Back to First Step Korean

May 02, 2017

101 - 125 of 6,410 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Siri T

Jun 27, 2020

I think this was a good introductory course to be sure. Since I've studied Japanese before, I knew how crucial it is to memorize the alphabet in this kind of course, so I did not have much trouble in the following weeks. Given the format of teaching, word pronunciation was slightly difficult to follow, but I tried my best to try and emulate what the instructor is saying. I did use the notes provided but found it much more beneficial to write my own notes to practice spelling. Overall, an excellent course for anyone interested in learning Korean.

By Phatcharaphon D

As a Thai student who interested in the Korean language. This course helps me that learning Korean is not that hard. At first, I must say that I am worried maybe I can't understand these languages. Both English and Korean but actually It's clear and easy to understand. I recommend this course to whoever interested in the Korean language. It's fun and sometimes maybe it's difficult but if you usually practice it, finally you can understand it for sure. Thank you so much for making this course and made me understand the Korean language even more.

By VIGNESH K

Oct 11, 2020

I rate this course full because, I was searching similar kind of teaching to my knowledge level. People who are so basic I recommend you to first read Hangul (Korean alphabets) first using You tube as I did and then start this course. Since I known how to read Korean and many vocabularies before hand, this course was so easy for me to understand in terms of sentence formation. Hope my review will help someone. Finally I thank Coursera for helping me in lending Financial aid to finish the course.

Thank you Mrs.Seung Hae Kang for your teaching.

By Kristine

Jun 17, 2020

This course has helped me a lot in learning to read Hangeul. The course is very easy to take and the design of each module is really student-friendly. For non-Korean speakers like me, the materials given like videos and worksheets are a great help. I can review them anytime. The professor is very amiable, composed, and fluent which I think is a great factor to the overall success of the course. This course has truly inspired me that I can't wait to fully learn Korean Language and visit the country in the near future. Jeongmal gomabseubnida!

By Allison M

Jun 01, 2020

I absolutely enjoyed this course because the mentor explained every little bit of the Korean language which made it easier to learn. Although I did not pay for my certificate which may probably limit my assignments, I definitely thought that the assignments were helpful because they provided notes and examples about the lesson. Besides having recorded audio and video of students speaking Korean made it easier to learn rather than just listening to it from a robot. I would absolutely sign up for a further advanced lesson on learning Korean.

By Liane D

Feb 09, 2016

Very informative but I think that, if I hadn't already had a basic knowledge of the Korean alphabet and grammar structure, I'd have found the grammar explanations to be a bit too brief. Excellent for beginner level refresher though. Some glitches in the tests (e.g. the correct answer being something not taught until the next lesson) and the videos (one lesson unable to be downloaded on any of the computers to which I have access). Would be good if this course had some social /cultural lessons (like how to drink in front of a superior

By Yarelis D D F

Oct 10, 2020

Es excelente sobre todo para aquellas personas que quieren comenzar desde el inicio con el idioma coreano, el cual tiene una cultura hermosa, llena de historia, mediante este método se puede ir acostumbrando a entender a las personas y entablar una conversación básica pero que con el pasar de algunos meses se puede mejorar muchísimo, gracias a este curso puedo leer en coreano y con el basto vocabulario que mostraban en cada semana conozco palabras y verbos muy útiles, por eso les exhorto a que aprendan a través de Yonsei University.

By Bethwyn M

Feb 24, 2020

This course is an excellent introduction to reading, writing, and speaking Korean. At times I felt like it was going a little fast for me, but I appreciated the challenge. The course teacher is good and does her best to show you how to pronounce certain things, though a few things sounded so similar to something else that I was sometimes really thrown. Learning a language is quite hard, this made it a lot of fun. Oh! I also really appreciated the little skits included - they helped me to practice my listening and pronunciation!

By Preeti R

It is a helpful course for people who wish to learn the Korean language. The well-planned structure ensures that the students not only learn the vocabulary and grammar but also understand the correct pronunciation of the words, and how and when the same are to be used. The small conversations at the start, focus on pronunciation, detailed explanation of the concepts, additional vocabularies, and worksheets followed by a quiz at the end of every chapter ensure that the students have a holistic understanding of the concept.

By shikshya c

Sep 08, 2020

As a complete beginner for learning Korean language. I am very impressed with the way of teaching of this website. as being a curious 13 year old I wanted to do something new in this lockdown and learning a new language was always in my bucket list. I didn't have any high expectation from myself and the website but the result as even crossed my expectation from which am very pleased. I can write and read hangul know. I definitely recommend this website to the beginners who are interested in Korean language and culture.

By Abeywardena, H

Aug 05, 2020

I wanted to learn Korean language for some time but I had no idea where to go. Fortunately I found this course conducted by Yonsei University on Coursera. This course was really great and helpful. The way the Lecturer conducts the lesson and the course material are very easy to understand even for someone like me who does not had any basic knowledge about Korean language at the beginning. I would like to thank Yonsei University's staff specially Associate Professor Seung Hae Kang and Coursera for this wonderful course.

By Emmanuela

Sep 22, 2019

I started studying Korean by myself with some books, but I know I was going very slow because one thing is studying on books by yourself, an other thing is when someone explains you things and why to do something one way or another. This course is well structured, it allows the learner to improve its written and speaking skills too - along with listening. I would say it helped me so much to understand the basis of this language. Now I can only continue and study hoping one day I will become fluent in Korean. Thank you!

By Emmanuel C

Jul 02, 2020

This was a superb course. The material is logically organized and the explanations are very clear. The practice exercises and the quizzes were great ways to reinforce the learning. Even though the course is short, there is a good amount of vocabulary taught, as well as important grammar points. I had previously taken a beginner Korean course, so some of the material was not new to me, but the way that things were explained actually helped me to better understand some of the things that I had learned previously.

By Kayla P

May 22, 2020

Going into this course, I've already learned how to write and understand Hangul but after days of learning properly what was the origin and how to use it proficiently. It was so easy to understand and the professor was really good at explaining things even though it could be confusing to people like me who are in a different culture. I've always loved learning different languages but I'm excited to finally use this Korean language and put it to the test! Thank you so much for this course. It was very helpful!

By Alexia M

Aug 04, 2020

안녕하세요! I really enjoyed this class, and I found it extremely useful as a beginner with very little prior knowledge. Ms. Kang is a very good teacher, and her explanations of the pronunciation were very helpful when a word was quite confusing to pronounce. I liked the way the topics were divided and made sense. It was also nice to hear it in a conversation, which would be an example at the beginning of every lecture. Overall, I'd recommend this course to anyone looking to understand the basics of the language!

By Saniya K

Nov 19, 2017

I think this is an excellent course for anyone who wants to learn the basics of Korean. I would and have easily recommended this course to a bunch of my friends who wanted to learn Korean but couldn't join classes the way I could! It was a great way for me to revise and I learnt a few things (particularly about pronunciation) which I hadn't known before! Thank you for this course and I really hope that more courses (for higher levels) are added! Best of luck to anyone who is about to start this course :)

By Dawn N

Jun 08, 2020

The course was easy to understand and application is easy. Just need to remember to practise on pronunciation as often the tone of answering and asking is slightly different as compare to speaking English where there is no tone in differentiation in asking and answering a question. Difficulty when the pronunciation of the earlier word to pass on to the next syllable with non sounding words thus written and spoken words might different.. Overall, the learning of the language is fun and easy to catch on.

By JeSang S

May 11, 2018

This course has provided me with the very basic elements of the Koren language and I have to say that despite of the enormous differences between the languages i am fluent at so far. Getting into a new set of characters sounds encouraged me to challenge myself to practice them until i master them. I will keep on practicing them then! Thank you professor Seung Hae Kang and all the ones who were involved to make this course available for us. I would really appreciate you continued doing this amazing job!

By Julie B

Oct 03, 2016

The course was detailed and very easy to understand.

One thing I did have a problem with from time to time was differentiating between words - I've noticed that Korean words can be very close to one another and it's sometimes hard to tell if there's a space between two words or if those are actually one word. If this course could make the spaces between words bigger, it would be easier to see each word as it is instead of getting confused if a certain phrase is two separate words or one word.

Thank you!

By Narmina A

May 07, 2017

I have been a fan of Korea and everything related to it for the longest time now, and to find an online course, let alone a FREE one, was an actual gift from the deities. I have officially taken up real life courses as well because I want to go further and learn the whole language due to the sheer beauty of it, and this language course was what got me into it in the first place. Massive props to our beautiful Korean teacher for giving us a boost. I hope to see further courses in the future. 고맙습니다! ^^

By Albani O

Aug 16, 2020

Creo que es un curso completo para aprender coreano básico ,te enseña diferentes aspecto del idioma que son importantes para poder comunicarte con los coreanos. Como los saludos,la familia ,los lugares,países, hora ,verbos y algunas partículas, etc. El curso es dinámico,creativo y de fácil entendimiento,tiene en algunos caso subtitulo en español por si no sabes ingles, y tiene prácticas y notas que lo acompañan para luego, al final realizar un quiz que mide tu conocimiento aprendizaje

By MEGHA S

Sep 17, 2020

Iam so greatful to my teacher Seung Hae Kang shi who did an amazing job in teaching hangul to every new student in the most simple and brilliant manner possible, with her consistent method of teaching help me to study hangul in an effective way,like she said practice makes perfection,as a student i will do my best to practice and learn more.i wish to learn more and more lessons from her teaching. Anyway iam always indebted to her, forever in my life, for teaching the basics of hangul.

By Sam B

Oct 07, 2018

Excellent course - well done Yonsei! Great teaching style which includes role play conversations - it helps to train your ear for live conversation. Also, they breakdown the grammar and explain it well, where other "popular" courses do not. The writing exercises reinforce learning - reading, writing and speaking is the best was to learn a language, and no this is not theoretical - it works! My only suggestion, add more units and make it an 8-week course because 5 is simply not enough.

By Maria T

Jan 18, 2020

Realmente es un gran curso para todo aquel que quiera empezar a estudiar el idioma coreano, con clases muy amenas y fáciles de entender cada una con su grado de dificultad, un vocabulario de diario muy bueno y ejercicios de practica en cada lección, definitivamente lo recomiendo, ya que gracias a este curso he aprendido a saludar y presentarme en corean, aunque falta mucho para ser una principiante no esta mal, ya se leer en hangul (¡no perfecto! pero la practica hace al maestro) :)

By Bertrand V

Oct 27, 2019

I absolutely loved that course, I learnt so so so much. I have been learning Korean with private teachers for 3 years and this course was a nice companion in order to further my learning of the Korean language. I like how the course is structured, I like the teacher very much, we learn a lot too so I truly believe this was a nice course that I recommend to anyone who wants to learn the Korean bases. I hope to continue and develop my learning skills with Korean. Thank you so much ;)