elements of the Koren language and I have to say that despite of the enormous differences between the languages i am fluent at so far. Getting into a new set of characters sounds encouraged me to challenge myself to practice them until i master them. I will keep on practicing them then! Thank you professor Seung Hae Kang and all the ones who were involved to make this course available for us. I would really appreciate you continued doing this amazing job!

By Julie B

Oct 2, 2016

The course was detailed and very easy to understand.

One thing I did have a problem with from time to time was differentiating between words - I've noticed that Korean words can be very close to one another and it's sometimes hard to tell if there's a space between two words or if those are actually one word. If this course could make the spaces between words bigger, it would be easier to see each word as it is instead of getting confused if a certain phrase is two separate words or one word.

Thank you!

By DIANA L J V C

Mar 13, 2021

Me encantó todo el contenido que nos pasaron y que reforzaran bien el escuchar y el escribir, sé que con mucha práctica y apoyándome en los apuntes que tomé y leyendo las guías de los ejercicios podré mejorar mucho más hasta el punto de poder hablar en coreano y comprenderlo al escucharlo, lo que más quiero es poder llegar a comunicarme en este idioma y comprenderlo al escucharlo y leerlo. Muchísimas gracias por la oportunidad que estoy segura que muchas personas aprovecharon al ser gratis este curso.

By Narmina A

May 7, 2017

I have been a fan of Korea and everything related to it for the longest time now, and to find an online course, let alone a FREE one, was an actual gift from the deities. I have officially taken up real life courses as well because I want to go further and learn the whole language due to the sheer beauty of it, and this language course was what got me into it in the first place. Massive props to our beautiful Korean teacher for giving us a boost. I hope to see further courses in the future. 고맙습니다! ^^

By Syeda A M

Aug 29, 2021

I enjoyed the course and it turned out to be very helpful for those aiming to learn and converse in Korean Language. Building strong foundations is vital to an in-depth understanding of a foreign language which is exactly what one can achieve through this course.

There couldn't possibly be a better lecturer appointed for this job, and a better course outline. I really hope that with the knowledge I gained through this course, I will be able to converse in Korean language in the forseeable future.

By Akilah S

Apr 14, 2021

I really enjoyed the course, firstly I appreciate that there wasn't any romanised words. The teacher spoke clearly, explained the pronunciations in an easy way, and overall I enjoyed the format. This and the abilities to screenshot and easily make notes. I liked the revision sheets as it went over exactly what we just learned, plus I could download it and print it off for repeat practice. I thought the tests could be a few questions longer, but I like that you were given more than 1 attempt,.

By Bani_orv

Aug 16, 2020

Creo que es un curso completo para aprender coreano básico ,te enseña diferentes aspecto del idioma que son importantes para poder comunicarte con los coreanos. Como los saludos,la familia ,los lugares,países, hora ,verbos y algunas partículas, etc. El curso es dinámico,creativo y de fácil entendimiento,tiene en algunos caso subtitulo en español por si no sabes ingles, y tiene prácticas y notas que lo acompañan para luego, al final realizar un quiz que mide tu conocimiento aprendizaje

By MEGHA S

Sep 17, 2020

Iam so greatful to my teacher Seung Hae Kang shi who did an amazing job in teaching hangul to every new student in the most simple and brilliant manner possible, with her consistent method of teaching help me to study hangul in an effective way,like she said practice makes perfection,as a student i will do my best to practice and learn more.i wish to learn more and more lessons from her teaching. Anyway iam always indebted to her, forever in my life, for teaching the basics of hangul.