Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

EC

Sep 10, 2019

Excellent review of Linear Algebra even for those who have taken it at school. Handwriting of the first instructor wasn't always legible, but wasn't too bad. Second instructor's handwriting is better.

PL

Aug 26, 2018

Great way to learn about applied Linear Algebra. Should be fairly easy if you have any background with linear algebra, but looks at concepts through the scope of geometric application, which is fresh.

201 - 225 of 746 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Danielius K

May 23, 2018

An amazing introduction to a crucial part of machine learning!

By Mansur A

Jun 18, 2018

Insightful and challenging, excellent course! Thanks for delivering this awesome course

By Christopher H

Mar 31, 2018

Great intro

By Arnaud J

May 12, 2018

Nice introduction or freshener on linear algebra.

By Jurij N

Jun 18, 2018

I was very satisfied with the course. I'm really grateful for the effort they put into the programming exercises, so I finally began to put the theoretical knowledge into code. From now on I am able to experiment by myself.

By Alexander v d P

May 22, 2018

Very clear quick browse through some concepts from linear algebra

By Art P

Jun 08, 2018

This course was of high quality, was very helpful in explaining some key concepts and I appreciated the instructors energy and humor. My only complaint about the course is that some of the quizzes and homework assignments felt significantly more challenging than what was covered in the lessons; however, the discussion forums proved helpful in closing this gap.

By HARSH K D

Jun 13, 2018

nice of mathematics

By Huang X

May 12, 2018

This course helps me a lot. I don't need to calculate the matrix by hand. I just need to get the concept of what is the matrix doing and use computer to calculate it. This is the most import thing I got in this course.

By Christos P

Jul 02, 2018

It was honestly great. The first two weeks didn't have much new for someone who'd already taken Linear Algebra, but the last three weeks were very informational. It really helped me understand the concepts geometrically/spatially in ways I hadn't seen before when I had taken general linear algebra at my university.

By Wang Z

Jun 30, 2018

Very challenging yet extremely beneficial

By Keer M

Jun 03, 2018

Informative and not overbearing. Does a good job connecting lecture material with practical problems.

By Niclas F S

Apr 14, 2018

Superb introduction to Linear Algebra! Thanks to the instructors for their very clear explanations!

By Anas N B

Jun 06, 2018

Very Useful to understand clearly the Linear Algebra Basics.

Thanks u professor.U did a great job.:)

By Sai S H G

Apr 26, 2018

Really enjoyed the course!

Wonderful lectures and really helpful assignments.

By Nanyan Z

May 25, 2018

It's really useful!

By Deepak T

May 07, 2018

Awesome explanation of each topic!!

By Shanxue J

Apr 01, 2018

Truly exceptional course. Strongly recommend!

By Lisa M

Apr 07, 2018

This was a fantastic course. I'm new to linear algebra, so it was bit intimidating even signing up (!) - but the lecturers were really, really good about explaining all concepts from the ground up so it was always possible to visualize and extrapolate from solid foundations. For me it was a stretch each week, but in a good way: very challenging, but achievable with enough planning and effort.

By Thomas F

Apr 19, 2018

Highly valuable introduction to linear algebra. Maybe the programming assignments are far too easy, while some of the quizzes definitely are hard. And the best part of the course was to introduce www.3blue1brown.com with it's videos on youtube.

By Liam M

Apr 04, 2018

This is an excellent refresher of vectors and linear algebra, and although I did it years ago in college I still found some new insights from doing this course. Its all explained very well without being bogged down in formailty.

By Joshua S

Apr 21, 2018

Great introduction to linear Algebra! Wish my college experience was this good! I highly recommend an iPad Pro and Apple pencil to take notes. Man this is awesome.

By Nigel H

Apr 18, 2018

Very high production standards, well presented by enthusiastic staff and very manageable as the material is taught so well. Highly recommended.

By Prateek J

Apr 30, 2018

Good course for refreshing your knowledge in Linear Algebra. Easy to understand material and instructor is great.

By Kohinoor G

Apr 24, 2018

One of the best Linear Algebra [LA] courses for beginners/novices. It takes away the drudgery of algebra and formulae and tries to explain the "essence" of LA. This is by no means comprehensive LA course - but good enough for people who are fed up with "this is how to calculate the Eigen vector/determinant/<insert pet peeve>" mode of teaching LA.