Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

EC

Sep 10, 2019

Excellent review of Linear Algebra even for those who have taken it at school. Handwriting of the first instructor wasn't always legible, but wasn't too bad. Second instructor's handwriting is better.

NS

Dec 23, 2018

Professors teaches in so much friendly manner. This is beginner level course. Don't expect you will dive deep inside the Linear Algebra. But the foundation will become solid if you attend this course.

226 - 250 of 747 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By 熊华东

Jun 06, 2018

I want to handle the concept in a short time, so I take this course. This course really meet expetation.It really help understand a lot linear algebra and build me intuitions.Now i'm confident in learning ml.

As for the course content,The content is abundant,i really love the visualization and programming work.The programming work is fully explained , and help me in understand the materials. The programming work is a little bit easier.

Mostly, i love David! Especically his brilliant smile ,excited expression and body language which inspiring me a lot!表白David Dye,比心!

By Shubham D

May 09, 2018

Amazing course.Do not let the easy content distract you from the fact that this is one of the best/well taught MOOCs on Coursera.These professors are experts at helping student develop an intuition for mathematics.Way different from what was taught in my school/university and also much more useful in a practical sense.

By mrinal

Apr 29, 2018

I really enjoyed this course esp the way it was taught .The presenter used geometrical representation to make the theory understand. There was no need to refer the book.

By Maged F Y A

May 01, 2018

I would like to thank the instructors for their exceptional work. They are teaching mathematics with the aid of visualizations, which is not common within ordinary math classes. This way assists students to understand the physical interpretation of mathematical concepts.

By Ying T

Mar 09, 2018

An awesome course with high quality video lectures!! I will recommend this course to anyone who's looking for a refresher or quick pick-up on linear algebra. The homework's compatible with the materials and is quite interesting. The lecturer also did a good job on explaining critical concepts with easy but good examples. I'm looking forward to more similar courses from Imperial College.

By Nirmesh G

May 06, 2018

very useful! changes the perspective of math.

By Anubhab G

Jun 06, 2018

Well-paced, engaging and highly interesting course content. This course totally gives a new dimension to linear algebra. The fact that mathematical examples are implemented through programming exercises, really strengthens the concepts and makes it even more interesting.

By Prateek K S

May 28, 2018

Nice course. This course is very good to build your fundamental knowledge for machine learning. This course gave me very clean and straight forward understand how mathematics play very important role in machine learning field.

By Amod

Jun 11, 2018

Extremely Helpful.Every Machine Learning Aspirant should complete this course to get the basics right! Instructors and Course Content are perfect.

By Saptadeep D

Jun 02, 2018

Such a course that you won't believe, exists and published with Audit option (aka FREE!). More disbelief!

By liyimeng

Jun 18, 2018

It's really helpful to rebuild the fundamental, not very deep enough. It's better to read some books as well when take the course

By Rui_Lian

May 25, 2018

Many thanks for David and Samuel! I've been struggling with linear algebra for quite a long time. I can do the math, but I get lost when I try to use linear algebra to understand something in statistics and machine learning. The intuition based approach is perfect. I like the apple-banana example, I like the transformation and visualization of eigenvector in 2 dimension. Also, the page rank case is quite cool and thought provoking.

I think I will stay on this series for following two courses.

Thanks again!

By Danielius K

May 23, 2018

An amazing introduction to a crucial part of machine learning!

By Mansur A

Jun 18, 2018

Insightful and challenging, excellent course! Thanks for delivering this awesome course

By Christopher H

Mar 31, 2018

Great intro

By Arnaud J

May 12, 2018

Nice introduction or freshener on linear algebra.

By Jurij N

Jun 18, 2018

I was very satisfied with the course. I'm really grateful for the effort they put into the programming exercises, so I finally began to put the theoretical knowledge into code. From now on I am able to experiment by myself.

By Alexander v d P

May 22, 2018

Very clear quick browse through some concepts from linear algebra

By Art P

Jun 08, 2018

This course was of high quality, was very helpful in explaining some key concepts and I appreciated the instructors energy and humor. My only complaint about the course is that some of the quizzes and homework assignments felt significantly more challenging than what was covered in the lessons; however, the discussion forums proved helpful in closing this gap.

By HARSH K D

Jun 13, 2018

nice of mathematics

By Huang X

May 12, 2018

This course helps me a lot. I don't need to calculate the matrix by hand. I just need to get the concept of what is the matrix doing and use computer to calculate it. This is the most import thing I got in this course.

By Christos P

Jul 02, 2018

It was honestly great. The first two weeks didn't have much new for someone who'd already taken Linear Algebra, but the last three weeks were very informational. It really helped me understand the concepts geometrically/spatially in ways I hadn't seen before when I had taken general linear algebra at my university.

By Wang Z

Jun 30, 2018

Very challenging yet extremely beneficial

By Keer M

Jun 03, 2018

Informative and not overbearing. Does a good job connecting lecture material with practical problems.

By Niclas F S

Apr 14, 2018

Superb introduction to Linear Algebra! Thanks to the instructors for their very clear explanations!