Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

126 - 150 of 219 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By SHIVAM T

Jul 19, 2017

thank you for this course. Miss Kathryn Wingate ma'am for teaching us and guide us. this course very help me in solving fatigue failure problem and also made me more confident in static as well as in fatigue problem. i personally prefer this course to every mechanical engineer. i am eagerly waiting for MD part 2 and other course from Georgia Tech. i wish Kathryn ma'am will also teach us in future.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

By Raphael M V

Jan 26, 2018

Excelente professora e muito bela.

By RIZWAN A H

Mar 22, 2018

Awesome

By HARI G

Feb 18, 2017

Good course for beginner level in understanding the machine design course. Fatigue related topics was good.

By Kavan S

Mar 23, 2017

Exceptional course material along with an outstanding teacher.. Thank you for an amazing learning experience!

By Rafay N A

Aug 18, 2017

Amazing course, I learned a lot, my basics in mechanics of materials was honed, and I got to learn new failure theories, static and fatigue. The videos are short and to the point, the worksheets provided are really helpful to fully grasp the new concepts. The case studies brought a really new insight on the "out of the box" thinking. There wasn't a single moment during the lecture where you'll start to think that this is getting boring! I loved it! Waiting for Machine Design II and III.

By Javier G

Feb 14, 2017

The course present a good explanation of the fundamentals of design in static and fatigue failure. Also the course is well organized with an easy explanation.

Looking forward for parts 2 and 3.

By vinay s

Mar 19, 2017

This course is both intensive and challenging. Dr. Wingate does a fantastic job with real life examples and explaining subtle points that will help get ahead in the weekly quiz.

By Ya-Chuan M

May 10, 2018

Clear and useful, I enjoyed it!

By sara s

Dec 11, 2016

dr.kathryn is very professional and she simplify theories to perfectly understanding i become more understanding all f course contents and be more sufficient in machine design

i would to thank the doctor for her explaining

and thank georgia institude of technology for this useful course

By Luis M M G

Apr 25, 2018

Wonderfull course! Very instructive and well paced knowledge that is shown in this course. For me this is the beginning of a long journey in mechanical design. Thanks a lot!

By akshay

Apr 05, 2017

Awesome Lectures.

Thank you!!!!!!1

By Reza F

Dec 12, 2016

Great course. Thanks Dr. Wingate. Waiting for the part 2.

By Vaibhav S

Sep 01, 2017

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Jeong S H

Jul 05, 2018

Very good machine design course to summarize what we have learned in our undergraduate!

By Amir G

Feb 10, 2017

very good

By Morales E

Jun 09, 2018

This is one of the best Machine Design Courses that I've ever taken, The professor is very professional and I've learnt more than my university course. I'm very excited and I'll wait for the 3rd and 2nd parts, Thanks a lot of!!

By Roshan S

Jan 21, 2017

This course is so useful, complete all basic concept and i like it!

By SAURABH G

Jun 12, 2017

By Oscar F M

Feb 20, 2017

Dr. Kathryn Wingate provides a thorough explanation. The course is very interesting! The practice of making entire video in form of notes is very efficient for a student to grasp everything the teacher wants to convey.

By moubachir y

Feb 10, 2017

very good course

By Rahul K S

Dec 25, 2017

Excellent course for mechanical engineers.

By Santiago F H W

Apr 16, 2017

First, I'm really thankful with your for this effort for with us. This course is really interesting, is the first course I finished. I'm mechanical engineering from Perú, I really excited with all these topics, they are great for all engineer. I recommend this course with Doctor K. Wingate, and I know that you enjoy it.

By Saúl N R

Apr 05, 2017

Excellent explanation

By Mauro C

Jan 16, 2017

Syllabus very well organized. Professor is completely aware of the subjected being taught.