Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

RB
Mar 13, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

VM
Jun 28, 2017

I don't write reviews very much so i will be brief.Taking out time for this course will be the best investment in your life. Wonderful ,helpful , Useful , Insightful , it's full of everything desired.

401 - 425 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Enrico G

Feb 28, 2019

This course is 100% useful to improve or add or change your learning methods. The course structure is clear and step by step every milestone aquired, is always recalled by some test so that it is more easy to memorize...in the "long term memory" :-D

Every concept is explained in a simple and flowing way, even when it goes a little bit deeper in a matter.

Personally, i already knew about some of these ones, but i have realized that until now i did not use them almost ever; so the point is that recalling them through this course make an huge impact on you to start try them and then effectively start to use them. And since when you start to use them you will learn and memorize more easily and in depth.

Kind regards.

Enrico

By Oleksandr S

Aug 29, 2016

Every one of us finished school, probably a higher school, some courses, so we all are well sure that we know how to learn. So I did not expect much from this course.

So I was very surprised how well it turned out to be. It explains reasons and mechanisms behind our well-known way of learning, so some boring or irritating things like rehearsal, or tests in the middle of a class start making sense.

I think, I became a better doer after this course. It teaches how to avoid procrastination, how to make skills and knowledge stick, and how to master things you never consider as masterable.

Also, organizers have one or two nice tricks up their sleeves to make you pass the course even if you want to slack on the last moment.

By Peter D M S

Mar 27, 2020

I wish I'd known this much about how to learn effectively earlier in my life. Just think how much more I'd know right now! This course is a real eye-opener. Learning new stuff will never be a problem ever again! Barbara Oakley is so enthusiastic and makes everything so simple, that she sweeps you up with her enthusiasm. The process of learning becomes a fascinating subject in itself. I couldn't recommend this course too highly. It's been a real pleasure. But not just pleasurable. I've come away with learning insights and techniques that will help me to increase my capacity for future learning, that in turn will hopefully make me a more rounded individual. And, at my age, what could be a better ambition than that?

By Aamad A

Jun 17, 2018

Honestly, I never write reviews and i'm not some bot that also tells people that, "I never write reviews." But god damn, this course was awesome. Partially biased opinion because this was my 1st Coursera course, but I took it very seriously and tried to learn as best as I could. The lessons and insights that were shared in this course are remarkable for someone that is passionate about learning. I enjoyed the videos, the interviews, and the additional readings. The course offered tons and tons of material and resources to further educate your learning abilities. This is a great course for anyone that takes a passion in learning, trying to become the best version of themselves, and values productivity of your time.

By Joanna L

Nov 11, 2020

This course is easy and fun. You can choose to not do the Honors projects for the basic certificate, but those projects are not too difficult anyway so you might as well do them. I learned a lot about myself and had a lot of fun at the same time. I found it great that I applied a lot of what I learned in this course by simply working on completing the final project. Ahh, I feel like I relived my university days, both the good (learning a new software) and bad (still some procrastination and cramming!).I highly recommend taking this course. The instructors took great pains to make this course easy to digest and really helps the learners to practice what they learn. I hope you have fun with it, and happy learning!

By Cat

Jun 10, 2020

This course provides excellent insight into the mechanisms of learning and how they can be harnessed by students who want to get the most out of their study time. The lectures provide useful and practical tools for breaking down complex concepts so they can be more easily mastered, including chunking, metaphor and analogy, story-telling, spaced repetition, recall, memory palaces, and many more. The course also covers tools for overcoming procrastination and test anxiety.

Additionally, many great resources are provided for those who are curious and want to delve deeper into the science behind the concepts described in the lectures, along with inspirational and informative interviews with successful professionals.

By Anirudh S R

Jun 4, 2020

To all the students pursuing any career of their choice, this Course 'Learning How to Learn' will provide you insight on your habits, studying methodologies from a neurological perspective without using any scary too-scientific terms. This course does not talk about a specific discipline, engineering or medical or literature but the concept and habit of learning as a whole. This course will NOT make you the class topper but it will ensure that you understand how to become one! Along with other core-specific courses, this is a must try and it is time efficient, assignments are easy and can be completed well within 30 minutes. I hope you try this course as it will NOT disappoint you. Learn, Understand and Apply.

By dboskma

Nov 5, 2016

I wish I could have done this course when I just started secondary school. Because I'm relatively intelligent I had no trouble in secondary school, I just didn't bother with homework, but I could have really made it all even easier on myself had I had the information that i learned in this course. Now I am doing some marketing courses and when I just started doing them I was struggling. Then I ran into this course, figured it couldn't hurt and since my marketing courses have become so much easier to learn. No cramming, but pomodoro's. Learned how to deal with procrastination and all kinds of stuff. I have actually told most of my friend to go do this course as I think it is that awesome! So highly recommended!

By Ewa W

Nov 13, 2020

Dear Barbara and Terrence

Thank you ever so much for putting the course together and offering it to us all 'out there!' I really appreciate it.

You have been outstanding communicators! The clarity with which you have explained 'what's under our neural hood', has allowed me to grasp it - I really get it! I've been passing on the nuggets to my pre-teenage daughter along the way too and she's been benefiting from it each week, little by little. It's great stuff.

I realise it's only an illusion, but I have been seeing you every week for some time now, and each time I learnt something new and interesting, and so I have grown to like to loads so - I will miss you!! :)

With very many thanks and warmest wishes

Ewa Wilcox

By Ananda R

Nov 28, 2018

I am teacher by choice and "Learning to Learn" is what I teach. I have learnt many new things on this subject which I will be using in my classes as well as my personal learning. According to me, every teacher must go through this course. This is being given for "Free". There should be no more excuses. By gaining knowledge shared here, you will learn better and help others to learn better. By using the tips, you will reduce the time you spend in learning while improving the quality of your learning. Every student needs to understand the "Process" of learning, so that they can master what ever they wish to learn.Thanks to each person who has made this course possible. May God bless all of you with abundance.

By Isai S

Oct 31, 2017

This course has been really helpful, during this weeks I've applied concepts and ideas while playing guitar, I was quite surprised that even when I did not have enough time, I improved a lot, unlike how I used to practice. Is not about strength, or having time. Is about knowing the process of learning and metacognition. I don't even started to use this knowledge in my everyday life, I´m so excited because I expect finally finish my degree and acquire many other skills. With a few principles, that are so easy to follow, we can apply to everything we desire to achieve or learn. My only regret is that I didn't take this course before. This should be enough to improve quality of life of anyone. I'm so grateful!

By Thinh P

Jan 21, 2016

This course is extremely helpful! Ironically, I started the course when I just graduated from college. I found out that I have been using inefficient techniques to study all my years in school (e.g. using mere will power to force myself into problem solving, studying long sessions without taking breaks, falling into the trap of procrastination, etc.) This course has provided me with many perspectives in studying, and they are so convincing since they are backed up by evidences from neuroscience. The course is full of to-the-point tips and helpful advice, with a minimal level of technical details (just enough for a general audience).

Many thanks to the team they created this course! Happy learning, everyone!

By Leoh V T

Jun 18, 2020

Thanks to Prof. Barbara and the Coursera team that provide such a wonderful course of learning. I gained a lot of good knowledge, tips, tricks, and experiences during the course, and also, I have been applying it to my study every day effectively. From the neuroscience perspective, I understand more deeply about my weaknesses that I was not able to call out its names exactly and spent many years struggling with them. As a result, I feel more confident when I figured out what procrastination is, how to change my habit, Serependity Law, and so on. I will soon be back to school to continue my learning journey, and also, I wish I could share with others everything I learned from this course.

My gratitude,

Vinh

By Aviv B

Apr 7, 2020

The course delves into a variety of relevant subjects related to the learning process. It is built in an outstanding way, so it is suitable for different age groups with different intellectual levels.

Although I would have liked to see more practical explanations regarding the ways one can apply the information in their own lives, I still enjoyed and gained from every minute of this course.

Barbara Oakley and Terrence Sejnowski are doing an amazing job guiding the course. Barbara is very well-spoken and articulated which made it extremely easy to understand the material.

To conclude, I strongly advise those enthusiastic learners, to take this course. I wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.

By Tiago C M

Jan 25, 2020

It really helped me in so many levels that i don't even know how to delimit its influence on my posterior perception concerning on the act of learning. To establish a concrete example, just the idea of modes of thinking and the importance of alternating them to access more of my own cognitive machinery to help me to solve problems is on its own enough to say that doing this MOOC was time well spent. By the way, i plan to redo the course later to better chunk the presented concepts and confront them with the mental images that I've created of them when introspecting between lessons. Many thanks for the shared knowledge, and I've already started reading the Mind for Numbers book influenced by this journey.

By Nada Z

Dec 5, 2015

This is an extremely useful course. I recommend it for everyone, no matter your level of education or indeed your age. I think this course should be mandatory for both high school students and their parents. The main reason being so that students can master these skills early in their years and both parents and students understand, in particular, the value of exercise and sleep in learning. Thank you to all those people who put together this course. Although Dr Oakley and Dr Sejnowski are the faces of this course, I know there were many more involved in the conceptualisation and building of this course. Thank you for making it a MOOC and thank you for such a wonderful clear format that was easy to follow.

By Kishka P

Aug 17, 2015

I loved this course! I was really useful and easy to apply the tools to my behaviour and other learning activities immediately. I even shared with my partner and friends all of whom were very surprised and pleased with the results. Though the course material is REALLY interesting, I believe it is the delivery that made it GREAT! Barbara made this learning experience for me truly memorable. She has a gentle clear approach and a warm and encouraging nature. Thank you to everyone involved, but an especially BIG THANK YOU TO BARBARA. You should be very proud at your contribution to learning, I think it will have a massively positive impact on so many people. Well done! I will look out for your future courses.

By Lucimeire A M

May 15, 2020

This course is wonderful! This was a good opportunity to learn useful tools to improve my knowledges. Most of the videos contain important information to the comprehension about learning process. The interviews are interesting, I loved each piece of advices given by the professors and the specialists, I think this experience has helped me to focus my attention on the diffuse modo, because it is a good way to improve my skills. Another topic I have loved is the procrastination. From now on I understand better what is happening to me, and how to manage my procrastination. I am very grateful to the professors, Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski you are great professors, Thank you very much again!

By Ifiok E

Apr 13, 2020

This course is highly recommended for anyone (regardless of age) who wants to know just how to learn effectively. It is practical and uses metaphors and analogies excellently to drive home the point.If you are having any problem with learning something new, difficult, complex and challenging, here's your solution.If you find yourself banging your head against the wall (literally) when trying to solve problems, then you need to take the time that is required to take this course.If you've been having problems with procrastination (like I was), you'll learn about a tool that will help you tackle and overcome procrastination.Thank you Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski for this. I'm in your debt.

By Lilian F

Aug 9, 2019

With this course, I learned a lot of new techniques and helpful tips that will help me learn and understand any material or concept effectively. I am planning to employ some of these tips and techniques in my upcoming fall semester at university. This course also helped me look at learning from a different perspective, evaluate my current studying methods, and improve my understanding of the brain and the different ways of utilizing its abilities to unlock the hidden potentials that will allow you to succeed in your studies and life. I recommend this course for anyone who is looking to improve and enhance their learning abilities and studying methods to do well in your future studies and upcoming tests.

By Антон Ю М

Aug 21, 2018

Really good and helpful course. If you are in a start or middle of the learning process, it helps improve or change learning method in better way.

Lots of interesting information about the brain will be interesting to kids and give them good start.

Older people find a good system for planing their time and get more time to know new things.

Хороший и полезный курс. Если вы начали что-то изучать или еще проходите обучение в школе или университете, курс поможет скорректировать или изменить метод обучения. Интересная информация о мозге будет занимательной для детей, что поможет с младых лет сформировать правильный подход к обучению. Людям старшего возраста поможет правильнее распределять время на обучение.

By Abhishek S

May 5, 2017

This is the best course on Coursera which helps you learn about how to learn anything, how to develop good learning habits , and learning powerful mental tools & strategies for good studying. The instructors are really very engaging and you will love studying with them. As you walk through this course, you will start applying and practicing your learning of the course and by the end of the course, you will be using this knowledge in learning and mastering any tough subjects or new languages or acquiring new skills in a right , easy and efficient way. This course has something for everyone of any age and is ideal for everyone who is keen to learn anything quickly or effectively. Happy Learning!!!!!!!

By Pris T

Nov 16, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, especially appreciated Barbara Oakley's candid way of presenting. I've learnt new perspectives of how our brains work, and I look forward to apply methods for learning more effectively like the Pomodoro, shifting between focused and diffused mode, etc. It's been a real pleasure to learn while enjoying the interesting puns and illustrations during the videos and in the tests. I encourage anyone to take up this course with an open mind, whether you are studying or working. Also felt inspired by Barbara's anecdote of her own experiences of learning and career, it made me think that I can learn things I'm not naturally good at. Thank you for teaching us how to learn better!

By Robert B

Feb 7, 2016

I learned sooooooo many actionable techniques, strategies and concepts that really works if you implement them. One or two tactics in this course I heard about through the accelerated learning grapevine over the years, but here the techniques are backed by credible research, giving me more confidence to apply them consistently.

I was initially concerned this course was going to be full of more dry theory than practical application, that I almost skipped it. Very glad I didn't. Each module succeeds in being engaging and informative in ways that can be applied immediately to one's learning projects for better results or to a less stressful path to the same results....excellence.

Highly Recommended.