Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

RB
Mar 13, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

MC
Oct 28, 2019

I enjoyed this course so much. I learned a lot about how I can become a better learner. This course was very interesting and useful. I have some tools that I can use to optimize my learning potential.

51 - 75 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Ferry V

Oct 13, 2016

Videos aren't of good quality and the tools aren't concrete enough to be useful. There is not enough material. I hope they will improve it because the subject is interesting.

By Catherine A

May 29, 2017

It over simplifies everything... The only thing that is remotely difficult is reading the quiz, not because the questions are hard but because they have been written poorly.

By Harry L

Mar 1, 2018

Incredibly dated I couldn't stay engaged

By Samia K

Dec 26, 2017

fine

By Джонаттан М В О

Jul 31, 2020

At some point, I questioned my brain´s hability to hold information. I felt frustrated by not being able to retain information effectively and ended up having the felling that I wasted the time studying something that weeks later I would have forgotten. However, after taking this wonderful and extremely useful course, I am aware that the problem was not my ability to learn or something related to my brain, but instead I realized I have not being using the right tools to enhance my learning process and achieve better results. Learning is the most important tool to develop mastery in any field. Unfortunately at school we are not though how to learn, and this course without a doubt provides a deep understanding of how our brains and memory works, and more importantly it provides several tools that are easily applicable in learning any subject increasing the changes to succeed. Thanks a lot Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr Terrence Sejnowski for sharing such a powerful knowledge and tools.

By Takako M

Jun 9, 2020

The most useful topic for me was how to

treat "procrastination." Through this course, I noticed that I have more time for study than I thought. It happened because I could tackle procrastination. Other topics - focus mode and defuse mode, self-testing, working memory and long-term memory- were all interesting and useful for me. Thank you!

By Ivan B

Jun 13, 2017

The course has useful information, but I think it was a little superficial and too focused on studying for exams, instead of focused on studying for your professional life or just intelectual self development.

By Leena B

Mar 21, 2018

The reason I gave just 1 rating is nor because course is well designed or bad content. I gave simply 1 rating because inspite of very intresting course content, voice quality is very bad. Specially when Barbara speaks, I tried to listen her with higest volume but she was not speaking louder enough.So I decided to sto stop the course. I didn't even complete week 1. I LOST MY INTEREST

By Rohan M

Oct 6, 2017

I am very much grateful for the video. But I find the videos very much boring. Further, the concepts were not new as well. I believe that rating and giving an honest feedback would help the community.

By Liliana S R M

Feb 1, 2016

This course did not motivate me at all. Videos where mainly repetitive and the questions seemed to be there to serve no purpose.

By Marwan S

Sep 29, 2016

I

By Jacques K

Jul 5, 2019

Exceptional course. I work on personal development now for 13 years, have for example read from scott h young a decade ago - and now he is interviewed here and mentioned. Great to see one of my "teachers" featured here.

I have a bachelors and masters degree, recently got some more hard certifications (AWS cloud architect and developer) and needed a way to even learn more and more efficiently in the future both for work / career and personal life.

iI want to learn davinci resolve video cutting, improve in photography, photoshop. lightroom.

As mentioned, i have been working towards personal dvelopment for 13 years, read though about 50 books and 1000 pages of blog posts, but never retained much info - now i have the tools to retain that info, test myself on it, and use spaced repetition to retain it for a decade. Discuss it with my wife to even more deepen the knowledge. Use pomodoro and other techniques to really do my courses 100 percent and not loose interest after 10%.

Thanks Barbara and Terence for this great course which is a lifechanger for me even after i already gained so much knowledge in my past 38 years on this earth.

This course should be mandatory in every school education all of the world as it explains the PROCESS of learning and not just focused on the PRODUCT. I wish, i knew about this course when i was 15 or even 20 years only (now that i am 38).

By Elroy L B J

Jun 7, 2020

I wish I had known this before entering College or University. Most of the content feels like common sense in a way that we all knew this and that were the steps that we had to take to learn better. However, this course reinforces the information so well with logic, explanation and passion such that now, there are no excuses I can make to deny that procrastination is something I can understand and avoid. Learning is certainly up to an individual's willpower to consciously plan your schedule, break down goals, stick to your goals, and most importantly, be consistent by taking a day-by-day approach. Never forget to look at the big picture; conversely, don't focus on the product. Enjoy and trust the process. Simply reading a new passage today can go a long way if you step back and realise how far you can go, or you have gone, just by completing 1 simple pomodoro today. Thank you Professors for the enjoyable learning experience. The first step I am taking is to reinforce my learning from this course onto my learning for my academics. Thank you Coursera for making this course free and accessible.

By Diego M

Jan 23, 2021

The course a life-changing and a must! It took me It took me around 1 week and a half to complete it with an average work of 2 hours per day. As a 17-year-old student, residing in a developing country, the knowledge you get is gold, especially for this stage of life. The lectures are effective, fun, and simple to understand. Barbara and Barb are also really kind and transmit much peace. The assignments are very easy if you pay attention to the videos, in this case, I would recommend that they were more challenging or creative to improve the experience. The additional resources are great for people who wanna deepen their knowledge. The information is based on solid, and professional research made by Ph.D. Professors and scientists from American Universities. What is most important, is that the knowledge you get is applicable for every educational area of your life, not only for academic purposes. I will be forever thankful to Barbara Oakley, Barb Oakley, Terry Sejnowski, the LHTL Team, and Coursera for this opportunity. Greetings from Paraguay!

By Sonja L

Jan 1, 2019

As a chronic procrastinator, I usually get work done in the most stressful way possible because I've never found the motivation to get past all the excuses I make for not starting earlier, even after researching so many study techniques and hacks. This course has been amazing in explaining the reasons that commonly praised techniques work in terms of how our brain actually functions. For example, I have heard that revising at longer intervals will help you remember more information. In contrast, Barbara Oakley explains that spaced repetition will consolidate information from your short-term memory into your long-term memory, as the information won't be considered unimportant and erased from your neural networks. Knowing why these techniques work really motivates me to actually use them.I learnt so many new approaches to studying and life in general in LHTL. I highly recommend it as a way to boost productivity, minimise stress and feel better about the process of studying as something to look forward to, now that there's a framework behind it!

By Camille C

Sep 5, 2020

I’m an almost 60 year old lifetime learner, & even though I am a Psychology honor student , I had never fully connected the dots, so to speak , on how each person’s brain is wired similarly- yet still retains it own unique characteristics/ abilities .

Even thoughI i have a background from my college major studies, I still discovered that ones. own Internal / mental attitudes , beliefs, can play a role in helping improve a individual’s learning!

I very enthusiastically recommend this course , both as a “ stand alone” self improvement genre of course, as well as the whole series of courses which build upon one another that are offered through this application, Coursera.

I throughly enjoyed both of the Professors, the guest speakers in some of the videos, & especially the format in which it was delivered.

The whole course was a joy from beginning to end; & I now have extra “ tools” for my “ toolbox” to apply toward all future learning throughout the remainder of my learning lifetime !

Time and money well spent to receive the certificate !!

By M H

Great course, effective and efficient. They got good sources from various optional interviews which can help learners get an insight into others perspectives and experiences. The course videos themselves would not exceed a 10 minute duration making them easier to watch as nobody is really worried about the lack of time they have. The quizzes are effective and straightforward and don't really get you frustrated as some quizzes usually do. The course itself was a fun experience and can be done in a short time period, even though it says 4 week duration on the course one can even possibly finish it in 4-5 days. I myself finished the course before the four week deadline. The fact that it is a self-paced course not only benefits you as you don't have to stress about any course deadlines, timings, etc. it also helps you to manage yourself and your time in a more effective manner and it's a good way to keep yourself busy whenever you have nothing else going on. It's also a good way to learn something if you have a general thirst for knowledge.

By Gabriel G

Sep 16, 2019

This course is truly life-changing. I took it in order to solidify my studying habits. I started Engineering recently, and since it's (in Canadian schools) quite a math-intensive and very rigorous program, Learning how to Learn seemed like a must-do while I'm not neck-deep in exams and homework. As a current student, and as a learner, this course is definitely something that anyone should do if they want to improve their long-term memory and reduce their time spent on studying to assimilate the same amount of information. In my honest opinion, one of the best parts of this course is that you can easily follow it while on transit. For my part, I would download a week's lessons at a time and listen to them while walking to the bus and while riding it. Of course, I missed some information by not using my focused attention so much, but I had time to do my homework at home and learn how to learn elsewhere. Thank you so much for building this incredible course. Thank you even more for making it free. TL;DR: Take the course.