Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

AG
Dec 15, 2020

Great course for refreshing your python basics, and any beginner looking to pick up Python basics will be in a comfortable spot after completing this course and a bit of practice with the assignments.

1501 - 1519 of 1,519 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Giuseppe B

Aug 31, 2017

I just finished Lesson 1 and I have already found some issues:

They said that if you divide 2 int you will always get a float number... That is incorrect because it depends on your Python's version.

Ex: Python 2.7.13 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08)

[GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux2

>>> 8 / 7

EXAM Questions

What is the value of x after this statement x = 12 / 3.

I answered 4 and the system considered my answer wrong. I presume the correct answer was x=4

What is the value after executing this round(45.342).

I answered 45.0 and again, the system considered it wrong. (This is really unacceptable that the system is unaware that 45 == 45.0)

I will give this course the benefit of the doubt and keep going on with my next lesson.

By Jen Y

Nov 24, 2020

As a complete beginner, I was disheartened to have the same questions as others from as far back as 4 years ago in the course discussion forum and have the material presented not updated to reflect the information to answer these questions. It's frustrating and shows me a lack of actual involvement of the instructors that they won't update their course material. If I wanted to have to research all the answers to my questions, I wouldn't have taken a course.

By Nate P

Jan 11, 2020

Largely uses less efficient, outdated, and counter-intuitive code to teach Python. If I had someone who learned Python from this course added to my team it would take months to correct the bad behavior they learned here.

By Greg T

Jan 30, 2017

Very rushed, incomplete examples and gaps in content. I'm not sure what audience Coursera is aiming for, but it doesn't seem to be anyone who doesn't already know a programming language.

By Emma L

Jul 21, 2017

The course should include more examples and tasks for students. Also all the question areas in quiz'es and tests should be covered by the open lectures. Felt like incomplete course.

By JAIDEN G W E

Dec 14, 2020

Not as expected. I find it hard to keep up with the pace and the assignments.

By Cipriano E M

Jun 11, 2018

It complicates things that are supposed to be simple and explainable.

By Boray E

Feb 6, 2020

Material presented is good for beginners but the courses are boring.

By عصام ع ا

Mar 13, 2021

Is there’s any mistake in the test number 2

By Karime A C

Dec 6, 2017

To many quizes per video and too much Teory

By 19BCA180-VIJAYA S R B

Sep 18, 2020

I could not get my course certificate

By Islam T

Apr 6, 2020

Очень непонятные задания.

May 9, 2020

The video tutorial test questions focus in on details irrelevant to programming which can cause a beginner programmer to totally lose focus on coding, and instead become discouraged by their strength in mathematics. Spend more time on exploring the basics of Python, and less time giving users trouble over petty mathematical discrepancies during the interactive potion of the video tutorials.. or at least offer greater detail in righting an incorrect response. This shakes the confidence of beginner users and makes them feel like programming is beyond their ability and understanding, just because they cannot rearrange a math question in the desired order, when at the end of the day, Python can solve the expression regardless as to whether the user enter multiplication or division first!

By moustafa

Jul 21, 2020

outdated ,

video lectures are from 8 years ago , which is like a century in terms of programming.

although the material maybe useful , most of the programming exercises deal with an IDLE that is in 2012 so features are different than IDLE in 2020 . I don't want to spend most of my time trying to figure how they did something in 2012.

By Ana M

Oct 20, 2020

Very poorly designed course, they only focus on mac and don't even explain that everything works differently on windows, yet they take time to make you listen to elementary school level math in the first week materials.

By ishita m

Oct 27, 2020

i would like a refund, not a well-designed course at all.

Extremely disappointed