Back to Learn to Speak Korean 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Speak Korean 1 by Yonsei University

Welcome to Learn to Speak Korean 1! This course is for beginner students who are familiar with the Korean alphabet, Hangeul. Through this course students will learn the skills essential for daily interactions with Koreans while living in Korea. This course consists of six modules, and each module is composed of five units. Each unit has vocabulary, grammar and expressions, conversation practice, video clips, quizzes, a workbook, and vocabulary lists. In order to assist students with their independent studies, Korean learning materials such as lecture notes, workbooks, and vocabulary lists detailing each day’s lecture are also provided. The vocabulary lists are accompanied by English, Chinese, and Japanese translations. I hope that you enjoy all this program has to offer over the next six weeks. After studying in this program, you will be able to have a real Korean conversation with your newly acquired knowledge of the Korean language. Thank you! Your Course Team Chief Contents Developer: Sang Mee Han Contents Developers: Bock Ja Lee, Yoo Kyung Choi, Ha Min Cho, Ju Eun Kim Production Assistants: Jin Hee Kim, Eun Hye Kim...

AM

Jun 29, 2020

This course really helped me understand and gave a better explanations on stuff that i didn't understand at first. I recommend this to those that are learning or want to learn Korean it very helpful.

IK

Jul 12, 2020

Fantastic course! As a Korean-American, learning grammar has always been tricky for me. Thank you for creating such a well-organized, well-taught course. Looking forward to future courses with you!

1 - 25 of 1,169 Reviews for Learn to Speak Korean 1

By albertnikanorov

Dec 07, 2016

That was amazing journey, but why I rated the course with 4 starts instead of 5?

1) To choose foreign students as an assistants to wonderful Sang Mee Han sonsengnim - good idea for those who aren't comfortable to see first class Korean students with 100% fluent pronunciation - bad idea to those who want to hear fluency to learn how to pronounce words correctly, not...

2) The course is right for people who want to visit Korea in the next month, it's like the lessons were built upon the idea that the visitors have to go the store to buy something, and to go to the restaurants to eat and spend as much money as one person could possibly waste, because they had to use what they had learned. You'll learn only that in this course, in general. What to buy, order.

3) Korea is a high-tech country, and to take the students outside - good idea to see the buildings, nature, and to get some fresh air - bad idea to see how foreign students still misspell very basic words and phrases, and the sound quality is just awful. And it's like the foreign students have no idea about the tone of such a beautiful language, and it's like they are just saying what they had learned by heart before to record the video. As artists - the same.

4) Additional materials are amazing! Thanks for such a great compilation of workbook with what we learned in each lesson. Painful to download and try to find the right lecture materials as the file names are just automatically generated by computer letters and digits. Sure, we could rename each files' name separately by hand - but it has always been easy to download files that ready to go and most importantly - find.

P.S. I'm very grateful to watch the lessons from wonderful Sang Mee Han - she is a great person I believe. For the next time, as I hope there will be second course titles as "Learn To Speak Korean 2", there will be native speakers with native pronunciation and with good audio quality recorded with professional artists. Sounds impossible, but Korea such a country that will make it possible.

By Ty'Raya

Oct 25, 2017

I learned more in this six week course than i did in my year of self teaching Korean. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to advance their Korean after having learned Hangul!

By Andrew G

Apr 06, 2019

It was very informative, fun and really easy to study. Looking forward for the next course "Learn to Speak Korean 2"

Thank you so much for such a great course. And wish you all the best.

By Adam A

Jan 29, 2020

I learned a lot from this course, especially over the week 3 to 6 content. The only critique I have is that (like many other courses) the quizes are too easy. A lot of the quizes have the same answer twice.

I wish the quizes had more questions and the difficulty of the questions were about the same as the final quiz. I struggled on the final quiz, but I could basically skip a lot of content and still cruise through all the previous quizes.

I rushed through the content and the quizes so I am no longer on a timer. To fully benefit from this great course I plan on going back and completing the workbook content that I skipped (every single one). I'm going to give it 5 stars because it's free and a lot of work has been put in, but I do wish it was harder to pass so it was more of an achievement. I should be required to know more than I currently do in order to complete the quizes/weeks. Again, the last quiz is an example of something difficult enough where I'd actually have to complete the week's content to confidently pass. Even just increasing the amount of questions to 15 to 20 would provide a MUCH better representation of how much you've actually learned in that week's content.

There may be a reason why there's only 5 questions per quiz. It may be a limitation of Coursera when offering a free course. If this is the case then please disregard my comments, obviously.

Thank you to Yonsei University for once again providing more useful learning content for free.

By Julieta S V

Jun 01, 2020

Un curso muy útil si ya aprendiste el alfabeto coreano y tienes nociones básicas de la gramática coreana. Creo que algunas personas, como yo, que nos encontramos estudiando el idioma coreano y no vivimos en Corea ni tampoco tenemos un amigo con quien practicar la forma hablada todos los días, podemos sentirnos un poco inseguros sobre cómo formar oraciones correctamente. Pero este curso ayuda a aterrizar de una forma fácil cómo se hacen oraciones básicas y de la vida diaria en coreano y realmente me ayudó mucho a sentar las bases que ya había aprendido, repasar vocabulario y ver ejemplos reales de cómo se habla el coreano.

By Maxine E

Jun 04, 2020

Enjoyed this course! It has helped me begin my journey towards conversing in Korean.

It's a good blend of listening, speaking, grammar, and worksheets. I'm really happy that I took this course.

By Hannah D

Mar 23, 2019

This course is a complete package in itself. I have learned a lot and improved my Korean as well. The professor was great and the lessons are well curated. I enjoyed every bit of this course!

By Alyssa R

Mar 05, 2019

This course had extremely great explanations and course material. I learned the entire course in a memorable way and I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to learn a new language!

By Katlego M

Mar 06, 2019

My sister and I have learnt so much from this course and we especially love the lecture that teaches. The way in which she explains in very effective, wish she had more courses to teach

By Mur

Jan 26, 2019

사랑해요

감사합니다^^

By Amelia R

Jun 14, 2020

I'll start by saying that the teacher is amazing and I loved this course so much! As someone who got into korean music few (3-4) years ago, I knew nothing more except basic phrases like hello and 'I love you", as well as that I taught myself how to read and write hangul, but this course made me feel like I learned so much. The words and sentences structures taught here are great for beginners who are new to korean and teach us the words in situations we'd be likely to encounter as a tourist in Korea. With this course, you learn very useful verbs and words used for shopping, ordering food at restaurants, asking for prices and negotiating prices in stores or in markets, as well as basic things such as talking about your hobbies and the weather. You should definitely keep a notebook to write down the notes, and also look out for useful words in the dialogues at the end of each video, since some words aren't included in the vocabulary list! Overall, this is an amazing course and it really set me up to continue learning Korean at a beginner level.

By Carrie W

Jan 14, 2019

This is an excellent course and I am pleased with the conversational skills it teaches. It teaches using everyday conversational dialogue. I am very happy with this course and I recommend it to anyone who is willing to learn the Korean language. In fact, I will take it again to reinforce my absorption of the grammar and listening skills.

By Anita F

May 04, 2020

It was excellent! The course work was very thorough and the supporting videos were effective and detailed. Overall, the course was challenging enough yet easy to manage with a work schedule.

By Miriam C M M

Jun 07, 2020

Pienso que es un curso bastante útil, y si sabes el alfabeto coreano y mínimo los números del 1 al 10 (tanto en el sistema nativo como chino) te será mas fácil entender las lecciones y pasar los quiz con buena puntuación, y aunque hay 1 o 2 lecciones en las que te aburrirás de tanta gramática, creo que si tienes perseverancia lo lograras, pues las ultimas lecciones son muy fáciles y no aburren para nada, recomiendo mucho este curso, todas las lecciones están muy bien explicadas, y cuando termines el curso podrás hablar o entender de manera mas fluida ciertas expresiones

By Rodolfo V

Jan 09, 2020

Great course. I had already learned the korean alfabet and this course was a very good introduction to the language itself. The basics you need to start speaking the Korean language.

The teacher is good and the pace is nice. I am just sad there is no "Learn to Speak Korean 2", but I hope they will do it in the future.

I trully recommend this course for anyone who wants to learn Korean and doesn't know anything about it, except the alfabet itself. It is really important to know the alfabet before starting this couse. Fortunately, that was my case...

By Isaac K

Jul 12, 2020

By Nuha A

Jun 19, 2018

this course is nice, the structure of the lessons is simple and easy to follow, the videos are short which reduce the chance for getting bored, i recommend this course for the beginners

By Joeylyn M L

Dec 21, 2018

This is really helpful!

By 支阳光

Jan 06, 2019

h很适合学习 很好德老师

By Mrinali D S

Jul 26, 2020

I loved learning with the Yonsei University. I got idea of many things in general for being able to learn more using self study. I am really confident to speak enough Korean with new Korean and Other friends too. This also helped me to understand Korean Dramas in a better way without the help of at least a few subtitles more than just Thank you, Sorry and names of the characters along with some other action verbs often known to many non-Korean K-Drama fans as well. I really glad to have this knowledge. Thank you so much to both Coursera for giving this opportunity of learning and Yonsei for giving abundant knowledge of Korean Language to be satisfied with this course and confident to speak in Korean.

By Eli I

Jun 18, 2018

I've been learning Korean for a while before this, but it was a good return to basics and definitely a more organized way to study. I feel my listening skills have improved a bit because of this course; additionally I learned a few words I hadn't seen up to now as well.The teacher was very nice and professional and I appreciated her simply style and delivery. The reenactments seemed a little... forced(?) at times, but they got the point across. Especially considering each speaker had a different style/speed of pronouncing their sentences (something you'd probably encounter in real life, no doubt).All in all, a great course.

By MOHAMAD A Z

A good course for beginners. As they have mentioned in the introduction, students MUST know hangul before enrolling into this course. The lessons teach common daily expressions that students can use on a daily basis like self-introduction, buying and exchanging things at the shop etc. Right after this course, you can go shopping in full Korean without any worries. The speaking exercise has both a native and non-native Korean speakers. So, you can hear the pronunciation difference. Notes provided are good too because they provide the used vocabularies in each lesson along with their meanings.

By Xenia S

Sep 12, 2017

It was a great course. The course provides practice of pronunciation from both a native speaker (the teacher) and diverse foreign students. The key point about this course, for myself, was the grammar part of the lessons/units, which were (VERY) useful for a beginners level.

A concern would have to be the repetitiveness of the tests, by which I mean that sometimes there was a sense of a 'follow-up' question which gave the answer to previous ones (there's 5 questions in each test).

All in all, I'm grateful for any kind of a 'step-by-step' lessons provided by a trustworthy source:)

By Jeremy W

Jul 24, 2020

Excellent course for those already familiar with Hangul (Korean writing system). Each 10-15 minute lesson progresses the course at a reasonable pace, demonstrating the content through multiple varied exercises. Most importantly, each lesson provides a few dramatized practical conversations to contextualize the newly learned grammar and vocabulary. Usually these conversations include one or two words or sentence structures that challenge the student to study beyond what is provided in the lesson.

The course is expertly crafted and I would love to see a "Learn to Speak Korean 2!"

By Yvette M

Dec 12, 2016

What an awesome beginner course! The instructor is superb! The students performing in the videos were great! The entire structure of each unit is built upon previous material. Yonsei utilizes this important element for long term memory consolidation. I learned a great deal. I now understand the finer points of grammar, such as particle usage, counters, and how to properly construct grammatically correct sentences. This course has given me a solid foundation in which to build upon. I wish that Yonsei University would offer an intermediate course :) Thank you so much!!