Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

151 - 175 of 3,290 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By 昊 黄

Jan 17, 2018

It is a pretty nice course that teaches me how to programming using MATLAB. MATLAB is quite a powerful tool that can help handle the data. When I was learning about image processing, I found that MATLAB is quite a handy tool for processing images. In order to learn how to use this powerful tool I took. I signed up this course. But the image toolbox is not covered enough in this course. Maybe I should take some other courses.

By Kishan

Dec 19, 2016

The course is very good for intermediate level people. Highly recommended for the people who is like me who thinks they know basics in matlab, but I can bet your will be stunned how many thing works which you didn't know previously. The last three assignments are horrible. I've spend at least full 4 days to complete them. But overall good experience. Recommended for people who know little bit matlab but wants to dig more.

By Herren T D

Aug 12, 2020

Learning was never this fun, thanks to Vanderbilt University and Coursera. The course had high-quality content, great instructors, and right on exercises. I highly recommend anyone who wants to get a taste of MATLAB, its basic capabilities, and things you can accomplish using it, this should be your go.

Overall the course was fun learning, and the power of MATLAB is immense just gives you head-on with your research.

By subhashree

Jun 7, 2020

It was awesome course for a beginner, though the course gets tougher as weeks pass on still the challenges are brainstorming and helps in developing problem-solving skills. discussion forum helped me a lot in completing my assignments whenever I go out of the track, especially during the final problems. on the whole I would recommend this course for a Matlab beginner with some beginner level of programming skills.

By Amlesh K Y

Jun 19, 2020

Initially I wanted to learn MATLAB for programming skills and try and understand MATLAB functions.

I am glad I did this course and have almost got the sufficient benefits from this course.

I am confident I can be more fruitful in my work and projects in coming future enhancing my skills further on.

Thank you very much for this course and I ask everyone to take this course. You are going to get some real knowledge.

By Mostafa A M N

Jan 23, 2019

it have been a great course, i actually had a matlab course in my university, but this one is so much better and more challenging than the first couse at my university.

i am extremely happy to have this course, because it brought back to me the love of matlab after that terrible course at my college.

thank you all for your hard work, and hope i will meet Dr. fitzpatrik and the staff one day to thank them in person.

By Jesse D

Jun 26, 2016

This course is a great introduction to programming. The homework can be a bit tough, as it will take the concepts taught in the week and have you apply them in novel ways, oftentimes in ways you have to really think through to solve the problem at hand. In doing this, you'll finish the course with a strong understanding of how to use MATLAB, and beyond that the know-how for learning other programming languages.

By Ashutosh G

Apr 17, 2020

An umbrella package for the uninitiated as it starts from scratch and teaches you enough that you get the confidence to explore what MATLAB has got to offer apart from the syllabus covered in the MOOC. Very satisfied after doing this course and fingers crossed that that doing this course will be fruitful and I will be benefited by it.

Thank you for this wonderful course that ignited in me the spark to code!

By Богомолов Д Е

Feb 3, 2019

The course is really very good for beginners. If I had met such a course many years ago, I would have been a programmer a long time ago. After performing various tasks, I learned a lot. Thank you Vanderbilt University, thanks lecturer Mike Fitzpatrick, thanks to all the other teachers and assistants. You do a very useful and good business for the community of novice programmers, scientists and engineers.

By Juan S L M

Dec 18, 2017

This course was an amazing experience! Lectures were simple an easy to follow, easy to understand and the examples given were easy to repeat. The level of the homework required patience. It was easy at the beginning, but it become more challenging every week. Once you have completed this course, you will feel that you have acquired great skills to start your programming career with Matlab. Thanks a lot!

By Abdulmujeeb s M

Nov 21, 2020

Wow!!! this experience was more enjoyable than my normal class room lectures. the way the course was arranged, the way the professors where wonderful at administering this knowledge. The most fun part for me was completing my assignment; able to write codes in different way, debugging and finding errors, and the resourceful forum for when you get stuck was a tasking most enjoyable experience.

Thanks!!!

By kiat

Jul 12, 2020

This provides a great start to anyone who wants to learn MATLAB from ground up, whether if you have programming background or not. Examples are clear and explanatory. Quizzes are challenging. More people should do this course. The quizzes are progressively difficult, but definitely manageable. It is one of the better quality courses that exists on Coursera.

If you are hesitant, try it for a few weeks !

By SALVE K A

Sep 19, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.I really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

By Jeorge J T

Jun 14, 2020

A big thank you to everyone involved in the conception and development of this truly spectacular course. The incredibly funny and intentionally goofy Mike Fitzpatrick made sitting through each video alot more enjoyable regardless of it's length. Its without a doubt that the comprehensive and in depth knowledge provided by this course will benefit my post graduate studies as well as my career goals.

By Adrian J R

Aug 14, 2020

I have a lot of experience with Matlab, but I took the course to refresh (it's been 10 years) and for my LinkedIn profile. The material was all very familiar so it is difficult to assess the level. But I found the lecturer was extremely engaging with an incredibly good, dry sense of humour. And incredible typing speed ;-) The programming challenges were very well thought out in my humble opinion.

By Adem C

Jan 26, 2019

This is a fantastic course for beginners to learn how to use MATLAB. It teaches from the very basics to the more advanced concepts and has really allowed me to extend my mathematical knowledge into programming. My only issue is with the last 2 assignments being really difficult and hard to achieve a simple pass but other than that this is an exceptional course for anyone in the mathematical field.

By Sagar K P

Jul 14, 2020

I want to thank the course organisation and creation team and Mike Sir for bringing such a wonderful course in such a wonderful manner. It was like a roller coaster ride learning this course. The assignments were like games and at the same time they allowed us to apply what we learnt. I think everyone who wants to create an online course should learn the way this course is designed and organised.

By MD A K

Mar 9, 2020

Coursera has been a platform for people who has interest to learn new things and want to upgrade their carrier. Coursera helped me a lot and this course has given me a broad knowledge of Matlab and it was fun to learn with coursera and had a very worderfull experience to learn this course and at last but not the least lecturers were good and had a very good learning experience to learn from them.

By Shunjie Y

Nov 11, 2018

Although this course is basic, it provides good foundation and knowledge for further study. Many thanks for the instructor, all the mentors and classmates on the weekly homework discussion forum. Without their help and inspiration, I couldn't finish some of those challenging homework questions. And thanks for this MOOC platform (Coursera) to provide me an opportunity to learn such good course.

By Ab

Aug 9, 2016

The teacher is of the highest standard, finally someone who can make the complex, simple and interesting! One of the best planned courses I've seen, this is a course definitely worthy of a fee. What I've learnt in the first 4weeks is beyond what I learnt in 1yr at university. Makes such a difference having a teacher that goes the extra mile to make something complex into easy. Very impressive.

By Himalsha D

Jul 8, 2020

This is very much interesting course.The instructor who conducted this course is so much friendly as i felt like he is a my close friend.For everyone those who are seeking for knowledge about MATLAB this will very much helpful as a beginner.But make sure to have a little bit mathematical background before starting the course specially about matrices.Good foundation to be a MATLAB programmer.

By Chawit K

Apr 13, 2020

"Introduction to Programming with MATLAB" provides me a strong basic understanding of MATLAB. The lectures are easy-to-understand, plus levels of assignments are suitable. Apart from MATLAB, this course gave logical algorithms, problem-solving skills, and basic mathematics. I recommend this course for those who want to quickly learn basic MATLAB while having experienced in other programs.

By MAMIDI P K

Jun 30, 2020

For a beginner, this course is simply superb.They will teach right from the scratch, and they will execute every command in matlab.The assignments are really good. The assignments are like open book exam,we have the documentation for every command ,still we have to work hard and have to think smart.Finally, i am very much satisfied with this course. Eagerly waiting for more such courses.

By Will T

May 12, 2020

Really lovely presentation and examples. Loved the encouragement and gentle humor throughout. My only possible criticism (and I'm sure this was an intentional choice) was that it can be very frustrating in the questions to get something wrong, but not see enough of the tested inputs to understand why. Overall, an excellent course to grant familiarity with Matlab and the tools to do more.

By Tiwalade O

Nov 12, 2018

This is a very interesting and Challenging course which really opened my eyes to see the great possibilities that can be achieved through programming. The tutor was absolutely excellent and the progression of the course was superb.

My most interesting and Engaging part of the course is having to tackle the numerous weekly assignments. Thumbs up to the whole crew from Vanderbilt University