Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

MG

Mar 21, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

MV

Jan 15, 2019

This course has an outstanding wealth of information for new people entering the Human Resources arena. I also recommend it to others that want to brush up on knowledge and skills of the HR industry.

51 - 75 of 968 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Ihab M

Jan 09, 2019

The content is well written and the videos are very engaging. I did enjoy the time spent while grasping the knowledge at the same time. The Mad Lid exercise was hilarious i am going to use if in all my coming training sessions. I enjoyed the reading assignments from Dr. John blog.

By Kristina T

Apr 19, 2020

Great course! Everything is well explained even for not native language speakers. However would be great to have some written notes which not native language speakers could download and make their translation on them. Sometimes I felt like I'm learning English :) but its great!

By Rasajna S

Oct 18, 2019

From this course I really learned how to manage people strategically.This course showed me different ways of managing and controlling things. Mentors helped me to think out of the box.And thanks to my peers who reviewed my assignment. Will meet in next course.

Thanks a lot

By Christopher K

Oct 18, 2017

This was a very thorough and insightful introduction to the world of HR. The professor does a good job of explaining ideas and concepts in detail. He also does a good job of keeping things fresh with the use of useful examples drawn from art, business examples and charts.

By Kaanchi D

Apr 11, 2020

It is a well-curated course that gives you the gist of HR management. I loved how Professor had intense knowledge of HR history, Norms and related it with real-life examples. I enjoyed all Lessons and videos thoroughly and recommend it for anyone who is interested in HR.

By Melissa J M

Sep 21, 2019

I have learned a lot during this class. However, what i wanted the most is to have better knowledge of the technical part of professional in Human Resources Office. Hope i will get more information related to what i expected in the next 4 courses. Best Regards, mjm

By Josh G

Mar 06, 2019

So far I have to say it's very informative, very interesting and best of all it's actually useful. I am currently in a position where I am looking to move further into HR from a more recruitment based role and this course is fantastic in setting the foundations for me.

By Ravaughn C

Feb 14, 2020

The course was absolutely exceptional. I am so happy I got a chance to take part in this awesome program. I was able to relate to the material and identify areas within my professional life where the different managerial styles came out either by myself or my managers

By Xudong C

Apr 29, 2020

Very good course. I've been working in HR specific field for many years. This course helps me recalled fundamental requirement to be a people manager is real understanding their employees' needs. And then you can use the different kinds of HR tools to motivate them.

By Ruvan R

The course is well designed and focused. I enjoyed the material presented in the form of videos as well as tests. Many thanks for the opportunity to journey with you to explore aspects of dealing with people in a professional way with who I interact on daily basis.

By Ingrid C

Jul 08, 2019

Great Content. I learned a lot. Instructor was knowledgeable and used humor which was awesome. Kept me engaged. Feel I gained a nice foundation to move forward with rest of Specialization and feel confident this education will support me in my career transition.

By Nevena A

Dec 17, 2019

Professor Budd's course is very relevant, adjusted for complete beginners in this field, however, showing some good practices and giving valuable information for professionals as well. It has definitely been a great incentive to continue with this specialization.

By A M R

May 09, 2020

This online course has taught me many things about hr management. It was very beneficial and interesting. This course has taught me about hr management, the real motive behind every person and goal of the person and how to become a perfect hr manager.

By Shams S

May 07, 2020

It was a great opportunity for me to take this course! The Professor encouraged me to learn more about the HRM field. I wish there would more courses with this Professor related to human resources sphere. Thank you so much for excellent learning way!

By Fehintola A

Oct 20, 2019

The course it very impactful and expository.

It was interactive and relatable. And the opportunity to apply for financial aid was helpful and greatly encouraging for a student like that had no financial income to afford to pay for such huge knowledge.

By Tina V

Mar 20, 2016

Very good overview on HR.

Only one comment - would it be possible to add to the law part another perspective than the US perspective? For participants from other countries it would be great to have some general insights to i.e. European regulations.

By Ashley B

Mar 01, 2020

This was a well put together and immensely interactive course. My only critique is to allow students to bypass the critique of peers if there are no other assignments to view but one. This prolongs the student being able to receive the certificate.

By BHAVYASHREE S

It was a great experience.The course is structured in a way which will give you a deep knowledge about the course.Mr.John W. Budd is a wonderful teacher with wealth of knowledge.I really liked the way he keeps the course interesting and engaging.

By Uche O C

Apr 27, 2018

I enjoyed the course! I like the fact that the Professor thoroughly taught the HR Strategies, Employment and Labor Law, as well as several other aspects of Human Resources! It was very interesting! A very good way to start the course! Thank you!

By RIYA M P

it was a wonderful experience to do the course.it really helped me to understand what is the relevance of HR. in every organisation.HR is not a rigid concept it is actually a wide concept. the professor have clearly explained all the concepts .

By Pankaj C

Nov 14, 2016

Absolutely Brilliant! This is my first online course and I didn't expect to have such a great time studying online. I believe that it's Prof. John W. Budd's teaching style that had me hooked and his clarity of explaining all topics. Thank you!

By Daisy K

Jul 24, 2019

This was my first introductory course to HRM. Very rich in material, was able to understand and stay engaged till the end! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in an introduction to HRM. Thank you Coursera, thanks Prof. John. W. Budd!

By FARHAAN H

May 22, 2020

Excellent course, everyone interested in HRM should do this course. Excellent explanation for all. Detailed and each and every information is apt and accurate...!!! I recommend this to all...!!! Thanks to the team for all their hard work

By ELIZABETH G

Apr 21, 2020

I loved this course! I have been an HR Recruiter for 5 years and this was a great overview of management styles, HR strategies, employment law. The interviews with executives were also extremely enlightening. Thank you so much Dr. Budd!!

By Carly N

Jun 23, 2018

Excellent course. The material was presented very clearly and easy to follow and it was engaging with all the graphics. The pacing was great and I liked the bonus articles and material provided. I feel I learned a lot in just one course.