Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

GA

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

MI

Oct 03, 2015

This is an amazing class. It makes my professional life easy as well as my personal life. Everybody should take this class, and also the teachers are brilliant about all subjects that we see in class.

51 - 75 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Ivan B

Jun 14, 2017

The course has useful information, but I think it was a little superficial and too focused on studying for exams, instead of focused on studying for your professional life or just intelectual self development.

By Leena

Mar 21, 2018

The reason I gave just 1 rating is nor because course is well designed or bad content. I gave simply 1 rating because inspite of very intresting course content, voice quality is very bad. Specially when Barbara speaks, I tried to listen her with higest volume but she was not speaking louder enough.So I decided to sto stop the course. I didn't even complete week 1. I LOST MY INTEREST

By Rohan M

Oct 06, 2017

I am very much grateful for the video. But I find the videos very much boring. Further, the concepts were not new as well. I believe that rating and giving an honest feedback would help the community.

By Nirmal S

Oct 18, 2015

Practical tips are few, and neuroscience is not the title of the course, but is widely discussed. The title implies "Tools for learning" but I didn't get anything useful out of this course.

By Liliana S R M

Feb 01, 2016

This course did not motivate me at all. Videos where mainly repetitive and the questions seemed to be there to serve no purpose.

By mohamad w a

Sep 29, 2016

I

By Jacques K

Jul 05, 2019

Exceptional course. I work on personal development now for 13 years, have for example read from scott h young a decade ago - and now he is interviewed here and mentioned. Great to see one of my "teachers" featured here.

I have a bachelors and masters degree, recently got some more hard certifications (AWS cloud architect and developer) and needed a way to even learn more and more efficiently in the future both for work / career and personal life.

iI want to learn davinci resolve video cutting, improve in photography, photoshop. lightroom.

As mentioned, i have been working towards personal dvelopment for 13 years, read though about 50 books and 1000 pages of blog posts, but never retained much info - now i have the tools to retain that info, test myself on it, and use spaced repetition to retain it for a decade. Discuss it with my wife to even more deepen the knowledge. Use pomodoro and other techniques to really do my courses 100 percent and not loose interest after 10%.

Thanks Barbara and Terence for this great course which is a lifechanger for me even after i already gained so much knowledge in my past 38 years on this earth.

This course should be mandatory in every school education all of the world as it explains the PROCESS of learning and not just focused on the PRODUCT. I wish, i knew about this course when i was 15 or even 20 years only (now that i am 38).

By Hongmei L

Mar 24, 2019

I decided to take several online courses to help advance my career, and all of them are new subjects to me. When I was at school, I had no problem passing all the tests needed, but I don't feel I retained the knowledge as well as some of my classmates did after the semester (and all the tests) was (were) over. Nowadays in real life, there are projects to be completed and I kept on procrastinating to the last minute. It's rather stressful to handle work responsibilities this way. I am grateful that this course provides many practical techniques that I can utilize in my daily work and my self-learning plans, from how to avoid procrastination, how to retain more from what is learned, to how to make weekly/daily learning plans. Highly recommended to anyone who is serious about learning and is looking for strategies to learn effectively.

By tio w

Jan 19, 2019

As someone who has taken "the science of everyday thinking" on EDX, I thought there'd be no online courses that are as insightful, transformative, and broadly applicable in life as it is until I discovered "Learning how to learn" on Coursera. Although both share some similar advice and tips, LHTL has a much more in-depth look at human brains' way of absorbing and processing information from a neuroscientific point of view. Not to mention that both instructors are highly respected and excellent at presenting knowledge throughout the whole course. I genuinely hope that this course can reach more and more people trying to lead a more productive and meaningful life.

By Valentin L K

Feb 09, 2020

A very comprehensive course on the subject of learning. I have used the research-backed methods taught in this course to improve my learning and not only did I gain a better understanding of the material I was studying but as an adult/lifelong learner, I use the techniques in this course to retain a lot more of my daily reading on various subjects.

I also strongly recommend (to everyone not just Math/Science majors) reading Dr. Barbara Oakley's "A Mind for Numbers" - which is a very useful complementary text for the course.

By Xhely

Apr 17, 2020

I really loved this course. It wasn't love at first sight, of course, and the first date didn't catch me at all. But as I progressed, I became more and more interested, until I finally loved it.

It is a course that I recommend for people of all ages, as we are constantly learning throughout life. But I recommend it above all to parents, as this way they can guide their children much better in the learning process.

I would have loved to know this material long before, but it's never too late :) I learned a lot,

Thank you!

By Tatsiana S

Jan 28, 2019

This course is really beneficial! I am so amazed that every statement here is based on proven scientific facts. And we can use every piece of knowledge from this course in our real life. I could not stop to return to this video day by day until I finished. It is really the first course on Coursera I have completed. I appreciate authors amazing work and look forward to Part II.

By Kenneth A L

Feb 08, 2020

This is a brilliant course. It has taught me so much. Sometimes I was skeptical as when it was suggested that switching from focused to diffused mode of thinking can solve problems: but I tried it out and it really works! Chunking, memory, testing, procrastination avoidance etc.; all are covered and the techniques used allow you to really learn and master a subject.

By Kavya M

May 03, 2020

This course was amazing!! Would recommend it to anyone. The professors Barbara Ma'am and Terry Sir were very engaging and really friendly. The tips given by them to avoid Illusion of Competence and Procrastination really proved to be helpful. If you are looking for some better ways to learn and to make most out of our study time, this course is for you.

By Ermelinda M

Apr 18, 2020

As a lifelong learner I found this course extremely useful.It was worthy of investing my time in learning how to learn.I gained noteworthy takeaways from this course.Grateful to Dr,Oakley and Dr,Sejnovski for their excellent teaching.Much appreciated the interviews that associated the course.Highly recommended to everyo

By Monica J

Jan 16, 2019

Wonderful course to understand how to build sessions for different learners, what to incorporate in learning for maximising learning. From a student perspective I think a lot of what we have done in school but forget to do as adult learners, that we still need to be the child when it comes to learning

By Massy R R

Apr 30, 2020

I think as human we constantly learning, but sometimes we learn hard but may not necessarily effective. Through this course, I learned the scientific reasons why some techniques are effective and some are not. I also learned simple techniques that I can apply in my learning process.

By Eduardo T Z

Mar 22, 2019

I wish this would be taught in schools at early age and through out. Many fail because many don't have a frame of study to rely on. This is a course that has help me have a more grounded study habit that works.

By Daniela D

Jan 15, 2019

This course gave me a new perspective on how to approach learning anything new from now on. Would have loved to have been aware of the concepts and ideas discussed in these chapters while I was still in school!

By Linda

This class really focused on the process of learning. It taught me so much. I even shared ideas with my college and high school student. They were surprised as some concepts were helpful to them also.

By Kenrick S T

Apr 10, 2020

Practical and simple - 1) outlines relatable misconceptions and 2) provides clear solutions that I'll surely apply to my own learning goals ASAP. Very few "filler" videos, which were interesting anyway.