Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

151 - 175 of 3,651 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Gaurav S

Mar 28, 2019

I have been using MATLAB for some time, yet this course did not cease to amaze me by teaching the fundamentals of the language. In fact, I am feeling that I did not know a few MATLAB basics before doing this course. I wish I had done this introductory course earlier to improve my programming skills. I am very sure that leanings from this one are going to help me in my career.

p.s. - Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick is the coolest tutor I have ever seen.

By María J S G

Jul 10, 2017

Me ha parecido un curso muy recomendable y muy interesante para todos los estudiantes universitarios y quizás de Bachillerato, aunque el nivel no es muy sencillo, que necesiten hacer realizar cálculos matemáticos y programar funciones matemáticas en general y en particular de Algebra, Cálculo o bien que necesiten programación para resolución de problemas de Física , Química u otras Ciencias experimentales que requieran de cálculo matricial.

By Jaybird

While stuck in quarantine, I thought I'd take this time to learn a new skill. Although online courses usually have a negative perception of being boring and ineffective, the "Introduction to Programming with MATLAB" course exceeded my expectations and delivered a myriad of interesting topics. Accompanied by detailed resources and challenging courses, as well as helpful and patient teaching staff, this course is definitely worth completing.

By Abdullah D K

Nov 9, 2020

I really loved this course. The instructor was so nice and sincere that it felt like he was teaching the course to someone who he knows rather than a complete stranger he will never see. The pace of the course was good. It did not put a lot of burden to the student. The quizzes covered the topics we covered. The grading system is good and efficient. I feel like I am a lot better at coding in matlab compared to the beginning of the course.

By Ahmed a a s

Jul 25, 2020

I'm really grateful to be one of you students doctor Mike . you taught me how to program a computer. you taught me what is data types and how computers stores data and how to access to this data by cells and how to connect with external world by file I/O and how to make loops and conditions and matrices and functions and you showed me how to plot functions and how to search for any function and many algorithms thanks so much doctor Mike

By Umair U A

Aug 7, 2020

This is a perfect course for a beginner to start programming with MATLAB. The way, the instructor teaches throughout the course involving the learner is what a teaching should be like. The graded assignment at the end of several topics were very useful in developing a better understanding of the topic. Also the assignments at the end of the course were very challenging and useful for testing what we have learnt throughout the course.

By Karoline S S O

May 16, 2021

Soy de Perú y no tuve problemas para entender el curso, ya que tienen subtítulos. El curso es muy útil para el desarrollo de mi carrera y además los videos son didácticos, si bien es cierto que los cuestionarios se pueden desarrollar, también mediante avanzan las semanas la dificultad aumenta en lo personal me tomaban más de una hora por lo cual recomiendo que revisen los foros, son de ayuda. Gracias por el conocimiento brindado!!!!

By Oscar G P H

Mar 9, 2020

The course material was really good, they explain very clear all the topics, about the assignments I am not sure, some times it feels like they were asking for something ahead of what you know at the moment, also Matlab has too many inner functions that are very useful but you have to spend a lot of time looking for what you need. Overall the course is quite good and has helped me a lot in the development of my master thesis.

Regards

By Prajwal T

Feb 6, 2019

This course is really awesome , i have never thought that i would be able to learn MATLAB. But thanks to this course I finally achieve this . This course is really essential to those who might use MATLAB in future indirectly like in machine learning . This course really helps me to solve the problems in an efficient way like solving problem through vectorization and etc.

Lastly thank you to the whole team for providing this course.

By Robin

Sep 16, 2017

This was a great course. I already learned a bit of MATLAB during my studies and enjoyed it at the time, but I found that I was lacking some core skills. This course was both entertaining and challenging at the same time. I recommended this course to a few people already! Although I'd say that you might need more time to solve the problems than stated in the course, but your milage may vary. Could be that I am just slow, too :-).

By Ubaydullo R

Nov 28, 2016

First, I would like to thank Mr. Mike Fitzpatrick and Mr. Akos Lebeczi for providing such a great Introduction to Matlab course.

I would highly recommend this course for anyone who is looking for a complete Introductory course for Matlab. Lectures are helpful and informative. I found them pretty helpful and I do recommend everyone to pay close attention to what Mr. Mike talks about. I hope you'll enjoy this course. Good Luck!!!

By 昊 黄

Jan 17, 2018

It is a pretty nice course that teaches me how to programming using MATLAB. MATLAB is quite a powerful tool that can help handle the data. When I was learning about image processing, I found that MATLAB is quite a handy tool for processing images. In order to learn how to use this powerful tool I took. I signed up this course. But the image toolbox is not covered enough in this course. Maybe I should take some other courses.

By Kishan

Dec 19, 2016

The course is very good for intermediate level people. Highly recommended for the people who is like me who thinks they know basics in matlab, but I can bet your will be stunned how many thing works which you didn't know previously. The last three assignments are horrible. I've spend at least full 4 days to complete them. But overall good experience. Recommended for people who know little bit matlab but wants to dig more.

By Herren T D

Aug 12, 2020

Learning was never this fun, thanks to Vanderbilt University and Coursera. The course had high-quality content, great instructors, and right on exercises. I highly recommend anyone who wants to get a taste of MATLAB, its basic capabilities, and things you can accomplish using it, this should be your go.

Overall the course was fun learning, and the power of MATLAB is immense just gives you head-on with your research.

By subhashree

Jun 7, 2020

It was awesome course for a beginner, though the course gets tougher as weeks pass on still the challenges are brainstorming and helps in developing problem-solving skills. discussion forum helped me a lot in completing my assignments whenever I go out of the track, especially during the final problems. on the whole I would recommend this course for a Matlab beginner with some beginner level of programming skills.

By Amlesh K Y

Jun 19, 2020

Initially I wanted to learn MATLAB for programming skills and try and understand MATLAB functions.

I am glad I did this course and have almost got the sufficient benefits from this course.

I am confident I can be more fruitful in my work and projects in coming future enhancing my skills further on.

Thank you very much for this course and I ask everyone to take this course. You are going to get some real knowledge.

By Mostafa A M N

Jan 23, 2019

it have been a great course, i actually had a matlab course in my university, but this one is so much better and more challenging than the first couse at my university.

i am extremely happy to have this course, because it brought back to me the love of matlab after that terrible course at my college.

thank you all for your hard work, and hope i will meet Dr. fitzpatrik and the staff one day to thank them in person.

By Jesse D

Jun 26, 2016

This course is a great introduction to programming. The homework can be a bit tough, as it will take the concepts taught in the week and have you apply them in novel ways, oftentimes in ways you have to really think through to solve the problem at hand. In doing this, you'll finish the course with a strong understanding of how to use MATLAB, and beyond that the know-how for learning other programming languages.

By Ashutosh G

Apr 17, 2020

An umbrella package for the uninitiated as it starts from scratch and teaches you enough that you get the confidence to explore what MATLAB has got to offer apart from the syllabus covered in the MOOC. Very satisfied after doing this course and fingers crossed that that doing this course will be fruitful and I will be benefited by it.

Thank you for this wonderful course that ignited in me the spark to code!

By Vivek K Y

Jan 8, 2021

This course helped to upgrade my skill sets and to enhance my knowledge up-to-date with the leading industrial transformation and developments in the engineering fields emerging as the key technological basis for the future credibility of our revolutionizing worlds towards a better future. This course provided me the real-world coding and hands-on experience in project work with MATLAB environment system.

By Богомолов Д Е

Feb 3, 2019

The course is really very good for beginners. If I had met such a course many years ago, I would have been a programmer a long time ago. After performing various tasks, I learned a lot. Thank you Vanderbilt University, thanks lecturer Mike Fitzpatrick, thanks to all the other teachers and assistants. You do a very useful and good business for the community of novice programmers, scientists and engineers.

By Juan S L M

Dec 18, 2017

This course was an amazing experience! Lectures were simple an easy to follow, easy to understand and the examples given were easy to repeat. The level of the homework required patience. It was easy at the beginning, but it become more challenging every week. Once you have completed this course, you will feel that you have acquired great skills to start your programming career with Matlab. Thanks a lot!

By Abdulmujeeb s M

Nov 21, 2020

Wow!!! this experience was more enjoyable than my normal class room lectures. the way the course was arranged, the way the professors where wonderful at administering this knowledge. The most fun part for me was completing my assignment; able to write codes in different way, debugging and finding errors, and the resourceful forum for when you get stuck was a tasking most enjoyable experience.

Thanks!!!

By kiat

Jul 12, 2020

This provides a great start to anyone who wants to learn MATLAB from ground up, whether if you have programming background or not. Examples are clear and explanatory. Quizzes are challenging. More people should do this course. The quizzes are progressively difficult, but definitely manageable. It is one of the better quality courses that exists on Coursera.

If you are hesitant, try it for a few weeks !

By SALVE K A

Sep 19, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.I really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.