Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

MG

Mar 21, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

MV

Jan 15, 2019

This course has an outstanding wealth of information for new people entering the Human Resources arena. I also recommend it to others that want to brush up on knowledge and skills of the HR industry.

1 - 25 of 517 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Kristine R

Feb 18, 2019

The course was really useful, entertaining and very well made course. Easy to learn and understand. Thank you Mr. Budd, I did enjoy it!

By PALAVALA A

Feb 15, 2019

Good course

By Pavla H

Feb 15, 2019

I enjoyed the format as well as well as content. Thank you.

By SONI T

Feb 07, 2019

Great course

By woody l

Feb 06, 2019

I learned a lot from professor Budd! An excellent instructor and the whole team covering the HR Management Specialization really!! I love the fact that you can go at your own pace. They managed to get all the goods in the 5 courses. I'm starting course #4 now and I get more excited as I go because the info provided is so useful.

By omnia i m

Feb 03, 2019

Thanks a lot for your effort with us

By Muhammad W K

Nov 07, 2018

Good for people who want to start their career as a manager. This course will give you basics of human resource management.

By Reginald N N

Oct 28, 2017

I really enjoyed this foundation class. It provide me with a deeper understand of human resources beyond just transactional duties. Human Resources is a key component in the life of an organization.

By Ananya L

Sep 18, 2017

The course helped me gain the basic understanding of Human Resources. I did have a course in my undergraduate studies in India but this online course was a different experience. Prof. John Budd explained concepts in a simple and easy-to-understand way.

The video sessions of HR executive managers talking gave a real-world exposure. If the course has at least one session where students can interact with the professor John Budd would be good.

By lupo

Aug 27, 2017

Very useful to step into the HR management practice. It provides a foundation to understanding the complexity of HR management strategies and managerial styles. The lessons are quite short but dense and challenging. While a transcript of the videos is always available, I found extremely useful to take my own notes while listening to the videos, stopping and restarting the video as required. and even revisiting previous lectures to establish the necessary connections among notions, where necessary. Some lectures are indeed quite dense and content intricate, but that challenges your learning process.

By Carla D

Jun 07, 2017

It's a good introduction to managing Human Resources. I think it covers enough material for you to really learn more about what it takes to manage, the different perspectives and approaches related to management, a bit of history of where all these thoughts came from. One thing, though, that I believe can be improved on is having the professor be a little bit more interactive in the videos. In some of them, it seemed like he was just reading off a prompt and I found it a little difficult to internalize what he was saying and ended up just reading and taking notes from the transcript. But aside from that, this was a course I thoroughly enjoyed and would advise anyone interested in HR management to take.

By Inge S B (

Jul 21, 2019

very good , combines acamdemic Learning With practical examples.

By Tuesday P

Jul 21, 2019

This has been the best learning experience I've had. all the information was job related, and easy to follow. i would recommend to my colleagues.

By Islam A S

Jul 19, 2019

excellent course

By Adrienne C

Jul 17, 2019

A great course to get started into learning more about HRM. Great videos, readings, and the quizzes really do a good job to make you go back and revisit things that you may have missed.

By Elvis K A

Jul 15, 2019

Great

By Dhaya N

Jul 14, 2019

Great help through coursera and professor John thank you so much sir .

By Efren E G R

Jul 11, 2019

Amazing!

By Jenebeb A

Jul 10, 2019

The course was amazing. I have learned a lot. Thank you!

By Alison H L

Jul 09, 2019

I loved the course from the beginning until the end. Especially the Peer Group assignment was very helpful to see others' perspectives.

By Ingrid C

Jul 08, 2019

Great Content. I learned a lot. Instructor was knowledgeable and used humor which was awesome. Kept me engaged. Feel I gained a nice foundation to move forward with rest of Specialization and feel confident this education will support me in my career transition.

By Meenakshi T

Jul 07, 2019

This course has helped me in various forms. I would like to thank professor Budd and Coursera for giving us so much of knowledge with seamless efforts. I would recommend this course to all those who are aiming to have a career in HR or want to have the right knowledge about this domain.

By Chinwe O

Jul 06, 2019

I've learnt a lot. I cant wait to move to the next course in this specialization!