Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

MG

Mar 21, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

SH

Sep 01, 2020

Coursera is an online learning platform with a focus on higher education. Much like its competitors Udemy, MasterClass, and Skillshare, Coursera is completely online and covers a wide range of topics.

126 - 150 of 1,497 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Wendy A W

Aug 14, 2018

I found the content and context of the video's to be very informative. I also like the class discussions and interactions. I really learned great stratagies and a better understanding of how to look at my team as individuals.

By GARY H T C

Jan 22, 2018

This course is one of the best course Ive ever taken. It's way more interesting than i expected. My instructor John Budd is super nice. Everyone who wants to learn more about managers role have to try this course, not regrets.

By Anjali R

Jul 09, 2020

It is such an amazing course for starting your career in the HR field. It will help you build the foundation and will make you understand what things you should focus on. Thank you so much for offering such an amazing course.

By Nienke T

Oct 31, 2018

Interesting and exciting course. At first I thought it was very dry with the instructor tiny in the corner, but the instructor actually has a funny sense of humour and puts in his own personality into the course. Nicely done!

By Jonathan A

Aug 16, 2018

Solid course, more economics than expected but that is not bad thing! I enjoyed it.

Peer Review Assignment was a headache, one person failed me for fun, then I had to wait four days to have someone review my assignment again.

By Victoria P

Apr 03, 2019

So much more academic and theory based than I expected from an online course. Worth so much more than what I paid for it. Highly recommend it for any one who is given responsibility for HR but hasn't been trained to do it.

By Ma W T

Mar 12, 2019

Thank you Professor Budd! This introductory course is very motivating and I am confident to finish this specialization with an in-depth knowledge in human resource. This could lead me to figure out my future career path!

By Yash M

Apr 15, 2020

Very enriching experience. The tutor is awesome. Language used is very simple and understandable easily. The animation used to teach is very good and helps to learn more easily. Overall the course is worth of doing it.

By Ophelie B

Oct 16, 2020

It's amazing to achieve something! The course is well done and clear. I learned so much and for sure it's going to help me in my career. The energy of the teacher and speakers make you feel like you're in a classroom.

By Tracey-Ann D

Apr 22, 2019

I am very happy that I took this course. As a professional who is transitioning into HR from law, this course provided valuable information on the topics I will need to consider as I fulfill my role as an HR Manager.

By Ekereobong E

Oct 29, 2018

A exceptionally great introduction! Enlightening literature, funny interjections, practical examples! I loved this introduction and I am certainly going on to complete the other courses in the specialisation package.

By Pajriah P

Jun 01, 2020

I enjoyed studying in this course because I learned about good management, HR management, the foundation of being a manager, HR laws and norms, and lots of knowledge that I can learn and practice in my daily life.

By Huda C H

Dec 22, 2017

it was made in easy way, matching our lifstyle, in which we can study when time available, also the sequences of the subject was very clear, made the understanding more easy

I would like to Thank all Coursera team,

By Abigail B

Sep 27, 2020

Very dynamic course. I enjoyed all aspects and this was the first online course i completed at this level. My Lecturer was very authentic and engaging in all aspects of the course. Would recommend this to anyone.

By Omotayo A

Mar 17, 2020

This course has been an eye opener into human management. A very detailed course outline with a great facilitator in Mr John. I greatly recommend this course to beginners and any one looking into the field of HR.

By Akanksha D

Jun 17, 2020

Being from a non-hr background, I did not had any previous knowledge about it.But this course was very informative, engaging and useful. I highly recommend it to everyone who wishes to begin his/her HR journey.

By Janel S

Jan 02, 2020

This course helped to broaden my understanding of Human Resources. It was insightful and easy to understand. I like how the course is mapped out and gives valuable examples of how to understand the material.

By Rudray R G

This has been a very interesting and interactive course. every time a small assessment keeps ckeck on whether learning is satisfactory or not.

Proper instructions helps in completing the work in given time.

By Pamela C M

Mar 11, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, because it gives you in a very friendly way, the foundation for this HR Management Specialization, the teacher was really nice and the information they give you is very useful!

By Elodie C

Feb 14, 2017

Good course with a great teacher! A lot of useful and interesting information about HR Management and being a manager. Interesting videos, never boring, good use of pictures, graphics, videos and examples.

By Megan S

Jul 02, 2020

Really enjoyed taking this course. This gave me a general overview as to what is HR and what goes into HR. I highly recommend taking it if you are interested in pursuing HR or want to learn more about it.

By Ananya I H

Jun 02, 2020

Good course. I recommend attending the specialization course and if you don't do the specialization course, then doing this will at least give you an overview of many important aspects of managing people.

By Oluwatoyin D

Apr 17, 2020

The course was very well explained and insightful also the the assignments were thought provoking. I really enjoyed learning the foundation of Human Resources and I feel equipped to start my career in HR.

By SAMARTH A

Feb 02, 2020

This course fits those who want to become Human Resource manager, it teaches from basic to a level where you can gain deep insight of managing various employees with different need and motivating factors.

By APOORV S

Jul 21, 2020

This course provides a very brief and thorough idea about HR theories and policies. The course is structured properly and Prof. Budd is amazing at explaining concepts and theories in brief and easy way.