Back to Learn to Speak Korean 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Speak Korean 1 by Yonsei University

Welcome to Learn to Speak Korean 1! This course is for beginner students who are familiar with the Korean alphabet, Hangeul. Through this course students will learn the skills essential for daily interactions with Koreans while living in Korea. This course consists of six modules, and each module is composed of five units. Each unit has vocabulary, grammar and expressions, conversation practice, video clips, quizzes, a workbook, and vocabulary lists. In order to assist students with their independent studies, Korean learning materials such as lecture notes, workbooks, and vocabulary lists detailing each day’s lecture are also provided. The vocabulary lists are accompanied by English, Chinese, and Japanese translations. I hope that you enjoy all this program has to offer over the next six weeks. After studying in this program, you will be able to have a real Korean conversation with your newly acquired knowledge of the Korean language. Thank you! Your Course Team Chief Contents Developer: Sang Mee Han Contents Developers: Bock Ja Lee, Yoo Kyung Choi, Ha Min Cho, Ju Eun Kim Production Assistants: Jin Hee Kim, Eun Hye Kim...

KN
Aug 31, 2021

Perfectly explained in each short videos. Learnt a lot of the basic grammars, vocab and phonetics. Now, just need to practice speaking it out loud. =) Hope to have "learn to speak korean 2" though. =)

JD
Jan 17, 2021

I find it hard and confusing at first but eventually I had fun. I love Korea so much that is why I want to learn Hangul. Also I will visit Korea when the pandemic is over. Thank you Yonsei University.

26 - 50 of 2,034 Reviews for Learn to Speak Korean 1

By Mrinali D S

Jul 26, 2020

I loved learning with the Yonsei University. I got idea of many things in general for being able to learn more using self study. I am really confident to speak enough Korean with new Korean and Other friends too. This also helped me to understand Korean Dramas in a better way without the help of at least a few subtitles more than just Thank you, Sorry and names of the characters along with some other action verbs often known to many non-Korean K-Drama fans as well. I really glad to have this knowledge. Thank you so much to both Coursera for giving this opportunity of learning and Yonsei for giving abundant knowledge of Korean Language to be satisfied with this course and confident to speak in Korean.

By Eli I

Jun 18, 2018

I've been learning Korean for a while before this, but it was a good return to basics and definitely a more organized way to study. I feel my listening skills have improved a bit because of this course; additionally I learned a few words I hadn't seen up to now as well.The teacher was very nice and professional and I appreciated her simply style and delivery. The reenactments seemed a little... forced(?) at times, but they got the point across. Especially considering each speaker had a different style/speed of pronouncing their sentences (something you'd probably encounter in real life, no doubt).All in all, a great course.

By MOHAMAD A Z

A good course for beginners. As they have mentioned in the introduction, students MUST know hangul before enrolling into this course. The lessons teach common daily expressions that students can use on a daily basis like self-introduction, buying and exchanging things at the shop etc. Right after this course, you can go shopping in full Korean without any worries. The speaking exercise has both a native and non-native Korean speakers. So, you can hear the pronunciation difference. Notes provided are good too because they provide the used vocabularies in each lesson along with their meanings.

By Xenia S

Sep 12, 2017

It was a great course. The course provides practice of pronunciation from both a native speaker (the teacher) and diverse foreign students. The key point about this course, for myself, was the grammar part of the lessons/units, which were (VERY) useful for a beginners level.

A concern would have to be the repetitiveness of the tests, by which I mean that sometimes there was a sense of a 'follow-up' question which gave the answer to previous ones (there's 5 questions in each test).

All in all, I'm grateful for any kind of a 'step-by-step' lessons provided by a trustworthy source:)

By Jeremy W

Jul 24, 2020

Excellent course for those already familiar with Hangul (Korean writing system). Each 10-15 minute lesson progresses the course at a reasonable pace, demonstrating the content through multiple varied exercises. Most importantly, each lesson provides a few dramatized practical conversations to contextualize the newly learned grammar and vocabulary. Usually these conversations include one or two words or sentence structures that challenge the student to study beyond what is provided in the lesson.

The course is expertly crafted and I would love to see a "Learn to Speak Korean 2!"

By Yvette M

Dec 11, 2016

What an awesome beginner course! The instructor is superb! The students performing in the videos were great! The entire structure of each unit is built upon previous material. Yonsei utilizes this important element for long term memory consolidation. I learned a great deal. I now understand the finer points of grammar, such as particle usage, counters, and how to properly construct grammatically correct sentences. This course has given me a solid foundation in which to build upon. I wish that Yonsei University would offer an intermediate course :) Thank you so much!!

By Stéphanie S

Oct 23, 2019

I LOVED this course. I was browing through the reviews and was encouraged to pursue the course after people said that it taught them more in 6 weeks than in one year of self-study. I have been studying Korean for 6 months now and though, obviously, knowing Hangeul has helped, I really lacked in simple sentences constructions, daily life conversations and speaking practice. What a pleasure it was to be able to apply what I have learned in this course at the Korean restaurant ! Looking forward to more Yonsei contents. Thank you so much for this series !

By Kim K N

Sep 1, 2021

By Selena A

Aug 7, 2020

This course is helpful and easy to understand for those who want to speak Korean, especially those who don't use Korean as native language. Thank you so much for teaching us, Mrs Han. God bless!

By Vianney B R

Nov 6, 2020

I´m really looking forward to study Learn to Speak Korean 2.

Please don´t let students like me wait for too long, I want to learn Korean so much.

Thank you for this course!!!

By Büşra G

Oct 16, 2017

As the dialogs have korean and english subtitles and the instructor repeats every new word several times this course is super effective.

Thanks to the instructor so much!

By Sara M d

Jul 21, 2021

After almost two weeks, spending 2-4 hours per day, I have finished the course.

It was a pleasant experience. I knew previously to enroll how Yonsei University structures its courses, but this one was more likable than the first I took (First Step to Korean).

The materials provided were quite useful, specifically the workbook. Love it. Easy and short, but perfect to summarize the lesson. Also, the vocabulary list was superb. The variety of dialogues, scenarios, and accents from the students and professor was useful.

If I must complain about something, it would be the briefness of the videos and workbook. If they could extend both, it would be fantastic.

A little tip for those who are doubtful to enroll in the course or just as a studying tip for everyone is to record yourself during the pronunciation practice and dialogues. You would learn and practice your speaking, at the same time you will memorize the sentence structure, when, and how to use it. Another tip would be, make your own sentences taking as reference the ones provided in the videos and workbook. You will play with the words, and structure, making it easier for you to memorize them.

I would 100% recommend it. If you know how to write and read Hangeul, some basic concepts of grammar, and a little vocabulary, this course is perfect for you if you want to learn and delve into more grammatical concepts, vocabulary, and everyday conversations. It is perfect for those who just want to review some basic concepts too.

And, that's it.

By Angelina S

Aug 24, 2021

amaaaazing plus its all free please make another one <3

* but i do have something tiny to suggest, using students as...what do you call it? okay "people who pronounce the example sentences"... yeah not a very good idea. i understand miss sang mee han even at 2x speed when she speaks korean because i understand korean when its pronounced right, courtesy of kdramas, but the students' pronounciation? it sounds so unnatural that i always had to look at the subtitles in korean to understand what they were trying to say. one of them, (she mentioned she's from japan, osaka if my memory serves me right) i feel like her pronounciation was the closest to a A native speaker, michael(from LA?) wasn't too far behind as well. hopefully we can have example sentences by native speakers next time, or advanced speakers who are fluent and have good pronounciation. thank you!

By Cherrie M S

Nov 29, 2020

I'm glad I took this course as my first lesson in learning the Korean language. The modules cover important lessons that will be handy whether you want to just get around Korea comfortably as a traveler or take your practice to the next level. I like how all the modules and exercises were practical for simple conversations and how the grammar structures were introduced - not overwhelming and designed with usefulness and challenge levels in mind. I find that it is best complemented with other learning methods such as videos and podcasts that help one become more familiar with vocabulary and practical use of the grammar taught in the modules.

By Wayland C

Mar 17, 2021

This course is fantastic. I have learnt so much about Korean, the language and the people. Now I need to consolidate my understanding by going through the course material. Although I have to say that the Quiz is a bit too easy, not that I got 100% right in all, it could be made more challenging. I would like to thank Professor San Mee Hang for her effort. Her teaching style is just right and I greatly appreciate that. I hope I could visit Korea in a not distant future. Meanwhile, I will keep learning and practise as much as possible. I am looking for other Korean course in the future. Keep up with the great and good work.

By M

Jun 3, 2021

T​hank you YONSEI UNIVERSITY for organising the online korean language learning programme.I found the study material very comprehensive and unique with detailed examples in conversation..which is what language is all about. I would like to thank our instructor Madam Sang Mee Han who made the learning process more enjoyable by her sweet voice.her presentation skills made the tough conversations seemed very fliud...Congratulations to COURSERA team for the success of korean language learning program..Looking forward to more Korean language programme in the next months.

By Lucas F B C

Oct 15, 2021

es muy bueno , me ayudo a entender temas que no podía estudiar por mi cuenta , muy agradable los videos de enseñanza y los estudiantes que se presentan en el. ya que son estudiantes extranjeros y esto ayuda a escuchar como suena la diferencia de un extranjero y un nativo al pronunciar el idioma coreano. Y, además la profesora es muy profesional y muy agradable de escuchar, la explicación es muy buena y siempre me hizo sentir muy cómodo en clases. muchas gracias por ofrecer este curso. me ayudo y lo disfrute mucho.

(me agradaría mucho si existieran mas niveles.)

By Lydia P

Jun 22, 2021

Very well organized syllabus! Each video brings you into a scenario that's useful for daily living and introduces vocabulary and grammar in a meaningful way and at an acceptable speed. The lecture notes are also well written and capture almost everything within the videos so there's less need to make your own notes. There is also a vocabulary list tabulated for each week's learning. This is super helpful as some other courses do not provide such detailed records of learning. Thanks for making me continuously want to learn Korean through these motivating units!

By Keisha S

Jul 31, 2019

Going into this course, there were many things that I already knew how to do or say, so I did treat this kind of like a refresher. And dude, this was a pretty good refresher! There were grammar marks and vocab words that I had forgotten over time and even some that I had never learned before! It's so true when they say that you can't just use one source to learn a language. I'm glad that I took this course, as it has helped me test my memorization and fix my pronunciation mistakes. This was a well worth accomplishment. <3

By Jeannette C

Aug 16, 2020

In the past year, I’ve explored countless beginning Korean courses online. “Learn to Speak Korean 1” through Coursera is hands-down the best one available. Each bite-sized lesson covers grammar, vocabulary & pronunciaton with ample practice in speaking, reading & listening skills. This course is beautifully designed with clarity & simplicity so learning Korean is almost (emphasis on *almost*) easy! Please, please Yonsei University & Coursera, please offer “Learn to Speak Korean 2”!!! I’ll be the first to sign up! 감사합니다!

By Genesis J T

Nov 16, 2020

Professor Sang Mee Han explained everything pretty well! The course was challenging enough that I couldn't be lazy, but easy enough for me to follow. I think the first two modules were the ones I'd make the most use of, but the other modules definitely added to my knowledge of the language in terms of sentence construction and nuances.

I have also become a fan of Professor Sang throughout the past six weeks. I hope to make her proud one day with a nice conversation at a cafe or restaurant, and maybe order food for her.

By Viktoriya S U

Aug 30, 2018

The structure of the lectures was amazing and logical. It included all listening, speaking and writing skills. The information was presented in an enjoyable way and the students participating were fun to listen to. The additional paper given after every lecture was useful and helpful. The tests in the end were also quite enjoyable. All in all the project is not lacking in anything and I would recommended to friends and family. I had once in a life time experience learning from this.

Thank you so much!

By Jenifer L

Feb 12, 2021

O curso é uma imersão à cultura coreana e traz para o aluno o entendimento de como se expressar em situações do cotidiano. É possível a compreensão da gramática e assimilar vocabulários por meio dos diálogos apresentados ao longo dos módulos. Este curso é recomendado para aqueles que possuem conhecimento do alfabeto coreano. É pela prática e dedicação que se leva à fluência da língua coreana, assim como qualquer outra língua. Learn to Speak Korean 1 é só o início.

Sang Mee Han 선생님하고 연세대학교, 감사합니다!

By Tharushi w

Oct 8, 2021

T​he course is completely awesome, i am in awe, its so eassy and comvienient to follow if you are going with a computer or a laptop, a bit inconvienient with mobile devices i believe, but its so simple and esasy to use.

i​ recommend the staff to make the tests a bit more longer and a bit harder. please make more courses on korean, maybe on daily phrases or some.

i​ really like the dialogue session at the end of the session, of real uni students using the terms, its fun.

t​hank you for this course.