Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

151 - 175 of 219 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Saravanan S

May 20, 2018

Amazing lecture!!

By Sahil D

Jun 17, 2017

A excellent course for any mechanical or production student.

Thank you so much Coursera and Prof. Wingate !!

By Aman k

Oct 15, 2017

The way the Course was thought with all the real world examples was really very nice. The methods that we were thought to solve the problem were very good.

By Eduardo d M R

Apr 26, 2017

Very good course for beginners. Explanations are short and concise and very clear. Don't know how Part 2 is organized, but I think it would be nice to have also an introduction to CAD/CAE softwares like Inventor or SOLIDWORKS and to solve some of the examples with those softwares so people is aware of the existing numerical possibilities.

By Michael B

Dec 15, 2016

OK, good course, parts 2 & 3 please!

By Hossam S M

Aug 30, 2017

This course is well structured and covers most of the topics you need to know about stresses and failures.

You will need to have good background about materials and mechanics of materials to gain as much of this course.

Thank you Dr. Wingate for your efforts to deliver this course

By Franco A

Jun 15, 2017

I appreciate very much the clarity of the explanation and the usefulness of the examples and of the exercizes.

By Mostafa A

Mar 19, 2017

Very Good course that concentrates on the key concepts with some case studies that are very interesting.

By GAURAV K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good introductory course in Machine Design, interesting with lots of real life example and questions.

By Alexander T

Jan 11, 2017

Very good course covering technics that are actually used in aerospace industry. I look forward to seeing the second part.

By GAURAV S

Mar 25, 2017

It was a wonderful wonderful experience. All concepts are concrete solid now, thanks to the excellent approach, way of explanation of concepts and closely developed questions that make you apply all your understanding. looking forward to enroll in further courses to offer .

By Abdel-Rahman H

Apr 18, 2017

Literally, It's one of the best courses i have ever taken. I have learned through out this course how to be precise and accurate in my calculation and the attention to details. The instructor is amazing and i really have learned a lot from her. However, her exams are not easy :) !

By Bryan J

Jul 28, 2017

Great review for degreed ME that has not worked in this particular field since college. I would like to see more courses from Dr. Wingate-both in other areas and more advanced.

By Zhiyuan D

Jul 08, 2017

Good course! Now looking for the second part

By Rishabh S

Jun 28, 2017

Excellent course for machine design. and the students who are learning machine design in there undergraduates. Yet more topic need to be cover in machine design.

By Sahib S M

Sep 17, 2017

Dear Dr. Wingate, I thoroughly enjoyed this course as well as your method of teaching. I learnt a lot by completing this course and will be enthusiastically waiting for its next parts. Thanks a lot mam for this wonderful learning.

By Tuğberk Ç

Jan 17, 2017

Absolutely amazing.

By Marco I

Mar 20, 2017

nice course,

topics are presentend efficiently and stimulating excercises help putting theory in practice in a funny way!

By Howard R

May 28, 2017

Awesome!

By Luigi V

Jul 31, 2018

Very useful course; excellent topics, explanation and professor.

By Sarvesh J

May 01, 2019

I learned a lot of new things which will definitely help in me in my future

By 王榕

May 06, 2019

fundamental and useful !

By Vinoth J A

May 08, 2019

This Course is a great Learning Resource in the field of Mechanical Design.

By AAKASH M

May 11, 2019

it was a great learning experience for me attending machine design part-1 course here on coursera.

it's a great platform to learning.

By Sri V B

May 29, 2019

The case studies were very much useful for better understanding of the concepts. They were very relevant to the concepts. The assignments were also good.