Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

AG
Dec 15, 2020

Great course for refreshing your python basics, and any beginner looking to pick up Python basics will be in a comfortable spot after completing this course and a bit of practice with the assignments.

226 - 250 of 1,527 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Seok L

Jan 30, 2018

It was very useful to learn Python from scratch to an intermediate level along with basic knowledge to software developing environment. A knowledge obtained from this course can be applied not only to Python but also to all generic programming languages.

By Biayna G

May 7, 2017

The provided materials, along with the many exercises and assignments were extremely helpful in understanding and mastering the material. The videos were very clear and easy to follow, while the tutors' explanations and displayed examples helped greatly.

By Laurens S

Mar 22, 2020

Awesome course, well structured and 3 great/fun/interesting assignments. Chance to get stuck on exercises is rather low (can only happen if you are a truely complete newbie to programming), but then you still have to forums to back you up in that case!

By Lim H L

Dec 8, 2016

Excellent course! I have some background in other programming languages and went through the course to reinforce the basic concepts and to learn python. Overall, the quiz and assignments are challenging to a certain extent and is perfect for beginners!

By Paulius M

Dec 28, 2020

Great for complete beginners! Easy to understand. Though what I would like more is if tests had a little more writing and less choosing from already comprised answers, because in some cases it seemed quite easy to pass without actually understanding.

By Yuye W

Dec 7, 2020

It is a very good course for someone with no coding background like me. During the course, TAs are very responsive if you have questions and post in forum. I learned a lot of fundamental knowledge here and instructors and TAs are doing a great job.

By HEYBAR S

Aug 1, 2020

It was interesting to learn basic conceps about Phyton, the friendly platform used by teachers to explain every topic helped me a lot to understand and advance throught the course. I am motivated to get another course. Many thanks Jennifer and Paul.

By Ross W

Jun 17, 2020

Great course, doesn't cover a huge amount of ground - I guess that's why it's called "The Fundamentals"! The lessons are great and explain the concepts covered in them very well. I would definitely recommend this for anybody starting out in python.

By Maryam I

Aug 12, 2020

A very helpful course indeed ! It started with very basic concept of programming and then the instructors and the mentor taught as a fun activity. I completed the course while enjoying the environment and now I have a good friendship with python !

By Bin L

Jul 7, 2020

It's a little difficult for people who use English as a second language. I need to spend more time to repeatedly understand the meaning of the knowledge in the course. But finally I finished the course, and the course is very friendly to beginners.

By Raymond L

Jan 8, 2017

I think the textbook used is an excellent primer in computer science and python. The course has a good pace, lots of examples, and a good breath. I would have liked if the course covered the whole book, and I wish the instructors were less rigid.

By Kelly H

Mar 28, 2020

I have very limited skills before this and part of my job was to be able to closely communicate with the software engineers. This course gave me new insights to programming, it's not the easiest course, but I'm really happy that I accomplished it!

By John P

May 16, 2017

Excellent course! Teaches you the basics of Python including good coding practices like adding docstrings, commenting code etc. I would like to thank all mentors, instructors and coursera for giving this wonderful opportunity to learn Programming.

By Dillon L

Sep 12, 2017

Assignments and quizzes are tough but really get you to apply whatever they teach you throughout the lessons. Very easy to follow and understand what is being taught. Would recommend to anyone who wants to take their first steps into programming.

By Borin S

Mar 16, 2017

Very well designed course, from the very beginner to intermediate. the teacher are very good too.

very well-balanced between concepts and coding. Excellent for someone who looks for a course that gives an idea and how to actually makes it happen.

By Aleksandar M

Nov 10, 2016

I got exactly what i expected from this course - great starting point on my journey to master Python. Thank you professor Campbell and professor Gries and thank you all others who were involved in creating this course whose names we don't know.

By Darren B

Feb 13, 2017

This course taught me a lot and I am now on my way to learn advance Python. I am really happy I saw this course and took it. I am looking forward to more courses in this category from the University of Toronto. Thanks for this excellent course!

By Lance K

Apr 10, 2020

Great course for beginners! I had a minimum of experience prior to this, and I was cruising through the final exam by the end. Great balance of increasing difficulty vs accessibility. Highly recommend as a place to start your Python journey.

By Nitin C

Jun 7, 2017

The best thing about this course is it starts with the basics and goes to just the right depth that a beginner who is serious about getting into programming needs. The content is one of the best introductions to Python that I have come across.

By Стрельникова К С

Jun 11, 2018

This is a great course for beginners. It gives you a glimpse into Python's syntaxis and its functions. It is enought to understand if you want to continue to learn Python in the future. The tasks are challenging enough if you are a beginner.

By Edgar L V

Aug 17, 2017

I had many "Intro to Programming in Python" options, and this one really helped me "break the ice". I am already recommending it to friends and I'll keep doing it to everyone I meet that is interested in initiating programming. Great course!

By Tianyue F

Jan 25, 2017

It's very fundamental and easy to understand. If you have no knowledge of programming, I strongly recommend you this course. However, if you have some basic knowledge of whatever programming language, the course may be a little bit simple.

By Yuliya K

May 10, 2021

This course cover the basics of python, so it wasn't challenging at all for me. But many details were very useful. Lecturers are very good. And this course offers sooooo many opportunities for practice. I strongly recommend this course.