Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

PL

Aug 26, 2018

Great way to learn about applied Linear Algebra. Should be fairly easy if you have any background with linear algebra, but looks at concepts through the scope of geometric application, which is fresh.

CS

Apr 01, 2018

Amazing course, great instructors. The amount of working linear algebra knowledge you get from this single course is substantial. It has already helped solidify my learning in other ML and AI courses.

151 - 175 of 1,367 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Jack C

Apr 06, 2018

Great course, well presented videos and challenging but engaging content. Great high level view of linear algebra to give you a starting point for other courses. May be useful to have some machine learning knowledge before taking - Andrew Ng's course would serve as a good counterpoint.

By Aleix L M

Nov 28, 2019

After taking this course I can safely say that I did not understand Linear Algebra before. This course introduces basic concepts useful for machine learning and it gives a very intuitive view on abstract concepts that I had trouble understanding before. I would totally recommend it.

By Satyajit S

Mar 18, 2018

Great introductory course. Linear Algebra is quite often the most poorly taught/understood subject in college mathematics.This course has a done a great job in stressing on the core concepts without focusing on the computational details which happens in typical linear algebra courses

By Alexander Z

Aug 25, 2019

Very much recommend this course for absolute beginners seeking to refresh/learn math required for machine learning.

Don't be afraid to start and focus on learning instead of going through the material.

Practice exercise you've done several times and return to your notes. Good luck!

By Alok N

Apr 14, 2020

Great course! Linear algebra is a very vast subject. This course helped me getting the idea of topics I need in machine learning algorithms. This course is very helpful in revisiting the linear algebra to those who have taken this subject in his/her college in very short time.

By Daozhang W

Jul 12, 2019

It's a worth-taking course. But you'd better have some linear algebra background. Like me, a student in China, we learn all things with out geometric insight, it will be very difficult for you to take the course through out.

All in all, worth-taking. Give me many fresh airs.

By Dan L

Sep 29, 2019

I actually studied Maths at undergrad and was using this as a catchup after many years - it wasn't taught nearly anywhere near as well as this. More lecturers should focus on the concepts first, and then the formulae to give context. A great course, highly recommended!

By Anubhab G

Jun 06, 2018

Well-paced, engaging and highly interesting course content. This course totally gives a new dimension to linear algebra. The fact that mathematical examples are implemented through programming exercises, really strengthens the concepts and makes it even more interesting.

By Maged F Y A

May 01, 2018

I would like to thank the instructors for their exceptional work. They are teaching mathematics with the aid of visualizations, which is not common within ordinary math classes. This way assists students to understand the physical interpretation of mathematical concepts.

By Henry N

Apr 05, 2020

Lectures are well-paced (although I was familiar with basics of working with vectors and matrices from high school mathematics). The assignments and quizzes were pitched at the right difficulty, just hard enough to be a challenge but not so hard as to be disheartening.

By Dariusz P G

Mar 10, 2019

What an excellent lecturer.

I just wish that my mathematics teacher at school had had a tenth of the ability to impart knowledge.

This is a fantastic course and I will be doing the specialization later when I get some free time.

Thank you for a fantastic course.

Dariusz

By Diogo J A P

Jul 22, 2019

This is an awesome course! You probably were like me, with a foundation in maths shaky due to poor understanding of the underlying principles. This course re-centers math around intuition, making it much easier to understand and apply the concepts with confidence.

By Andi S

Dec 23, 2019

I really like the approach of this course: build the intuition of the core concepts with an easy language and loads of examples. This has helped me a lot to understand finally the eigenvector and eigenvalues, for example. I strongly recommend to take this course.

By Prateek S

Jun 25, 2020

This was one of the best courses I have ever had. The courses structure was awesome and the instructors were very clear with what they were teaching. The assignments were good. Anyone with a fair understanding of high school algebra should be able to understand.

By SINGH S

I would like to say that this was one of the best courses that I've learned online during these difficult times of COVID-19 Pandemic. the teachers professor David Dye and Professor Samuel J Cooper were very friendly in teaching , all my concepts got cleared.

By Anna U

Jan 14, 2020

An excellently simple explanation of concepts of linear algebra. Applause for lector. I really liked this course and found it very useful for those newbies in machine learning like myself. I recommend this course to all my friends and others interested in.

By Pranad W

Jul 01, 2020

This course has an amazing way of teaching. So u understand the concepts of mathematics that was seeming harder to me before i applied for this course. If you are beginner at Machine learning and worried about mathematics you must go through this course.

By Rahul R

Jun 13, 2020

I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to build a general understanding of linear algebra and its real-world application. Both the instructors are highly capable of communicating the intuition behind every steps and algorithm to the viewers.

By DASGAONKAR Y N

Jul 12, 2020

This was one of the best courses for linear algebra for a working professionals, students and researchers who want to brush up their skills as this course is very different from the regular book stuff.It was more practical with real world assignments.

By Loc N

Jan 09, 2020

Awesome course! Entertaining and digestible, with great assignments despite some hiccups in file organization and a slight lack of response from admins (understandable because the course is old). It was so awesome that I had to go and tweet the profs.

By Lorenzo

Sep 27, 2019

it's a very well structured and well taught course. The lecturers have the ability to keep the students interested in the subject and the various exercises at the end of each session are a very good way to find out where extra work/research is needed.

By Volodymyr C

Jan 27, 2019

Clearly explained and key equations are derived with good step sizes. Quizzes and assignments are challenging (which is good!) and have high expectations for learners (which is really good for my motivation). Overall, I am really enjoying this course.

By Agamjyot S C

Jun 04, 2020

A really nice course, I had already done a Linear Algebra module in the university. But that was mostly mugging up and not knowing what this is used for. This course's geometric interpretation of all topics, helped me a lot and give a lot of insight.

By Nuthakamol

Mar 25, 2020

The presentation an way of teaching is excellence; however, the course should add more reference or additional source or materials for more in dept detail for the person who feel that the simplified explanation in the course are still not sufficient.

By Jonathan M

Apr 10, 2020

Extremely helpful. I haven't taken a linear algebra class in almost 5 years and by going through these videos it helped me regain an intuition towards the subject. The videos do a good job of tying the material back to machine learning as a whole.