Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

151 - 175 of 1,019 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Furkan Y

Feb 21, 2017

This course is very helpfull for the learning MATLAB

By Aman R V

Nov 30, 2017

very much effective.

By Thomas C

Apr 04, 2017

Great easy to follow course

By Veekshit U A

Jun 26, 2018

A well detailed course which starts from simple basics to complex calculations.

By Burak B

Oct 29, 2017

Course was very educational and helpful. The difficulties of assignments were also good. Except 5th question of 8th assignment, that question was terrible.

By Ilias A S

Mar 05, 2017

Great course. Great videos that are even fun to watch. Perfect course for anyone who wants to either learn Matlab from scratch or wants to refresh his College basics.

By Flávio M

Jun 04, 2017

Wonderful course.

I really learned even without any experience with programming.

Helpful tutors and very informative classes

By garatasari

Feb 28, 2017

this lesson offer much help for new comers in this domain like me.

By FAQRUL H

May 27, 2018

Excellent resource to get started with MATLAB. Detailed explanation in book chapters and great presentation makes it really effective to learn the programming.

By Danni S

Sep 12, 2017

A comprehensive and well-structured course for whoever's new to MATLAB or programming.

By Chengkai F

Mar 15, 2017

Amazing course!!! This is my first time trying a web-course and also the first time for programming. The lectures are well-prepared and clear. The homework is challenging but not impossible, which enabled me to learn a lot. The friendly mentors response my questions fast and in details, which makes me feel supportive. Highly recommended!

By Sarayut P

Jan 22, 2017

Great teaching and material, easy to understand, I'm taking class.

Hope more fluency in MATLAB when class is finished.

By simun

Mar 16, 2017

Very good and wide course for matlab. I will probably never use most of this stuff in the course but it's nice to know something about them. I would recomend this course to everyone.

By 肖怀曙

May 14, 2017

我的计算机语言入门居然会是matlab,完美!

By Caleb A

May 08, 2018

As a physics/math major transitioning into mechanical engineering for my graduate degree, I enrolled in this course to refresh and refine my programming skills as well as to aid improve my MATLAB-specific skills. I had been briefly exposed to MATLAB, and had also taken some introductory courses in Python, R, and FORTRAN, but I expected to learn from this course. And it did not disappoint!

The course is well designed with an emphasis on general programming through the use of MATLAB as an interface. I believe MATLAB is probably one of the better intro programming languages to learn because its syntax is comparatively intuitive and simple for beginners compared to other languages such as FORTRAN and C/C++/C#. The primary lecturer in the course video instruction is Dr. Fitzpatrick, an adjunct professor of electrical/computer engineering who demonstrates expert level proficiency in both presenting and explaining the material. He is also, dare I say, quite a charming and witty gentleman who gave a refreshing and engaging presentation of material that may otherwise have seemed monotonous. I highly recommend the complementary course e-text, which is filled with more in-depth explanations of more advanced topics, more worked-through problems, and more practice problems with solutions. It's only $10, and it will be a great reference guide.

I will mention that the course demands a significant amount of time, especially towards the end where problems become much more complex. Even having some background in programming, it still took me much longer than the suggested homework time to work through the last several assignments. I also would have preferred the course to have a more detailed explanation of some of the aspects of MATLAB that make it stand out as a programming language, such as its plotting. I suppose much of that is included in the extensive documentation, though, and the course is designed to provide beginner programmers with the basic tools at their disposal to code. I would look forward to a more advanced sequel course that would provide further details on solving more complex problems, especially in the physical sciences, as well as outlining how some of the numerical methods of problem solving are implemented in MATLAB.

By Sami E A

Mar 17, 2017

Really good course. If you complete all the problems by yourself and really push to get 100% in all assignments you will surely gain the skills to program in matlab. I started the course with little to no programming experience with matlab and this course really did it for me.

By Mithil V

May 04, 2017

It was very good

By Hsiang-Yun C

Apr 16, 2017

Great class! The course and the problem sets are both very interesting and reasonably challenging. My only suggestion is that a few of the problems are difficult to understand. If those questions can be described in more plain English, students can solve the problems faster. Nevertheless, the discussion forum is very helpful since all of my questions have been asked and answered.

By Abedeera J S P N

Nov 23, 2017

The best course which I would recommend for any of beginners in programming with MATLAB. Though i had little experience in MATLAB while I am completing my M.Sc. course work, there I did not get an opportunity to learn the basic stuff. I had the thought of filling the gaps in my knowledge and followed the course. Actually, I learnt a lot and to the best level which anyone can have knowledge of the basics. Thank you Coursera and Vanderbilt university. Special thanks goes to chief instructor Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick.

By Syed S I

Aug 07, 2017

achieved great experience in programming in matlab with fun

By Pritam S

Jun 29, 2017

Thanks a lot! Course content of this course is extremely good. I am hearty thankful to Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick and Prof. Akos Ledeczi for their brilliant teaching. I am looking forward for the advanced version of this course such as MATLAB for Numerical Methods.

By Jiaxuan L

Feb 06, 2018

Very Interesting Course! It is super easy to follow.

By Pok F C

Jul 10, 2017

Clear Explanation. Good for people without programming background. But MATLAB has very different syntax in some cases from other popular languages. (eg. array index starts from 1 but not 0) These are quite annoying. That's not the problem of the instructor of course. The instructor gives very good lectures! The homework problems are also interesting!