Chevron Left
Back to First Step Korean

Learner Reviews & Feedback for First Step Korean by Yonsei University

4.8
stars
6,245 ratings
1,818 reviews

About the Course

This is an elementary-level Korean language course, consisting of 5 lessons with 4 units, and covers 4 skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. The main topics include basic expressions used in everyday life, such as greetings, introducing yourself, talking about your family and a daily life and so on. Each lesson covers dialogues, pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, quizzes and role-plays. After completing this course, you will be able to 1. read and write Korean alphabet. 2. communicate in Korean with basic expressions. 3. learn basic knowledge on Korean culture. It’s fun and easy to follow! Enjoy it!...

Top reviews

CS

Jan 07, 2018

The course is amazing for now! The teacher explains everything in a great order and it helps me a lot with Korean. I understand a lot more now. Thank you for that Seung Hae Kang and Yonsei University!

DD

May 02, 2017

This was course was very informative. I really enjoyed the content being that I wasn't on the paid version. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything but learn a lot from this course. 감사합니다!!!!

Filter by:

1576 - 1600 of 1,784 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Kelly M

Aug 07, 2017

En general, el curso estuvo muy completo ya que nos facilita las herramientas que necesitamos en un primer contacto. Sin embargo, en los últimos vídeos tenia la traducción al español incompleto y se dificulto un poco el aprendizaje. Pero, en lineas generales estoy satisfecha y agradezco por el esfuerzo y tiempo que han invertido en la realización de este material, para que el idioma y la cultura llegue a más personas del mudo. Gracias!

By Estefany N

Feb 01, 2018

Aprendí mucho con este curso gratuito virtual, pues se pudo ajustar a mis horarios ya que estudio en la universidad.

Le doy cuatro estrellas debido a que en algunos vídeos no estaba subtitulado a mi idioma así que fue algo dificultoso para mí y tenía que buscar en un diccionario de inglés para saber lo que decía.

Aun así agradezco a la profesora y al personal del curso; y espero que en el futuro pueda inscribirme en otros cursos.

By Priya K

Mar 11, 2019

To be frank, I have been trying to learn korean for 3 years but didn't progress well by myself. Through this course I could be able to learn most of daily conversation vocabularies and learnt how to pronounce correctly in such a short time. Professor Kang took the class gradually and helped me shape my learning progress quite smooth. Will recommend this course to everyone, beginner or intermediate to catch up the basics.

By Deyna A A A

May 15, 2017

Un curso muy bueno para aprender lo básico en hangul... a pesar de no entender muy bien el inglés he podido comprender aunque con dificultad los ultimos temas.

Podrían los videos subtitularse con una mejor traducción del idioma español para una fácil comprención para los hispano hablantes, ya que hay muchos interesados en la cultura coreana.

Thanks Yonsei University for the great course!!

연세대학교 감사합니다!! ^o^

By Mary K P

Mar 10, 2018

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to achieve another goal in my life. All the lectures were very interesting and challenging even though at first , I was trying cope up and adjust. I knew that the lessons I took up in this course can be useful to me since I am into kpop stars. And through this course, I was able to explore such wonderful things and backgrounds about the Korean language.

By Yanela G P

May 07, 2017

El curso me ha parecido muy ilustrativo y he aprendido mucho con él. Es la primera vez que estudio este idioma y me ha sido bastante sencillo seguir las clases, eso se debe a que las explicaciones son muy claras. Por el único motivo que no le doy las cinco estrellas es porque a partir de la semana 4 los subtitulos pasaron a estar en inglés en vez de español. Por lo demás un curso excelente.

By antonia g

Sep 01, 2019

Quedaron dudas respecto al vocabulario que no fueron explicadas. Hubo conceptos que fueron incluidos en las conversaciones de las clases y en los cuestionarios que tampoco tuvieron una explicación. Así mismo, sería beneficioso recibir alguna retroalimentación respecto a las preguntas erradas en los cuestionarios. Sin embargo, es un muy buen curso para introducirse al idioma.

By Urvi K

Jul 11, 2016

The course is mind blowing!

With time and patience it is easy to get the language and the phrases.

I only struggled really hard with telling the time.

Also being hard of hearing made it a little hard to pinpoint exactly what time they were talking about.

Overall this course is wonderful and anyone who is interested in basics of Korean should take it!

Thanks a lot!!

By Amy L

Aug 05, 2016

I have been teaching myself (attempting to) Korean via various methods over the past 9 months, but I really enjoyed the structure of this class. It helped me understand WHY sentences/words are structured as they are, instead of just memorizing a lot of vocabulary and cramming too much information in my head at once. Can't wait for more from Yonsei University!

By Kübra A

Sep 13, 2019

Ms. Seung Hae Kang really focused on the pronunciation which was great. The course really helped in lots of aspects and it provided circular teaching method. The only problem for me was the only Korean written parts. As new words can be hard to remember, I could really use a little more English backup in sentence practices. Thanks a lot for the opportunity!

By Cynndi N

Dec 23, 2018

The discussions and the playbacks were essential. However, not sure if it were the audio, but the enunciation would not be as clear as I needed to learn; so I did venture outside the class for other resources. But very interesting to learn about formal/informal and addressing younger/older brother from sister or brother and other language and counting tips.

By Robyn C

Jun 19, 2018

The videos were informative and the lecture notes provided the information written down. Within the notes you can practise the target language again in your own time. The only drawback is that, there should be some more questions. I feel that asking 6 and then 7 is not enough for beginners. I personally already know some Korean and did this to refresh.

By Eima

Dec 17, 2016

very good start to those who love to learn korean and have watched couple of korean drama before (it will help alot at some point in this course) the only thing this that disappoint me was they didnt explain Final Double Consonants, which really make it little harder for me ( actually i went and learnt it from YouTube ) .

but

Huge Thx Yonsei

By Lee Y S J

Dec 07, 2016

Easy to follow the lectures which are systematic and structured. Besides learning grammar, I found that the points about pronunciation were really useful which were not gone through in great detail when I attended Korean classes in language schools due to time constraint. Hope that there will be future classes of higher levels from Yonsei!

By 汪书煜Sylvia

Jun 23, 2016

I learn most of Korean from entertainment programme, but this class help me to correct the pronunciation and learn a lot about the Korean.

This class is easy for all the people who wants to learn the basic Korean and Korean culture, and you can have a better understanding about this lovely beautiful country!

----Shuyu Wang from China

By Victoria P

Nov 15, 2017

I liked the delivery, the choice of topics and vocabulary. Good job inserting the clips of real conversations, it was really motivatingto try to understand what they were saying. Good course for the beginners who are just starting. Howerver, I think the quizzes could be a little bit more challenging, seemed too easy for me.

By Amos T R S

Jun 03, 2017

Could have more lessons regarding communicating in Korea. For example "do you know how to speak English?" , "Could you please lower the price.", etc... I believe most of the students that are attending course would be future tourist or are tourist of the country and this would help with their communication

By Valérie V

Oct 27, 2019

I think the course was well done and very interesting!

The only minus is about the text transcript: except for the first video, all korean text was replaced by [FOREIGN], which makes it useles to take notes. The only transcript who seems to have kept the korean text in the transcript is Simplified chinese.

By Nikita N

Mar 12, 2016

I just previewed the course and the tutorials are hassle free and simple to learn from! I knew a few basic things about Korean and the videos helped me brush up on my past knowledge. I'm looking forward to the current session of the course to begin so I can complete it and be better at Korean!

By Kristyn S

Nov 07, 2016

The videos went a bit fast for me and the course tried to cover too many things in each video in my opinion, but overall it was a good introduction to Korean! The lecture notes were very helpful--I recommend printing them off and using them to follow along with the lecture videos.

By Jean D O O

Jul 20, 2019

¡Me gustó mucho este curso! cada vídeo me enseñó sobre todo lo básico que necesito saber para empezar a aprender coreano. Les recomiendo que se traduzcan mejor los subtítulos en español; los subtítulos de la semana 5 estaban en inglés aunque selecccionara el idioma español.

By Susan E

Feb 25, 2016

I have studied Korean for about 10 months and still found some of the information useful. The numbers and dates always confuse me till this day. Quizzes were on average too easy, just listening or multiple choice. The answers were easy to find without much thought.

By Wilasinee M

Sep 25, 2019

This course is really good for study Korean as a beginner. Study from beginning like alphabet and lecture note are very useful. Also can study daily conversation too. You can practice by yourself with the worksheet and learn how to pronounce like Korean.

By Sofia

Aug 04, 2017

Very useful. This course was informative enough to get me started, but not too loaded with info such that it would make me bored and lose interest. I hope Yonsei will continue with Part 2, 3 etc. in Coursera. Thank you to Coursera and Yonsei University!

By Rachel N

Oct 10, 2019

This is a fantastic course!! It was very informative, explanatory and easy to follow along with. It helped to improve my knowledge of Hangul. I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn to speak, write, read and understand Korean.