Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

RS

Sep 07, 2015

I am a more effective learner as a result of this course. It has also, surprisingly, increased my enjoyment while learning. Thanks to Barbara and Terry for a well presented and informative production.

EA

Apr 29, 2017

This was a great course! I learned a number of different techniques and strategies for learning more effectively that I can't wait to implement in my studies. I highly recommend Learning How to Learn.

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Jared R

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

By Bahaa A

Nov 06, 2016

Amazing course, I learned a lot of new techniques for self motivation, and effecient learning. Now, I feel more confident to take further steps in improving and developing myself. Thank you so much :)

By Anmol S J

Mar 23, 2019

Fantastic well-structured course with talented instructors! Some of the techniques mentioned changed my life!

By Robert B

Mar 14, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

By Liem P F

This course provides soft skills needed for continuous improvements which enhance my learning capabilities. It covers conceptual and practical approach to learn effectively and efficiently. Thank you!

By Barry H

Nov 14, 2015

I found this course to be incredibly helpful. I am 33 and wish that I would have been taught a more efficient way of learning many years ago. There are definitely some great takeaways from this class.

By Diogo C

Sep 25, 2018

In general, the course is very superficial. There are only a handful of useful ideas for learning in general (physical exercise, pomodoro for battling procrastination, analogies, interleaved testing and recall, spaced repetition) that can probably be taken from one of the teachers' TED talk.Another negative for me is that the focus is clearly for high-school students or early college. The final section, especially, is simply about passing exams. It never questions whether exams are actually effective or relevant to learning. Finally, there is the testing in the course. It goes against most of the ideas they taught. All of the questions are multiple-answer, often repeating the videos word for word, relying on superficial cues to finding the correct answer rather than actually knowing the material. The questions are also in the same order that they appear in the videos, which is exactly what they've advised not to do in the videos. Many of the possible answers are also obviously wrong, making it extremely easy to distinguish between the correct answers based on irrelevant information.It's not a completely worthless course, but it should be taken as a very small start, in my opinion. The extra materials (interviews especially) are good, at least giving people paths to follow depending on their specific interests.

By Wesley S

Sep 26, 2016

Filled with redundant balderdash and extremely dumbed-down and slow-paced. Offends the learner.

By Linda

This class really focused on the process of learning. It taught me so much. I even shared ideas with my college and high school student. They were surprised as some concepts were helpful to them also.

By Gaurav A

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

By William D W

Nov 06, 2019

To be honest, it's kinda terrible.

By Nicholas D

Nov 21, 2015

This course tells you to use a timer while studying without the TV on and to avoid procrastination. It also stresses review while learning. This isn't anything new. The course discusses diffuse and focused modes. Diffuse modes are described as being as important as focused modes. Running, day dreaming and sleep can help enter diffuse modes and integrate focused learning. Save you time and skip this course.

By Rodrigo C F

Dec 19, 2015

This course showed me powerful tools to enhance my performance and to achieve a better life quality. My children and my future students will also be positively influenced by your course. Thanks a lot!

By Alexander

Sep 14, 2015

It is great learning course brought me clear understanding strong structure of how to learn more effective. I regret only about one, that I didn't passed this course when I started learning at school.

By Денис К

Jun 02, 2019

Курс к обязательному прохождению перед другими шагами в образовании. Открываешь глаза на все ошибки которые допускались ранее, открываешь для себя новые возможности в обучении и усвоении информации.

By Iurii Z

May 14, 2019

Thanks for this great course!

2 points to make it better (as per my POV): update it a bit with a new visuals (it feels like studying in the 90's with); the test Q/A's are sometimes too easy and even if you don't know the material you can easily guess (which might create an illusion of competence haha).

By 罗海波

Oct 16, 2018

事实上大多数的学习只注重学习的结果,而这门课程更加注重你学习的过程中发生了什么以及如何去优化它

By Anastasiia P

Jan 28, 2020

I have finished the course, but I can't understand why everyone is giving such a high rating. Each and every advice in this course can easily fit in one 5 mins video and honestly I have learned far more simply by looking for learning techniques on youtube several years ago (I think now you can find even more information!). I thought in this course I could learn something new and interesting, but it was beyond measurement boring. I came to a point where I just made the quiz without looking the video or reading the text, because it is pretty obvious what the right answer is and you do not need to bore yourself with time-wasting videos or texts.

To sum things from this course up: everyone can learn better through avoiding procrastination, focusing for short period of time, rewarding yourself for good results and doing basic stuff like training and good sleep. Here you go, the whole course content in one sentence!

Save your time and certificate money (! I really don't know who would pay for such a crap!), it does not worthy to waste your resources on this course!

By Jelle d P

Jan 26, 2018

I had to do this course mandatory, unfortunatly I found the examples used for brain activety etc ´raping neuroscience´ (Given I have a background in this field) . I understand that these methods work to let other people understand these 'octopus' brain stuff.

I only had to take a look at the summary videos and could do all the 'exams' without any problems.

I had some chuckles with some of the wrong answers, but that is about all the positive feedback I can give. It also brings some joy that I can see that you really enjoy what you are doing.

Sincerely,

Jelle de Poel

By Lian L

Jan 27, 2017

Dear Professors/Instructors/TAs/moderators/coders:

It is very good for you to start your work in a very early time! BUT it is so rude to send emails/notifications/greetings/reminders to me in a very early/late time (e.g., 7AM, 10PM). During that moment, I was waked up frequently by your emails which do NOT include a big deal.

By Khaydukov A V

Jan 23, 2019

Очень маленькое количество знаний размазанных по большой тарелке (4 недели)! Пара техник типа "Принцип помидоро" о котором я и до этого курса знал, а всё остальное сплошная вода и истории каких то "супер" людей оторванных от реальности! Порой слушать эту тягомотину совершенно не интересно! Зря потраченные деньги и время!

By Matt M

Apr 20, 2017

To be honest, there are no techniques here that cannot be found in many other places. The only difference is that they explain the science behind the techniques, which in terms of practical application is not very useful at all.

By Ferry V

Oct 13, 2016

Videos aren't of good quality and the tools aren't concrete enough to be useful. There is not enough material. I hope they will improve it because the subject is interesting.

By Catherine A

May 29, 2017

It over simplifies everything... The only thing that is remotely difficult is reading the quiz, not because the questions are hard but because they have been written poorly.

By Harry L

Mar 01, 2018

Incredibly dated I couldn't stay engaged